Parts Recommendations

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Comradecool

Parts Recommendations

Post by Comradecool » Thu May 17, 2012 9:33 am

Hi all,

I'm starting up plan for my second build ever. My first one was pretty cool, but now that I've got a stripe on my soldier, I'm little older, a little wiser, I want to get serious.

I lurked this board while trying to build my first rig, but through caution to the wind and ended up with a very loud beast. She's a great girl, but like I said, I'm ready for something a bit more mature. I've been reading these forums for the past two days, and in all honesty I'm not any closer to figuring out where and what I should do.

I'd like to build as silent (or quiet if it comes to it) a gaming rig as possible. I'll be playing games like Battlefield 3, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Ghost Recon. And I'd like to play them all on ultra, yada yada. That being said, I also wanted to pick up and Ivy Bridge, and probably a GTX 680, maybe 580 if need be. I'd also like it to be as compact/small as possible. I'm not sure I could get all of this, and not have computer fry with an mATX.

I most likely won't be over clocking. Just not that into tinkering with software.

One build I saw that I was thinking about replicating was from Abula viewtopic.php?f=14&t=62957

So, with those requirements, can anyone recommend me a build? Thanks for your time.

P.S. For those interested my first build:
Case: Corsair 650D (modded: stealth optical drive, front drive bay removed for 5.25 inch fan)
CPU: i5 2500k
GPU: GTX 580
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
CPU Cooler: Thermal Right Silver Arrow
MoBo: Asrock ExtremeGen3
PSU: Corsair ATX800
Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 500Gig

PMcG

Re: Parts Recommendations

Post by PMcG » Thu May 17, 2012 10:15 am

Just curious, why are you doing a new build? That system is still pretty top of the line and the 2500K is still one of the best processors. If you did some fan swaps and added an aftermarket on your 580 you could easily make that build silent.

If you have to do a new build I would agree with you that replicating abdula's with ivy bridge a z77 mobo and 680 with aftermarket cooler would be best. Maybe switch it to the Silverstone P07 so you can swap the front fans if you want true silence.

This is also an excellent mATX build but a bit more challenging in terms of component choice (CPU Cooler limitations) and cable management (I like the case more though) viewtopic.php?f=14&t=63878

If I was doing a new build right now I would definitely go mATX, unless you have lots of expansion cards there is no point to ATX.

Comradecool

Post by Comradecool » Thu May 17, 2012 11:18 am

PMcG wrote:Just curious, why are you doing a new build? That system is still pretty top of the line and the 2500K is still one of the best processors. If you did some fan swaps and added an aftermarket on your 580 you could easily make that build silent.

If you have to do a new build I would agree with you that replicating abdula's with ivy bridge a z77 mobo and 680 with aftermarket cooler would be best. Maybe switch it to the Silverstone P07 so you can swap the front fans if you want true silence.

This is also an excellent mATX build but a bit more challenging in terms of component choice (CPU Cooler limitations) and cable management (I like the case more though) viewtopic.php?f=14&t=63878

If I was doing a new build right now I would definitely go mATX, unless you have lots of expansion cards there is no point to ATX.
Thanks for your response.

I'm mainly doing a new build because I'm tired of gigantic, hulking, heavy computers. Though, I'm going to see how much I can get for my first one. Depending on the price (I'm hoping to get 1100-1200 (due to the fact that that the parts are still cutting edge, and all the time (building/modding) I put into it). If I can't get enough, you may see a post by me here asking how I can silence this machine.

Abdula definitely seems like he knows what he's doing. The P07 looks pretty slick as well. And I'm not going to be SLI/Crossfiring any time soon.

Thanks for the input! 'Preciated.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu May 17, 2012 4:25 pm

+1 on the above. Do some fan-fu to quiet things down, get an aftermarket gpu cooler, and an SSD for OS/Apps and you are done.

Comradecool

Post by Comradecool » Fri May 18, 2012 7:08 am

CA_Steve wrote:+1 on the above. Do some fan-fu to quiet things down, get an aftermarket gpu cooler, and an SSD for OS/Apps and you are done.
I'm debating this as well. I'm kind of curious to see though if I can get a good price for it. I wouldn't mind spending a few more bucks and making a new rig with the 680 and Ivy bridge. And since this computer is still fresh I feel like I can get a decent return on it, in addition to it's freshness all the modding I've done to should beef the price a bit. I'll post some pictures so you guys can see if you're curious. But I'll definitely keep the option open.

Based on the response, I'll probably go with PMcG's advice and follow Abdulla's build.

Comradecool

Post by Comradecool » Fri May 18, 2012 7:12 am

PMcG wrote:This is also an excellent mATX build but a bit more challenging in terms of component choice (CPU Cooler limitations) and cable management (I like the case more though) viewtopic.php?f=14&t=63878

Also, I'd definitely want to go water cooling I think, unless people shy away from it. When I have to go in there to clean, a big CPU cooler like my current Silver Arrow is obnoxious as hell.

Granted, Tubes of water may be more obnoxious. I'm not sure, but quieter, right?

Comradecool

Post by Comradecool » Fri May 18, 2012 10:01 am

So here's what I've got so far based on Abdulla's build and a little digging of my own. I'm still short a couple parts and could use some recommendations:

Case: Silverstone PS07W Newegg

MoBo: Asrock Z77 Pro4-M Newegg

CPU: i5-3550 newegg

GPU: GTX680 Superclocked newegg

GPU Cooler: Need a recommendation here.

SSD: Crucial M4 128GB newegg

RAM: Corsair 8GB Vengance (Low Profile) newegg

PSU: I'm not sure how much power I need, and which one would be good for a silent gaming PC.

What I haven't figured out yet is a CPU cooler, and any after-market fans I need to purchase. I want to make this system as silent as the dead, or as close too it, and as clutter free part wise as possible, so I was thinking water cooling.

I'm going to be just using it for gaming. Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Battlefield 3, the usual suspects, on one screen, at ultra with 60FPS at least.

So my questions, oh wise and benevolent internet:

Is water-cooling my CPU the best avenue for what I'm going for? If so, recommendations? (I was looking at Corsiar's H series (100/80/70)

Is there enough room in this case for the graphics card I have, in configuration with the mobo?

A PSU recommendation, please.

Do you see anywhere in my build where I'm spending more than I need to?

A GPU cooler recommendation, please.

Thanks again, as a person who's not done this much, all your help, advice, and time is really appreciated.

Cheers,
Comrade

Falkon

Post by Falkon » Fri May 18, 2012 10:56 am

Every review/benchmark I've seen so far suggests that the GTX 670 comes very close to the performance of the 680 (<10% less FPS) for about $100 less. Perhaps you could use a 670 and allocate the extra budget towards silencing. By the way, the 670 significantly outperforms the 580.

For a PSU, a Seasonic X-560 or 660 would provide ample silent or quiet power depending on load. I think the X-560 goes for around $110.

Comradecool

Post by Comradecool » Fri May 18, 2012 1:50 pm

Falkon wrote:Every review/benchmark I've seen so far suggests that the GTX 670 comes very close to the performance of the 680 (<10% less FPS) for about $100 less. Perhaps you could use a 670 and allocate the extra budget towards silencing. By the way, the 670 significantly outperforms the 580.

For a PSU, a Seasonic X-560 or 660 would provide ample silent or quiet power depending on load. I think the X-560 goes for around $110.
Thanks, I'll swap that out that card and look at those seasonics.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Fri May 18, 2012 2:52 pm

In general, I wouldn't recommend water cooling for quiet computing. Air cooling is simply much more efficient at mainstream prices for CPU cooling. Here's an example:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1214-page8.html

You're not overclocking so the thermal performance of an already efficient CPU cooler does not have to be that great. A Scythe Mugen 3 would esaily fit your needs. It has great thermal performance, reasonably priced (~40-50 USD) and a great stock fan, so you don't need to find an aftermarket fan. And since you're not overclocking you could save a few bucks by purchasing an H77 main board instead of Z77 main board. But the savings are usually not that significant.

A PSU: I'd go for the popular brands such as Seasonic X or Kingwin. Those are solid investments.

Falkon

Post by Falkon » Fri May 18, 2012 2:58 pm

I like the selection of CPU coolers from Noctua, but they aren't cheap.
I would probably go with a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus in your case and use a quiet PWM fan from Nexus, Scythe or Noctua. Or you can use a quiet 3-pin fan with voltage control via a controller or resistor cable.

I don't have experience with aftermarket GPU coolers but many of the posters here on SPCR seem to have great success with the products from Arctic Cooling and Thermalright.

Comradecool

Post by Comradecool » Sat May 19, 2012 3:39 pm

kuzzia wrote:In general, I wouldn't recommend water cooling for quiet computing. Air cooling is simply much more efficient at mainstream prices for CPU cooling. Here's an example:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1214-page8.html

You're not overclocking so the thermal performance of an already efficient CPU cooler does not have to be that great. A Scythe Mugen 3 would esaily fit your needs. It has great thermal performance, reasonably priced (~40-50 USD) and a great stock fan, so you don't need to find an aftermarket fan. And since you're not overclocking you could save a few bucks by purchasing an H77 main board instead of Z77 main board. But the savings are usually not that significant.

A PSU: I'd go for the popular brands such as Seasonic X or Kingwin. Those are solid investments.
I want to go as minimal, while still being silent as possible with the CPU heatsink. I've heard a lot of things about Noctua, but their size/price isn't very attractive.

I'm unfamiliar with the existence/difference between H77 and Z77. I'll google it. I was going to go with the Asus Maximus Gene-Z or the ASrock to save money (since they're the same company).
Falkon wrote:I like the selection of CPU coolers from Noctua, but they aren't cheap.
I would probably go with a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus in your case and use a quiet PWM fan from Nexus, Scythe or Noctua. Or you can use a quiet 3-pin fan with voltage control via a controller or resistor cable.

I don't have experience with aftermarket GPU coolers but many of the posters here on SPCR seem to have great success with the products from Arctic Cooling and Thermalright.
As I said above, Noctua does have a good reputation. Ideally, I wouldn't mix/match parts. I've read about the Coolermaster.

Thanks to the both of you for your advice.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Sun May 20, 2012 3:55 am

Z77 vs. H77: The Z77 can overclock the CPU. That's about what's relevant. Both can use Intel SRT (SSD caching).

Comradecool

Post by Comradecool » Mon May 21, 2012 8:46 pm

After hitting up another board, and reading up on more reviews, I'm having doubts about which Silverstone to get. It's definitely between the Temjin and the PS-07, I'm just not sure which one would be easier to make silent.

I've not been able to find a review that inspires confidence with one over the other. Though, I'm thinking the PS-07, with two after-market silent fans would be the right choice (including a nice GPU cooler for the 670).

Also, someone recommended a Giled Tranquillo as a <30 option that will be silent. Are you guys familiar with this heatsink and it's reputation?

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Tue May 22, 2012 8:39 am

The heatsink (not the fan) is used in some of the systems from Puget System who have had many builts reviewed here at SPCR. So the heatsink itself should be good. I don't know about the fan though.

toronado455

Post by toronado455 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:52 pm

Regarding the PS07, does anyone know whether the front fan filter is removable?