Hard disk constantly seeking when streaming over network

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

SubMatrix

Hard disk constantly seeking when streaming over network

Post by SubMatrix » Sun May 27, 2012 10:28 am

Hi all,

First post here. I recently acquired a home built HTPC from another SPCR user, but I'm having trouble with hard disk noise, particularly when streaming video files over the network. My HD is the Seagate Momentus 5400.3 ST9160821AS 160GB 2.5" SATA drive, suspended using 1mm stretch magic. I mount my HDs which are located in my main desktop machine, over the network. Both PCs are using Windows 7.

What I've noticed is that when I open a video located on a mounted HD, the hard disk will seek furiously for a long time. I haven't done super extensive testing, but it seems like the larger the media file, the longer it will seek before finally calming down. I don't know if it is doing some sort of buffering, and whether this is unique to Windows 7, or Media Player Classic-Home Cinema (my media player).

Obviously this is prohibitive because it turns my otherwise silent PC into a super loud, audible seeking machine. Anyone have any experience/suggestions with this?

ces

Re: Hard disk constantly seeking when streaming over network

Post by ces » Mon May 28, 2012 8:16 am

I have similar experiences where my hard drive is scurrying around doing something... when there seems like no good reason it is doing so. I look forward to any insightful comments on your posting.

mkk

Post by mkk » Mon May 28, 2012 10:08 am

Just to be sure, check so that it isn't an antivirus program carrying out excessive scanning of video files. Shouldn't be buffering in any case.

HFat

Post by HFat » Mon May 28, 2012 3:21 pm

It's easy enough to see if your media player is doing it. Try another!

Some versions of Windows can copy the files you get from the network on local drives. See if your install is configured to so that. In that case I think you'd have a directory (named CSC by default) taking a lot of room.

There are lots of other potential explanations but I can't think of any that would make much sense if your identified the symptoms correctly (drive seeking for no apparent reason only when you access a large file on the network). An AV shouldn't do this for instance.