Silent Gaming Computer Feedback

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jpplautz

Silent Gaming Computer Feedback

Post by jpplautz » Thu May 17, 2012 10:34 am

Hello all,

I'm a recent convert to this website, and although computer noise never bothered me in the past I am becoming increasingly aware of how loud my current computer is. My current computer has no components newer than about 5 years old and is starting to really fall behind the times.

I've put together computers in the past, but am not very savvy about components and compatibility. I've thrown this together as a build using information on this site and elsewhere. Any advice regarding any components from a performance/noise standpoint would be very welcome.

Not that interested in overclocking, but I do want a system that will function well enough for several years (like my current one did). Shaving off a few bucks here or there would be very welcome.

Total cost comes in ~1200

Case: Silverstone PS-07 $80

Power Supply:SeaSonic S12II 380B 380W ATX12V $57

Video Card: HIS IceQ X H687QN1G2M Radeon HD 6870 1GB $170
Card fan: GELID Solutions GC-VGA02-01 $55

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 $240

Heatsink: Noctua Cooler NH-C12P $75

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5TB $130
Crucial 64GB SSD $80

DVD Drive: Asus DVD Burner 24X $18

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-M $135

Ram: Mushkin 8GB Ram $60

Wireless Card: EDIMAX EW-7722In Wireless Adapter $30

Thanks in advance, and also thanks for this great website, it's been very informative for me!
-J

lapon

Re: Silent Gaming Computer Feedback

Post by lapon » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:31 am

It looks like a pretty solid setup. I tend to run a bit overkill on my PSUs, so I would say you might need a bigger PSU, as the CPU (77W) and the GPU (151W) draw 228W of its 324W max on the 12V line. If you are willing to spend twice as much, a nice platinum rated one would be good, much lower waste heat generation: Antec EarthWatts Platinum Series EA-450 450W. This one gives 408W max on the 12V lines, which gives you plenty of headroom. In reality, they will never likely draw anywhere near full power, and even if they did, its not near the top that your PSU can supply.

The only challenge is that you have to balance the load, as the max load on any one 12V line with the SeaSonic is only 204W, less than the theoretical worse case maximum your system will draw. The Antec offers 360W max on each 12V line, meaning less headache while building. Less expensive choice, while still having 80PLUS Bronze is the COOLER MASTER GX 450W RS450-ACAAD3-US, which has one 12V rail with a 420W max, at $50 on newegg. If you want the same power rating, you can go with the Thermaltake TR-380P 380W, which is also $50 at newegg and offers 360W on the 12V line.

Hope that helps! I would also see if the stock coolers on the CPU/GPU is good and quiet under your typical usage before buying new ones. Mine isn't, so I'm looking at the XIGMATEK Dark Knight II SD1283 Night Hawk Edition, revamped with a Scythe SM1425SL12HPVC-V 140mm Case Fan. Roughly similar cost to you set you have, but lighter weight.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:21 pm

Hiya. In order to help tune the parts selection, it helps to know how the PC is going to be used. What apps/games do you plan to use? What's your monitor resolution?

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:37 am

If you intend to OC your CPU then you'd have to go for a "K"-version of the CPU. Also, tower CPU's usually perform better for the same price compared to top-down coolers. I don't know if you've chosen that particular CPU cooler to avoid interference between a CPU cooler and a HD in the HD bay. This leads me to: the HD bay is prone to vibration (at least in the Temjin TJ-08E which has the same looking HD bay. So perhaps you should suspend it somehow or buy a 2,5" HD which is easier to suspend in the 3,5" bay & will not interfere with the CPU cooler because it's shorter than a 3,5" bay (read the SPCR review of the Temjin TJ-08-E for the interference issue)

boost

Post by boost » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:36 am

Very solid setup.
I would use a Scythe Mugen 3 or Ninja 3 and two Scythe S-Flex 120mm 800RPM fans instead of the Noctua cooler and the fans that come with the case. That's more of a minor twaek the system should be very quiet the way you laid it out.
I think the Seasonic PSU has enough power, but does it have a 6-pin PCIe power connector?
If the drive cage is prone to rattling a 2.5" drive is a good idea. I currently use a Lian Li case and the drive cage rattles a bit, too. If you can eliminate that noise the computer will become near inaudible (although I don't know how quiet the Gelid cooler with that particular card will be). 1TB 2.5" drives are readily available, Seagate makes an external 1.5TB 2.5" external drive and Western Digital has a 2TB version. 2.5" drives are more expensive than 3.5" drives but much quieter when seeking. My next boot drive will be a 2.5" 1TB disc.
With a Z77 board you can use the small SSD for caching only, install everything on the larger hard drive, have the SSD cache access and you have both size and speed, it's called Intel Smart Response. I'll get a SSD for caching soon.

Falkon

Post by Falkon » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:53 am

Everything looks good with the exception of the PSU. Also, the CPU cooler boost recommended will probably work better for you as well.
For the power supply the one you listed likely has enough wattage, but voltage on the 12v rail may be inadequate. You could look at something like the Antec Truepower New 550w for around $85. It's supposed to be extremely quiet at low-moderate loads and will provide you with a good amount of headroom.