Still have to decide and I can't 550D/R3/Antec Solo

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

karkee

Still have to decide and I can't 550D/R3/Antec Solo

Post by karkee » Wed May 23, 2012 9:19 am

So I got all my hardware expect for the case ;D

I5 3570, Asus P8Z77-v Deluxe, 2X4gb Gskill ram, Asus GTX 670.

The CPU out of a case, idles at 28 and load on prime is around 50.

This is with the megahalems mega and a noctua PWM fan using the low noise adapter.

I need some help deciding what case I should go with and here are my thoughts so far...

The R3 I think its a little on the bad side in terms off the quallity its made off, filmsie panels etc...

Antec solo 2 , I like the case alot but the room for cable management is just terrible imo :(

Corsair 550D, don't know have mixed feelings. Looks nice, reviews look nice and the temps are not THAT far off I think of the other cases.

Whats your thoughts on this guys? I wouldnt like to see my temps go sky rocket in either of the case I go with.

lodestar

Re: Still have to decide and I can't 550D/R3/Antec Solo

Post by lodestar » Wed May 23, 2012 10:30 am

The Fractal R3 case will be OK, it has the advantage in most places of being somewhat cheaper than the other two. What you could consider is buying another Noctua PWM and installing this in the R3 as the exhaust fan using the motherboard CPU_OPT fan header. Noctua supply a fan extension cable with their PWM fans which will be needed to do this. The existing Fractal R3 exhaust fan could then be moved to the bottom position, or repositioned as an additional front intake. Rather than using the supplied Fractal hardware fan controller you could plug the Fractal fans into the motherboard chassis fan headers. Your motherboard supports Fan Xpert 2 which will give you a lot more options for three pin fan control. Using the Asus BIOS controls and/or Fan Xpert 2 you should then be able to balance fan noise against airflow and component/system temperatures. Running the CPU and exhaust fans as a linked pair works particularly well in gaming setups, it is easier to do because of your choice of motherboard and fans. It should give a quiet idle but increase airflow automatically under gaming stress to contain the GTX 670 temperatures and keep its cooler fan(s) from becoming too prominent.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed May 23, 2012 11:37 am

I would go with Antec Solo II, but im biased as I own it. I would get new fans though, I didnt like the antec included even though its better than old antecs, Scythe SY1225SL12LM-P 120mm Case Fan. The only thing i wish antec would improve in the a new version is the cable management, very little room to route, in my case i only routed case fans and front panel conectors, the 24pin be routed behind the hdd cage... and the 8pin cpu can be routed paralel to the mobo below the psu... but ths could easy been improved if antec increases the space on the back.... still not that bad, just could been better. My second choice would be the 550D, mostly out of looks, to me looks better than solo and r3, but i dont own it to know for sure. Niether of the SPCR reviews got a editors choice, but all 3 seems like really god cases.

paapaa

Post by paapaa » Wed May 23, 2012 2:04 pm

I bought R3 as it was quite cheap, it does everything quite well, no big problems. It is easy to build silent PC with R3. My system now has 2 moving parts: one CPU fan and one case fan. The rest is passively cooled and I use SSD. Radeon 4770 and E6400@2,7GHz stay very cool in heavy load. I can recommend the case. The build quality should be enough for all possible uses.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Wed May 23, 2012 5:38 pm

I have a strong preference for bottom mounted PSU's. The Antec P280 is on sale right now at NewEgg and has a lot more room than the Solo II. Seems to have similar SECC / polycarbonate side panels to keep the noise down:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129179

Snow

Post by Snow » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:01 am

Hi guys,

I'm also deciding between the 550D/R3/R4(not available)/P280

I currently use an old Antec SLK3000B which is getting tight to fit my new hardware and isn't helping with keeping things cool.
First I'll tell you my specs (recently upgraded)

Antec SLK3000B
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
i5 2500K (stock) with Thermalright Silver Arrow
Gigabyte HD5770 (silent cell model/fanless/stock)
4 x 4GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LP (stock)
3 x HDD SATAII
1 x SSD
1 x PCI-e FW card
Seasonic S12-430 which I'm replacing with the new case for a corsair 650HX (hope it's as silent as the seasonic)
1 bottom front intake fan 120mm
1 top front intake fan 120mm (in bay) blowing over 3 suspended HDD's (rubber bands)
1 rear bottom exhaust 120mm fan

What case would best fit my needs? Are all the above cases ready for HD suspension if they even need it? which would be the most quiet where HD noise/vibration is concerned. Currently I have no vibration whatsoever, and the only noise coming from my case is airflow.

Now on to another topic. With my previous rig I had freezes with vertical lines or white screens. I thought since I ran the board at it's max with 4 sticks of RAM it might had something to do with but with my new upgrade I experience the same, only less regularly.
I cannot even run the RAM at tested speeds (1600 instead of 1333) or my rig starts crashing.
One thing I have noticed before and after my upgrade is a squeaking noise coming from the PCI-e connector on my GFX card.
Since my PSU doesn't have a dedicated line for PCI-e it's connected via 2 molex to PCI-e plug. there might even be a HDD connected in between.
Could this be the reason of my problems? PSU failing, not providing enough juicy or not having a dedicated PCI-e line?

Thanks in advance.

RHN

Post by RHN » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:58 am

For some time, I have been searching for a case for a quiet office PC. Not so easy.

I have doubts about the quality of R3 cases, too; in fact, about the quality of most other cases as well, which these days tend to look downright chintzy. I want a solid, quiet, no-BS, utilitarian case. Why is that so hard to find? Dumbed-down aesthetics? Price margins?

The Solo II seems best for my purposes, but the glossy black piano finish, placement of front panel USB, and cable management are significant design errors.

Since I want to install a front panel hard drive/SSD power switch with up to six cables (up to five HDDs/SSDs, one Blu-Ray drive), the P280, with its superior cable management, should be the better choice, but it's also a few sizes too large for a fairly rudimentary build using the on-board graphics of an Ivy Bridge processor. On the other hand, up to five HDDs, a card reader, the BR drive, and the power switch puts the build into a class beyond a simple office PC.

Moreover, the P280 has a door, making it less easy to use the power switch, and I would probably end up replacing the Antec-supplied fans with quieter ones, adding to expense.

I would welcome a mini-version of the P280, but nothing of that kind seems to be heading our way.

Moogles

Post by Moogles » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:39 am

RHN

Post by RHN » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:27 am

Thanks, Moogles! Very interesting, though not quite what I'm looking for.

karkee

Post by karkee » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:49 am

I am building my system in the corsair 550D, I think its the best case atleast from all the new cases made for noise reduction.

Though coming from a P183, I still think the case muffled noise better then the 550D.

And I am still undecided if I might wanna buy the P183 v3 instead of using the 550D.