AYWUN A1001 - Noisy Fan - Solution :)

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

mickeyp87

AYWUN A1001 - Noisy Fan - Solution :)

Post by mickeyp87 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:46 am

Hi All,

I thought I would come and give something back to the community which has helped me to build a silent pc. Now I have crawled the internet and have not found one article about how to make the darn PSU fan quitter. Well I managed to do it in an easy non technical manner. This is a no solder job which was good for me :)...

So the steps are not too hard and not too long but follow through and feel free to ask questions. I have attached some images and you can ask me questions and I will do my best to help.

NOTE: THIS METHOD VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY ON THE CASE'S POWERSUPPLY.

Photos at http://s861.photobucket.com/albums/ab173/mickeyp1987/

Side Note: I was able to get the case for $35 AU including the psu so I dont care about warranty lol..

What you will need
Tin snips
Phillips Head Screwdriver
cable ties
80mm fan. (I used a fractal silent series 80mm fan cost me $8)
30 minutes of your life

Plug your fan into your mobo and find out which way the air blows. I know this is simple but you do not want to screw in the last screw and realise that you have put the fan in the wrong way.

Unplug the psu from power and any other devices. Wait at least an hour before doing work as there could still be current running through the system

Remove 5 screws at the back attaching the psu to the case (I kept all of my screws in a seperate area, if it helps write down on a piece of paper what they do and pile them up together).

Remove the psu completely out of the case and put it on a bench.

Remove the screws at the bottom which hold the fan chassis to the psu

Cut the red and black wires that come from the fan.

Put in your new fan making sure that the air is blowing into the psu not out!

Feed the wire through the hole. I had to rotate the little black grommet to slide the fan power wire through and cut some of the cable ties.

Pull the wire tight (do not break it).

Cable tie your wires back.

Screw backup the psu as you unscrewed it

Plug the psu fan into the fan section of your mobo.

Boot up your PC and depending on how hot your environment is you can either set your fan to full in the bios or automatic. I like to be on the safe side and turn it on full.

You now have a quiet aywun case which only cost you 50 or so dollars

TLZ

Re: AYWUN A1001 - Noisy Fan - Solution :)

Post by TLZ » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:48 am

mickeyp87 - Thank you for your excellent post. I followed it closely and am very pleased with the result.

I had read reviews on the forums complaining of the noise level from the PSU attached to the Aywun A1-1001 but mistakenly assumed to be overstated, as is often the case.

At $35AUD with the noisy fan I reckon the A1-1001 is good value.
That said, once you throw in a near silent Fractal Silent Series R2 80mm case fan (or similar) into the PSU for an extra $8AUD and you have a very compelling purchase - screw the warranty.

Cheers

mickeyp87

Re: AYWUN A1001 - Noisy Fan - Solution :)

Post by mickeyp87 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:54 am

Glad to hear it worked buddy :)