It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I Need a Smaller Case
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:33 am 

I have a HTPC I built using a Silverstone GD04 case. It works great and runs quietly. I have this old TV stand I'd like to put the HTPC into, but the case is too tall. I was wondering if there was a case anyone knows of that I can transfer the parts over from my old case, but would fit my new requirements, which are 6.5" in height and 16.5" in depth. In my case right now I have:

Micro ATX Board
AMD CPU with Scythe Big Shuriken SCBSK-1000 heatsink
2x2tB HDD
40GB SSD
ENERMAX ECO80+ II EES400AWT_II PSU
DVDRW

I don't even need the optical drive if that helps get the size down. I have an external to install the OS and that's all I use it for. I was looking at a couple cases at NewEgg, here and here. I though it better to ask before I spend the money or perhaps there's a better option out there. Thanks for any help.

Post subject: Re: I Need a Smaller Case
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:25 am 

Also considering building a Micro-ATX build. Are the parts for a Micro-ATX case typically cheaper than an ATX build?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:04 am 

FredGarvin wrote:
I was wondering if there was a case anyone knows of that I can transfer the parts over from my old case, but would fit my new requirements, which are 6.5" in height and 16.5" in depth.

I was looking at a couple cases at NewEgg, here and here..

The two cases you linked should be fine. They don't get much smaller than that without going to a Mini-ITX form-factor.

tido wrote:
Also considering building a Micro-ATX build. Are the parts for a Micro-ATX case typically cheaper than an ATX build?

The only difference is the case and motherboard. All other components are standard size.

Cases tend to be cheaper because they're smaller, with fewer bays and expansion features, reducing the materials cost and construction complexity.

Motherboard prices are almost the same as Full-ATX, since other than the loss of a couple expansion ports, they still have most of the components of a Full-ATX board.

I think the price gap would be larger if Micro-ATX sold better. Full-ATX is still much more popular with the build-it-yourself market.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:54 am 

See
viewtopic.php?p=546616#p546616
for a list of ITX and M-ATX cases with dimensions