It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: SPCR's Updated 2012 Small CPU Heatsink Test Platform
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:16 pm 
Offline
SPCR Reviewer

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:07 pm
Posts: 1027
Location: Vancouver
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Small_HSF_2012/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SPCR's Updated 2012 Small CPU Heatsink Test Platform
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Posts: 3004
Location: ITALY
Thanks or the update, mr. Lee.

If I can afford a naïve question: why, if Sandy Bridge is so efficient, the CPU temperatures are so worse than the previous ones (15-25°C more, with reference to the Athlon II X4 platform)?

_________________
Regards,
Luca


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SPCR's Updated 2012 Small CPU Heatsink Test Platform
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:14 am
Posts: 75
Great article. However, I still find the tables confusing, perhaps a graph like CA_Steve posted for your fan roundup would be clearer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SPCR's Updated 2012 Small CPU Heatsink Test Platform
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:00 am 
Offline
Friend of SPCR

Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:41 am
Posts: 708
Location: Denmark
Nicias wrote:
Great article. However, I still find the tables confusing, perhaps a graph like CA_Steve posted for your fan roundup would be clearer.


I actually find the tables on the last page very simple and easy to understand.

_________________
Cooler Master Elite 341, Athlon II X3 425, Radeon 5750 (passive, fan zip-tied on), Crucial M4 64 GB.
Cooling: AC Alpine 64 Pro, rear exhaust Scythe Slipstream 800 rpm @ ~5 V


"SSD's: The difference between a casual jogger and a dog chasing a ball"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SPCR's Updated 2012 Small CPU Heatsink Test Platform
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Posts: 3004
Location: ITALY
kuzzia wrote:
I actually find the tables on the last page very simple and easy to understand.

+1

_________________
Regards,
Luca


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SPCR's Updated 2012 Small CPU Heatsink Test Platform
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:55 am 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:36 am
Posts: 4606
Location: Monterey Bay, CA
Thanks for the updated test platform - VRM monitoring! Woot!

_________________
1080p Gaming build: i5-4670K, Mugen 4, MSI Z87-G45, MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming, 8GB 1866 RAM, Samsung Evo 250GB, WD Red 2TB, Samsung DVD burner, Fractal Define R4, Antec True Quiet 140 (2 front + rear) case fans, Seasonic X-560. 35-40W idle, 45-55W video streaming, 170-200W WoW, 200-230W Rift, 318W stress test (Prime95 + Furmark)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SPCR's Updated 2012 Small CPU Heatsink Test Platform
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:27 am
Posts: 1728
Location: Switzerland
Thank you Lawrence.
It would be interesting if you could add the difference between CPU and VRM temperatures with the stock heatsinks for comparison. Intel makes a big deal of the need for airflow on the VRM area but we have no reference for what that means in terms of the reported VRM temperature value.

quest_for_silence wrote:
why, if Sandy Bridge is so efficient, the CPU temperatures are so worse than the previous ones (15-25°C more, with reference to the Athlon II X4 platform)?

It *is* more efficient, by a large margin.

We don't know the actual temperatures, only what the CPU reports.
Even the actual CPU temperature is not very interesting. The board is the part which is most at risk of overheating with these heatsinks, which is why the reported VRM temperatures are so useful. This gives us real data on which heatsinks are the most dangerous at low fan speeds.

Any difference between actual CPU temperatures is easily explained. Assuming the same heatsink and the same power consumption, the CPU temperature will be mostly determined by the heat transfer between the parts of the CPU which heat up and the contact with the heatsink. If that heat transfer is relatively inefficient, the CPU temperature will be higher.
It stands to reason that a smaller manufacturing process will cause the heat transfer to be less efficient.
Also, a manufacturer of efficient and heat-resilient CPUs would have less incentive to optimize the heat transfer because it's less of an issue with its products than with the products of its competitors. Overclockers might be frustrated by the inefficient heat transfer however...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SPCR's Updated 2012 Small CPU Heatsink Test Platform
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:31 am 
Offline
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:16 am
Posts: 1302
Location: en.gb.uk
quest_for_silence wrote:
If I can afford a naïve question: why, if Sandy Bridge is so efficient, the CPU temperatures are so worse than the previous ones (15-25°C more, with reference to the Athlon II X4 platform)?


Because temperature and power consumption are not the same thing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SPCR's Updated 2012 Small CPU Heatsink Test Platform
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Posts: 3004
Location: ITALY
If you say so (that it's so "simple")...

_________________
Regards,
Luca


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SPCR's Updated 2012 Small CPU Heatsink Test Platform
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:12 pm
Posts: 126
Location: Ontario, Canada
For the Noctua NH-L12, when only one fan underneath was mounted, was the fan blowing up or down? If the fan airflow direction was pointed up towards the fins, I'm wondering if it would be possible to test it once the other way to see the difference in temperatures (120 mm reference at full speed would be fine)?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SPCR's Updated 2012 Small CPU Heatsink Test Platform
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:45 am
Posts: 23
Location: Sweden
quest_for_silence wrote:

If I can afford a naïve question: why, if Sandy Bridge is so efficient, the CPU temperatures are so worse than the previous ones (15-25°C more, with reference to the Athlon II X4 platform)?


In addition to other responses, I should point out that the test platform is both overclocked and overvolted.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SPCR's Updated 2012 Small CPU Heatsink Test Platform
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Posts: 3004
Location: ITALY
mikeclueby4 wrote:
I should point out that the test platform is both overclocked and overvolted.

Well, this reason looks like more sound than the other ones, as at stock settings the two platforms should have very similar thermals:

Image Image

Thanks, I always forget that not-K SKUs can be overclocked (even when I read an article!).
However, if this is the reason, their oc'ing "attitudes" seem somewhat "inefficient" (and Ivy Bridge looks like even worse).

_________________
Regards,
Luca


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SPCR's Updated 2012 Small CPU Heatsink Test Platform
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:45 am
Posts: 23
Location: Sweden
Well, when you overclock you normally try to undervolt as far as possible to reduce the heat generated.

SPCR did exactly the opposite for purposes of simply generating as much heat as possible so they could actually see the difference between the bigger heatsinks.

Conclusion: This test bed is about heatsinks and fans. Ignore the CPU :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SPCR's Updated 2012 Small CPU Heatsink Test Platform
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:16 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11855
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
:!:
mikeclueby4 wrote:
Well, when you overclock you normally try to undervolt as far as possible to reduce the heat generated.

SPCR did exactly the opposite for purposes of simply generating as much heat as possible so they could actually see the difference between the bigger heatsinks.

Conclusion: This test bed is about heatsinks and fans. Ignore the CPU :mrgreen:
:!: :idea: :mrgreen:

_________________
Mike Chin,
Editor/Publisher, SPCR
Support SPCR with your donations!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group