Please recommend HDD

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

alexo

Please recommend HDD

Post by alexo » Thu May 24, 2012 7:44 am

Hello people,

My current "storage" HDD is getting old, full and flaky (bad blocks reported in Windows logs even after chkdsk /R) so I am looking for a replacement. Unfortunately, the guide at SPCR was last updated in 2010 and I'd like more current advice.

I need something that is:
- Reliable (statistically...)
- Reasonably fast (lots of files coming in and out, I run applications read and process lots of 0.5-10MB sized files and GB sized archives)
- Reasonably quiet (on 24/7, located in bedroom)

What are my options? What are the recommendations?

Thank you!

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Please recommend HDD

Post by Vicotnik » Thu May 24, 2012 7:56 am

What you describe is not a storage drive imo.

My general recommendation is an SSD for data that's accessed often and a large "green" drive for storage, like the WD GP. If an SSD is too small or too expensive and a large "green" HDD is to slow, then perhaps a WD Blue?

alexo

Post by alexo » Thu May 24, 2012 9:13 am

Vicotnik wrote:What you describe is not a storage drive imo.
It's definitely not a system drive.
What will you call it?
Vicotnik wrote:My general recommendation is an SSD for data that's accessed often and a large "green" drive for storage, like the WD GP. If an SSD is too small or too expensive and a large "green" HDD is to slow, then perhaps a WD Blue?
SSDs in 1TB sizes are not affordable.
The WD Green seems to have "parking" issues, as per other threads in this forum.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu May 24, 2012 9:38 am

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Thu May 24, 2012 9:42 am

I would call it the data drive for the application you are using. If a slow spinning drive is fast enough for your needs, but you don't like the WD GP head park feature there are other "green" drives out there. I like the Samsung F4 for example but it's not as quiet as the WD GP.

alexo

Post by alexo » Tue May 29, 2012 12:22 pm

Are the 7200RPM drives significantly louder than the 5900RPM ones?

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Tue May 29, 2012 12:46 pm

alexo wrote:The WD Green seems to have "parking" issues, as per other threads in this forum.
The head park issue does not occur with Microsoft Windows. If you use Linux, I would advise using the program available to fix the problem.

I find the WD Green drive speed to be more than acceptable, probably because of file system caching at the OS level. I use SSD for my system drive, but the WD Green Drive for all data files. My suspicion is that the WD Green drives may be more reliable due to lower rotational speed. If you are worried about speed and transfer rate of large files, there are some SATA 6.0 Gb/s Green Drives available.

alexo

Post by alexo » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:21 am

m0002a wrote:If you are worried about speed and transfer rate of large files, there are some SATA 6.0 Gb/s Green Drives available.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe that a "Green" drive can come close to saturating a 3GB/s connection so having a faster interface shouldn't improve the speed much.

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:22 pm

Vicotnik wrote:I would call it the data drive for the application you are using. If a slow spinning drive is fast enough for your needs, but you don't like the WD GP head park feature there are other "green" drives out there. I like the Samsung F4 for example but it's not as quiet as the WD GP.
Isn't the AV-GP pretty much the same as Green, but with no head parking?

IdontexistM8

Post by IdontexistM8 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:51 pm

Quick Q as I'm in the market for a couple of drives. . . I did manage to get a few Samsung HD204UIs before they disappeared. I see they are now back but under the guise of the Seagate ST2000DL004. Has Seagate incorporated the tech or simply rebranded? I liked the Samsungs but Seagate makes me nervous, especially with only a 1 year warranty.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:07 am

IdontexistM8 wrote:Quick Q as I'm in the market for a couple of drives. . . I did manage to get a few Samsung HD204UIs before they disappeared. I see they are now back but under the guise of the Seagate ST2000DL004. Has Seagate incorporated the tech or simply rebranded? I liked the Samsungs but Seagate makes me nervous, especially with only a 1 year warranty.
Seagate bought Samsung's HDD production, http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/ ... CG20110419. No idea if the tech has changed underneath, but I doubt it would - at worst they'll be using different part vendors or binning quality.

IdontexistM8

Post by IdontexistM8 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:28 am

Das_Saunamies wrote:Seagate bought Samsung's HDD production, http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/ ... CG20110419. No idea if the tech has changed underneath, but I doubt it would - at worst they'll be using different part vendors or binning quality.
Yeah I knew Seagate bought their division and were taking some time to incorporate them (the floods may have slowed that process). It was why I was happy to still buy the old Samsung drives produced in the fall of last year early this year, even at relatively high prices. Especially so as they retained Samsung's three year warranty as opposed to Seagate's now measly one.

I was wondering if under EU law Seagate could be forced to offer a two year in a similar way to what's happened with Apple.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:29 am

IdontexistM8 wrote:Quick Q as I'm in the market for a couple of drives. . . I did manage to get a few Samsung HD204UIs before they disappeared. I see they are now back but under the guise of the Seagate ST2000DL004. Has Seagate incorporated the tech or simply rebranded? I liked the Samsungs but Seagate makes me nervous, especially with only a 1 year warranty.
Are you talking about this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822152245

I've bought a few of them recently, and they've always been in stock at Newegg every time I check.

IdontexistM8

Post by IdontexistM8 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:24 am

Ralf Hutter wrote: Are you talking about this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822152245

I've bought a few of them recently, and they've always been in stock at Newegg every time I check.
Yes, in the UK it went in and out of stock until units with a dual SKU# of HD204UI/ST2000DL004 started appearing. It's those units that only have the one year warranty.