New server, which case?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

sunlight

New server, which case?

Post by sunlight » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:49 am

Hey everyone

I am currently building a new server for home use, and can't seem to decide on a case.
The system will be a standard sized ATX with an old i7 920 and a passively cooled gpu, which i have bought used to save some money.

So i just need a relatively small case, that will be quiet, have decent cooling and room for minimum 4 disks.
I have been thinking about the Obsidian 550D from corsair, i have just been thinking it is a bit overkill for my system and perhaps a little to pricey. So, any suggestions?

//sunlight

Olaf van der Spek

Re: New server, which case?

Post by Olaf van der Spek » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:15 am

mkk

Post by mkk » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:22 am

Definitely fits the bill if it's available where you are. The white edition if you'll be looking at it from time to time, the black if saving a buck is more important. :) It's smallish as far as fully featured ATX cases go.

Olaf van der Spek

Post by Olaf van der Spek » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:04 am

Not sure why you'd put an i7 920 and a GPU in a home server though.

sunlight

Post by sunlight » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:26 am

I will put ESXi on it and run a few virtual machines on it.. Mostly for fun and learning. The reason for the GPU is because there is no onboard on the setup i have bought.

Have also been thinking about the R3, i guess it is the best choice.. Was just wondering if there were any choices i haven't considered.