Nzxt H2, there is still work to be done...

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

AckeDman

Nzxt H2, there is still work to be done...

Post by AckeDman » Thu May 24, 2012 2:30 pm

Specs:
NZXT H2 | Seasonic X-460FL 460W | ASUS P8Z68-V PRO | Intel Core i5-2500K & Noctua NH-U12P| Corsair 8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz (2x4GB) | Sapphire HD 6950 1GB | Samsung SSD 128GB 830-Series, Western Digital Caviar Green 750GB & Seagate 2TB

Notes:
*Havent cut out back vent yet, would probably yield 3-5c case ambient temp on idle. - I am now unsure of this. Anyone know if its worth it?
*Havent done front cut out modd yet. Again, would probably give a little better temps. This one is easier to do then back vent because back vent mean taking out all the parts first. - 1 of the front fans stopped working, also i figured out that this is unwise because the mesh is integrated on to the fan fram as well as a dust filter.
*The accelero S1 fits the HD6950 well but its probably a little over its head on this GPU. With NF-P12 at 5v its idle at 51c! Load after 10-15min of OCCT is 80c. I think it would fail after 1h. - i am going to uppdated soon with how the temps are with two fans once i get it done
*The seagate 2TB was a freebie so dont judge, planning on changing soon enough to 3TB WD. - Picked up a 2TB WD on the cheap instead, will replace the Seagate 7200rpm
*Suspension is shabby but i dont have the right tools here yet and the drivecage is bolted onto the case and a little thin for suspension. This suspensio does however seem to work alright. Its probably the 7200rpm that if anything could case any sound.
*If i do work out a good suspension system for the drive cage i could suspend up to 8 disks no problem. I have ordered the tichté vibration killer but for now suspension is still shabby
*PSU is fantastic, 460w of passive greatness!
*Better cable management, picks coming soon.

Uppdates in blue.

Edit:
The changes. I tried removing the hot swap hdd bay on top but after removing lots of screws it still wouldnt come of so i put back the screws and now the cover is bent! :? :(. I also removed the top vent cover and mesh and hardmounted 140mm prolimatech blue vortex after i saw good review from MikeC. However the hardmounting is a BAD way of doing it, i definitly feel vibrational noise signature. I will try bungycords if i can find ones that fit well. Also improved cable manegment, thou it doesnt seem that way. The bottom doesnt have a fan because i have difficulties trying to fit a 120mm there with the PSU :( . I will definitly try later but for now it might be empy.

140mm on top vent. Mounted with screws so cause vibration and im not sure how the sound changes by being mounted vertically. Temps for CPU are now idle 35-39c and load 59-60c. Very good.

I shouldnt have tried to remove the hot swap bay.

Went from 1x120mm to 2x120mm. Temps havent changed for the better thou so i suspect the weight from 2 fans decreases the pressure of the heatsink on the GPU. Went up to 95c on furmark in 5min.

Also for now i just added the new 2TB WD drive and later i will do mount in 5,25 bay with Tichté vibration killer. Then i will also have a lot more space for more fans if need be.

There isnt many people here who show of their Nzxt H2 rigs...
Last edited by AckeDman on Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tzeb

Re: Nzxt H2, there is still work to be done...

Post by Tzeb » Thu May 24, 2012 5:00 pm

You should add another fan to the s1. Inspiration here - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=64355 8)

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Thu May 24, 2012 10:11 pm

I'll post my NZXT H2 system soon. I took off the top vent and the top mesh grill and then drilled some holes in the white metal to suspend a 120 mm fan. If you need a little more airflow I guess.

AckeDman

Post by AckeDman » Thu May 24, 2012 10:27 pm

Tzeb wrote:You should add another fan to the s1. Inspiration here - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=64355 8)
Thank you for the tip. I might actually do this because i might buy Noctua PWM fan on ebay. Then i will have another NF-P12 free so might as well use it.

Do i suck out the air from the S1 or should i blow air on it? If i decide to suck out air, should i put a 140mm fan on the top vent?

I wonder how many fans i can fit on this :twisted:

Tzeb

Post by Tzeb » Fri May 25, 2012 3:52 am

The best thing would be to have two 12 CM PWM fans blowing air on the S1. You would need the PWM adapter - http://www.quietpc.com/products/casefan ... -vga-cable and the PWM splitter - http://www.quietpc.com/products/casefan ... -pwm-cable

After you connect both fans to the card's fan header, you can control them easily with speedfan, at the same time, hassle free! :twisted:

500 RPM idle and ~950 RPM at load will keep the 6950 safe.

I wouldn't bother with a top fan. Just don't have any fan over ~550 RPM at idle and the sistem will be dead silent.

AckeDman

Post by AckeDman » Mon May 28, 2012 1:51 pm

Tzeb wrote:The best thing would be to have two 12 CM PWM fans blowing air on the S1. You would need the PWM adapter - http://www.quietpc.com/products/casefan ... -vga-cable and the PWM splitter - http://www.quietpc.com/products/casefan ... -pwm-cable

After you connect both fans to the card's fan header, you can control them easily with speedfan, at the same time, hassle free! :twisted:

500 RPM idle and ~950 RPM at load will keep the 6950 safe.

I wouldn't bother with a top fan. Just don't have any fan over ~550 RPM at idle and the sistem will be dead silent.
Thanks for the tip. I dont have pwm fans so i will just control them from my chassi fan controller.

Anyone here have a good solution for the frame of the back vent if i cut out the vent to increase airflow? Im thinking som kind of black rubber.