advice for a new computer

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

minderbinder

advice for a new computer

Post by minderbinder » Sun May 06, 2012 12:23 am

hi all,
i'm new here so excuse me if i do it wrong :oops:
i need a new computer which would be my work comp. for graphic design- mainly ADOBE CS5 programs (photoshop, indisign, illustrator etc')
it will also be my DAW for recording music (through an external soundcard- echo gina 3g)
i'm going with:
*Intel Ivy Bridge Core i5 3550 Socket 1155 6MB 3.3Ghz Tray
*motherboard- Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=4150#sp
*case- Fractal Desing Define R3
*2 HDD- a 80GB for OS and softwares, and a 500GB for everything else
my quetions regarding noise issues:
1. is this graphic card quiet enough- MSI GTX460 2GB GDDR5?
if not- can anyone recommend a good silent graphic card at this price level?
2.what is the difference between these 2 PSU's- Seasonic PSU 620W S12II vs. Seasinic 650W SS-650JT?
which one is more quiet? are they quiet enough for recording?
3. is this cooler quiet and suitable - Scythe KATANA 3?

would greatly appreciate any intake u guys might have, and any reccomendations what so ever... :D

thanks
B.

CA_Steve

Re: advice for a new computer

Post by CA_Steve » Sun May 06, 2012 8:39 am

Hi and Welcome to SPCR!

I have a couple of questions and comments.
DAW:
- Is this PC going to be in the room with a live mic or just needs to be quiet enough to not bug you?
- Are you using PCI?
Adobe:
- Do you have a Cuda specific function? If not, why not use the integrated gpu for the display acceleration features in CS5?
General:
- When you say 80GB HDD...do you mean you have an Intel SSD? :)
- I don't know your budget...but both of your main uses get a speed bump from hyperthreading and the larger cache in the i7's.
- PSU: First, you really don't need a 600+W PSU. If you have a live mic, then you'll want a PSU that is passive at your loads. More on this in a bit.
- What's aiming you toward the B75 chipset?

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sun May 06, 2012 9:20 am

I'm going to go out there and say that the Echo Gina 3g really is not the interface you're going to want to keep using. PCI, since Sandy Bridge was released, has been very hit or miss. I believe the Q67 chipset had native PCI capabilities, but it was really dependent on the ITE bridge used to send PCI data over the PCI-e bus. Some users have luck, some don't. Unless you've seen other people using this board successfully with PCI audio interfaces, I'm going to say you're much better off with an external interface, USB or Firewire. Less hassle that way.

As far as the graphics go, I agree with CA_Steve, that's a lot of GPU for a basic use machine. If you're bent on using a dedicated GPU, I'd really look into a lower end card (GTX520, GTX430) rather than such a monster of a card. It'll keep the heat, noise and power consumption down considerable. The integrated GPU on the newer Intel series CPUs is very good, much better than older motherboard IGP, so I would opt for just using that. It will also keep the heat down considerably. I just don't see the need in such a high powered card for this. Photoshop is demanding, but not in the same way as a game.

The Fractal Design is a big case for a mATX board, it's not really going to be the best thing for you to use, IMHO. I've been playing around in Silverstone cases, specifically the PS07B, and it's an absolutely wonderful case to work in. Separates the power supply, ships with very good fans, looks nice, and has a support for larger tower heatsinks built right in. Very manageable case, so I would strongly suggest looking at it. Not expensive either.

For recording, to keep the noise down, I would also opt for using a tower heatsink in a semi-passive cooling setup, with just a rear exhaust fan being used, if you opt for the PS07B, it's a very small, and friendly case for lots of airflow, so you can run the case with two fans (CPU + Exhaust) and be done with it. Lots of tower heatsinks to chose from. I'm a long time fan of the Scythe Ninja, but there are many to choose from. Again, the PS07B has a support for tower heatsinks built in, so you don't have to worry about the weight.

If you choose to stay away from a high powered GPU, I think you could get away with 300-400W max. in terms of a PSU. There are a lot of good passive units in that range, CA_Steve can elaborate on that.

Only thing is that for basic use, I'm not sure an i7 would give much benefit...I do both audio work and photo editing, and my Q9400 gets the job done just as good as any other. I'm sure Ivy Bridge is faster, but I'd be tempted to go for the i5 3570T if you could find it, more out of personal preference, I just don't see the need to go all out with 3.7GHz.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Sun May 06, 2012 10:13 am

Usually, a powerful quad-core would probably be too much for a Scythe katana 3. But the Katana 3 is surprisingly capable according to the SPCR review and Intel has done much to lower the TDP (to 77W). Since you're not overclocking, I'd be inclined to say that the Katana 3 should be adequate.

minderbinder

Post by minderbinder » Sun May 06, 2012 11:58 am

thanks for the detailed reply!
as you all suggested, im dropping the GPU and going with the i5 3570k on a h77 based motherboard, also a less powerful PSU.. will post options if i can't make up my mind
thanks for the help. it's a great forum!

B.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Mon May 07, 2012 7:21 pm

Sounds a bit better, the GMA4000 in the 3570k will be powerful, although I'm curious as to whether you're really going to see a benefit over the GMA2500.

H77 boards are great, I don't think you'll need too much else. As far as CPU cooling goes, you aren't going to see a huge heat output, the stock cooler will be quite nice to start, you may even be able to run passive, or close to it depending on the case.