Gutted!! Need a rethink

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

preacher

Gutted!! Need a rethink

Post by preacher » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:22 am

I'm a bit gutted! The last component I needed arrived today so I got the little one to bed then quite excitedly went to go build it. 

I had already installed the mobo, CPU, hardrives, dvd, sound card and just needed my just arrived psu to go in and wire it all up. 

Went to do it and my new Seasonic X660 psu won't fit in the lian li a05fnb case!!! It goes in but is too big for the psu cage. Tried another psu and that didnt fit either..

I'm a bit unsure about the case anyway so need a recommendation for a good small tower or mATX case. Silence and USB 3 is paramount and it must be able to fit in my psu. Willing to pay up to £150 but would prefer to spend less!

Any ideas?

The rest of my specs are

2500k (not going to overclock)
Asrock pro4m mobo
8gb ddr3
M4 SSD
WD green 2tb 
Creative xfi sound card 

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Re: Gutted!! Need a rethink

Post by kuzzia » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:38 pm

If you want a comparatively small case (like a mATX-case) then I know the Silverstone Temjin TJ08-E (the Silverstone Temjin PS07 is virtually the same with only minor changes) and the Fractal Design Define Mini. have a look at the SPCR review of the two cases and see which one you like best.

And don't worry, your PSU will fit. It's a very rare thing that a PSU don't fit nicely in a case.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:44 pm

For Micro ATX, i would consider the following,

Silverstone SST-PS07B USB 3.0 Precision Series Micro ATX Chassis PC Case, Cheap and uses 120mm fans so much easier time finding replacement fans for quiet setup. Downside front is plastic, but not a big deal.
Silverstone SST-TJ08E USB3.0 PC Case, Front is metal and very nice looking case (imo), but the frontal fan has to be undervolted, under low setting (900rpm) still very noticeable, below 600rpm starts to be tolerable.
Fractal Design Define Mini Series Micro ATX Case - Black Pearl, another good option, a more traditional style of case, but imo seem very similar to a small atx tower case.

Btw im using a X660 on my TJ08-E (check sig), no issues at all fitting it, but im also not using optical drive, the same would apply for PS-07. If i were to plan on an optical, i probably would have gone with the Fractal mini.

Edit, sorry for suggesting the same, but went to lunch and forgot to hit submit and just did now. Either way i still think either of the 3 as kuzzia recommended are the best option to look for.

preacher

Post by preacher » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:28 pm

Thanks for the replies, I have been reading the reviews and the Tj08e seemed to be flawed, I wondered if there was something more expensive and better? Don't mind a mid tower if there an option there! Will look into the Fractal as intend to use a DVD drive.

It's so frustrating!

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:43 pm

The Fractal Design Define Mini is, simply put, a standard case that implements the features that are expected for a modern case. I can't find many flaws about the case. Perhaps it lacks room behind the motherboard tray for cables but I've heard several reports which suggest that it's doable. It's a bit big for a mATX tower too, but otherwise a great case.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:19 pm

preacher wrote:Any ideas?
Can you give back the PSU?

preacher

Post by preacher » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:47 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
preacher wrote:Any ideas?
Can you give back the PSU?
There the same size, but nice build.

Did yours fit in the psu cage ok? Mine is a fraction too small! Tried bending the lips outward but still won't go around!