Help, can't locate noise driving me cr-a-zy

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

-X-hellfire

Post by -X-hellfire » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:09 am

h3lp

Have had this weird noise in the pc for a week and it's driving me nuts.

When I start the computer it is silent but after about 15 minutes the noise starts and

Have two T-Balancer XL fan controllers fan 1-4 and fan 5-8
1 cpu 50% . . . 120mm Noctua NF-P12
2 door/side 0% . . . 80mm that only do 2C on the gpu temp, it's off
3 twin out 37% . . . 2x80mm that takes out some of the roof air
4 case out 50% . . . 120mm Noctua NF-P12 has a weird PWM noise thats louder than the fan at 60% - 90%, have changed it with cpu fan but is the same, when the fan is on the cpu it doesn't have any PWM-whistle noise at all.
5 top out 0% . . . 80mm Noctua NF-80, usually at 12% but it had developed a clicking noise that is annoying so I keep it off
6 pci mem in hdd-cage-top 40% . . . 120mm Noctua NF-P12
7 pci in hdd-cage-bottom 40% . . . 120mm Noctua NF-P12
8 external fans 0% . . . for external backup hdd

Have set each of the fans to 0% but the noise still persists however there are two other fans

PSU has its own fan controller . . . a Corsair HX-650 W since new year (had it in my old computer for a year but seldom started it, as 1 Ghz cpu ain't that much fun now days)

GPU has its own fan controller . . . tried to run some Crysis to see if the noise changes as the gpu heats up and the fan controller kicks in (max 84 C, idle 55 C)

Have 6 hard disks
IMSC (Intel Matrix Storage Console), ICH9r controller, shows 4 hdd in raid 10 and + 1 non-raid hdd, all 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
Gigabyte Jmicron controller, 36x, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F1

case: Coolmaster T01 Stacker . . . great case that has some nice features. It has aluminum side doors that sometimes start to oscillate, don't know the cause as the hdd-cages sit on rubber rods and fans silicon, PSU has a silicon thing between it and the case.

Gaaah, can't think, the noise is making this post very unfocused.
Could post some photos later if it helps.

The noise is like a cricket-sound (or somehting, can't describe it, but not as loud but very annoying)
. . . maybe this text illustration helps
wwwwwrrrrrrrrrrrrrreep every 3 seconds for hours and the it sometimes all the time for some hour wwwwwrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr . . . rrrreep

CA_Steve

Re: Help, can't locate noise driving me cr-a-zy

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:20 pm

Every 3 seconds is a long period. It's probably not a fan as they are rotating in the hundreds of rpm...unless it's a sticky ball bearing.

Does it sound like an electronic noise? Maybe there is a coil or cap that is acting badly.

Here's a long shot: Maybe there is a cable (like a fan cable) that's near a fan. A blade hits it, it makes the sound as it kicks the cable away for 3 seconds. :)

Here's a suggestion: get an empty paper towel tube or anything of similar size and use it as a poor man's stethescope to help isolate the sound. Let the PC warm up with the side door open. Then start moving the tube around until you find the source.

paapaa

Post by paapaa » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:12 am

First of all: you have way too many fans! You don't need gazillion fans. I have overclocked E6400 system and my whole system has 2 fans: one for CPU@1100rpm and one case fan@800rpm. No other fans.

First detach all fans expect maybe one case fan and the necessary CPU/GPU/PSU fans. Then it is easier to determine where the noise is coming from. Open your case and when you hear the noise, use your fingers to stop one fan at a time to see which one is the culprit. Remember not to break your finger or your components...

-X-hellfire

Post by -X-hellfire » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:26 pm

tnx for the tips

sorry, for the late replay, haven't sleept anything last night.
Have done some small noise searching by recording with my mp3-players mic from the outside.

The following... was clean
(3) twin-out
(4) case-out

(10) PSU-out did however record the annoying noise

Had plans to do a thorough noise recording with several sources but as I said no sleep no good research etc.

The computer crashed at 9 pm CET but it can be unrelated, dont know, but it is the third time in less than a month so something funky going on.

Maybe it is a coil in the PSU that's bad but it should when the PSU is pushed more than UT2004. It never crashes in Crysis even though it puts much more stress to the whole computer system.

Will do more testing later (after more sleep)

I could upload the (10) PSU-noise

edit: tried to upload the mp3-file but it didn't work