H67/H61 questions

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Gohan

H67/H61 questions

Post by Gohan » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:25 am

Hi, I'm looking to pick up a H67/H61 mini-itx or matx board in the next few days. I need a board that supports the following though:

IGP overclocking
CPU undervolting
Disabling CPU Cores (eg turning 2 cores off)
Low idle power consumption

I was looking at the following, but can't confirm the features.

MSI H61M-E33 B3
MSI H67MS-E33 B3
Asus P8H61-I

Any idea's or recommendations?

Cheers, Ryan

Gohan

Re: H67/H61 questions

Post by Gohan » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:58 am

OK I have found out that the MSI H67MS-E33 B3 can do all that I need from it except I'm still unable to confirm if I can disable CPU cores. Anyone know?

Kaassouffle

Re: H67/H61 questions

Post by Kaassouffle » Wed May 09, 2012 12:54 am

I'm not sure why you would want to turn cores off? I'm guessing it is for lower power consumption though and your current choice hits the spot. Intel and MSI motherboard often have low power consumption compared to other brands. I don't know if it's even possible to turn off cores, I don't think so (correct me if I'm wrong though). But I don't think you will gain much by turning them off. The idle state of the cpu will not be affected a lot (in terms of power consumption), and by turning cores off you will lose cpu performance, increasing the time your cpu remains under load, where the real big power consumption is. You're probably better off with all cores turned on so it can 'rush to idle' faster. Regarding your current choice, MSI makes excellent power efficient boards, and the platform you've chosen is already very power efficient so I think you're pretty spot on :)