Looking for case with top chimney vent cap

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

macq

Looking for case with top chimney vent cap

Post by macq » Tue May 08, 2012 7:31 pm

In a tower (mid-tower) case I want a top vent for a fan.

I don't plan to install a fan, but want the passive ventilation the vent provides. I've found a couple cases with mesh filter under the vent grate. These would catch some/most of the dust. But, I know from experience these will still allow some dust through and are harder to clean - requiring a vacuum. My fanless PSU will be mounted under there and I don't want any dust to pass.

Ideally, I'd like a hard cap over the vent but obviously raised above it to allow air to escape - much like a chimney cap covers a flue.

This would protect from all dust and be easily cleaned. A quick wipe of a damp cloth will do - just like I do with the rest of the case.

Has anyone seen anything like this or done something equally clever for this problem?

flemeister

Re: Looking for case with top chimney vent cap

Post by flemeister » Tue May 08, 2012 8:40 pm

You'll still get dust wafting in through the gaps, and especially through the honeycomb vent at the back of the PSU.

How about a Demci Flex filter for the top vent? Easy to clean with a damp cloth, and uses a magnet to attach itself. You could use some magnetic strips to stick to the top of the case if needed.

http://www.demcifilter.com/

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue May 08, 2012 10:25 pm

Antec Solo II (no filter)
Silverstone TJ08-E and PS-07 (have filters on the top vent)
Corsair 550D (i belive it also has filters on the top twin 120mm fan opening)

Bar81

Post by Bar81 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:46 am

flemeister wrote:You'll still get dust wafting in through the gaps, and especially through the honeycomb vent at the back of the PSU.

How about a Demci Flex filter for the top vent? Easy to clean with a damp cloth, and uses a magnet to attach itself. You could use some magnetic strips to stick to the top of the case if needed.

http://www.demcifilter.com/
That is exactly what I am going to be trying with my SOLO II.