Need advice- 1st PC build using Temjin-TJ08-E Motherboard ?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jgcooler

Need advice- 1st PC build using Temjin-TJ08-E Motherboard ?

Post by jgcooler » Tue May 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Greetings Everyone!

I've been lurking around this website for about two weeks now. I've learned tons of new information and decided to join. Awesome site. :D

Please forgive my lack of knowledge in many areas. I understand most of the concepts here.

Here's my quest- My old system (Dell Pentium 4 with 160gig HD and 1g-ram, XP) is really showing it's age. I'm surprised it even boots up.
I've thought about just doing what most people (neophytes) do and go buy a new Windows-7 machine with all the bells and whistles.
For one, I can't bring myself to spend $500+ on a typical HP or Lenovo system. I like to tinker too much and want the ability to upgrade this time.

So here are a few questions: (I will not be Overclocking) Plan on going with Intel... G620 or i3. 4-8 gigs 1333 Ram. Windows 7

Motherboard? I do not use my PC for gaming. So I'm not into the high-end GPU's etc... I would like to run Photoshop and have enough HP to run video (movies) and play music.
I like to have 2+ HDD's for future file storage. I'm open to lower-end GPU if that's what it takes... but right now, I'm looking for a cost effective Mother board.
USB 3.0 would be nice. On board graphics works too... as would a DVI connecter

I've seen some nice package deals (MOBO and CPU) and am wondering where to start? ASUS, Intel, Gigabyte...there's more than few options.

I love the idea of keeping everything cool. Maybe not 100% silent...but that's okay. What do you think? I don't want to go "cheap" and later regret it...

I just want a solid PC that can run a few graphics and allow me to process data. Sorry for the redundancy.

Love to hear your suggestions. Thank you!

HFat

Re: Need advice- 1st PC build using Temjin-TJ08-E Motherboa

Post by HFat » Wed May 09, 2012 1:53 pm

Graphics are integrated into the CPU nowadays. So, strictly speaking, they wouldn't be "onbard". You just need a motherboard which allows you to make use of the processor's graphics (most of them are designed to do that).
You can use an HDMI port with a DVI cable with an adapter by the way.

A basic motherboard (H61) is all you need but if you want to upgrade later you should pick a board which supports the current generation of CPUs called Ivy Bridge, not just last year's (what you're going to buy because the current generation is too expensive at the moment).

Your main issues with regard to noise will be the power supply and the drives. If you've got a problem with the noise your fans are making, you'll be able remedy that cheaply and without rethinking the whole build. Cooling your CPU is not going to be a very difficult problem. But changing the power supply or the drives would be another matter.

I don't know if you can suspend drives in your case and what kind of drives you want exactly but you should pay attention to the type of drives you want as well as the room you've got to mount the drives in a way that won't be noisy. Laptop drives are easier to silence but have less storage capacity.
You should also consider ditching your plan to use several spinning drives. If you get a single 2TB drive for instance, you'd have over 12 times your current storage capacity!

Normally I'd recommend a motherboard with an integrated power supply for your application but if you want to be able to upgrade later without limitations, you want a standard power supply. But the best standard power supplies are expensive and the models with the best value for your purpose aren't always available. Do you really value your ability to upgrade a cheap build so much that you're willing increase its price and/or noise considerably?

jgcooler

Re: Need advice- 1st PC build using Temjin-TJ08-E Motherboa

Post by jgcooler » Wed May 09, 2012 9:07 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I like the idea of using one HDD. Maybe two. Good idea. I didn't know about the DVI-to-HDMI converter.
Perhaps this gives me more options on a motherboard choice.

I was thinking of going with this:

Intel Pentium G620 and the Asus P8H61-M LE/CSM Motherboard.

Everything else will be purchased new. PSU? Maybe looking for 450-500w.