Tiché PC HDD Vibration Killer

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
AckeDman

Re: Tiché PC HDD Vibration Killer

Post by AckeDman » Fri May 25, 2012 12:49 am

faugusztin wrote:@AckeDman :
GABO wrote:Please write us email on [email protected]. On tuesday we will send reply for all single clients who asked about possibility to send one single item. As your country is part of EU i think it will be no high payment for transport by normal post (mail). Payment is prepayment on our account (better this way because cash on delivery is expensive.
Alright, im eagerly waiting for a solution.

AckeDman

Post by AckeDman » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:52 pm

I have received my vibration killer within 1 week from order but havent gotten around to putting it in yet.

Artonox

Post by Artonox » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:54 am

I'm currently using elastic cords (£2/$3) to suspend my 2 fat hard drives. Is it worth upgrading to this?
Working around google, this turns out to be £18.70/$29.16 before shipping costs so its a significant difference (granted, it looks neater and cooler).

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:48 am

Artonox wrote:I'm currently using elastic cords (£2/$3) to suspend my 2 fat hard drives. Is it worth upgrading to this?
Working around google, this turns out to be £18.70/$29.16 before shipping costs so its a significant difference (granted, it looks neater and cooler).
there will be no audible advantage.

Artonox

Post by Artonox » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:15 am

MikeC wrote:
Artonox wrote:I'm currently using elastic cords (£2/$3) to suspend my 2 fat hard drives. Is it worth upgrading to this?
there will be no audible advantage.
thx for the message, guess ill have to look elsewhere (at other products that is :D).

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:45 am

Artonox --

What HDDs do you have suspended, and what kind of improvement are you seeking? All you say is "fat hard drives".

I ask because if they are decently quiet modern drives, the airborne noise should be quite low, and the elastic suspension should be as effective as anything can be in reducing vibration-caused noise during seek. It's airborne noise that mechanical decoupling doesn't eliminate directly, but most of the effective enclosures for HDDs do little for vibration noise. The best enclosures, Scythe Quiet Drive and the Smart Drive, both reduce airborne noise well, but cannot eliminate it.

Artonox

Post by Artonox » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:51 am

MikeC wrote:Artonox --

What HDDs do you have suspended, and what kind of improvement are you seeking? All you say is "fat hard drives".

I ask because if they are decently quiet modern drives, the airborne noise should be quite low, and the elastic suspension should be as effective as anything can be in reducing vibration-caused noise during seek. It's airborne noise that mechanical decoupling doesn't eliminate directly, but most of the effective enclosures for HDDs do little for vibration noise. The best enclosures, Scythe Quiet Drive and the Smart Drive, both reduce airborne noise well, but cannot eliminate it.
They are the SATA harddrives. The actual model numbers are:
1) WD10EACS
2) WD10EARX

The elastic suspension eliminates pretty much all the "rattling" (which I suppose is called the vibration noise - I put my finger on the case and no vibration could be felt).
I guess you could say it is airborne noise I hope to reduce. To describe is almost like a fan is spinning (though when i turn all the fans off, the hard drive remains audible)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:22 am

Artonox --

The only way you'll decrease the noise of the WD Greens is to encase them in a good mechanical housing like the Smart Drive or Scythe Queit Drive (neither of which are cheap). But those will re-introduce the vibration-induced noise... unless you can somehow suspend the enclosures. Not easy, due to the large size.

You could also trying blocking the front vent directly in front of the drives where the noise probably comes out to you the most, but that will also tend to make them -- and other components -- run hotter.

doveman

Post by doveman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:36 am

I had good results with the custom enclosures, which are basically just metal boxes with a couple of gel-packs around the HDD to dampen any vibrations and transmit heat from the HDD to the enclosure. There's a thread on here somewhere with details.

Artonox

Post by Artonox » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:23 pm

MikeC wrote:Artonox --

The only way you'll decrease the noise of the WD Greens is to encase them in a good mechanical housing like the Smart Drive or Scythe Queit Drive (neither of which are cheap). But those will re-introduce the vibration-induced noise... unless you can somehow suspend the enclosures. Not easy, due to the large size.

You could also trying blocking the front vent directly in front of the drives where the noise probably comes out to you the most, but that will also tend to make them -- and other components -- run hotter.
I see what you mean by not cheap:
http://www.quietpc.com/products/harddri ... ve-classic
:shock:
The scythe seems to be non-existent on UK shores (where I am from)
doveman wrote:I had good results with the custom enclosures, which are basically just metal boxes with a couple of gel-packs around the HDD to dampen any vibrations and transmit heat from the HDD to the enclosure. There's a thread on here somewhere with details.
I may look into this. Id rather buy than diy, but if the advantages>disadvantages, it will likely sway me.

doveman

Post by doveman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:15 am

The Scythe Quiet drive is more reasonable http://www.quietpc.com/products/harddri ... quietdrive
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/scythe-h ... its-in-525

The custom enclosure will probably cost about £10-15 depending on whether you can find a suitable box locally or if you have to order one to be delivered (and pay postage). The gelpacks are generally available in most pharmacies, Boots, etc for a few quid.

Artonox

Post by Artonox » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:18 am

doveman wrote:The Scythe Quiet drive is more reasonable http://www.quietpc.com/products/harddri ... quietdrive
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/scythe-h ... its-in-525

The custom enclosure will probably cost about £10-15 depending on whether you can find a suitable box locally or if you have to order one to be delivered (and pay postage). The gelpacks are generally available in most pharmacies, Boots, etc for a few quid.
Its just a shame that both of those products mentioned are not available anymore.
Ill might give the sourcing of custom enclosures a go.

doveman

Post by doveman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:35 am

Artonox wrote: Its just a shame that both of those products mentioned are not available anymore.
Ill might give the sourcing of custom enclosures a go.
Are they not? The Scan link lets you pre-order, so maybe they just get them in on demand. It might be worth asking them anyway.

hurricane

Post by hurricane » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:49 am

A week ago I've tried to contact Tiché by email to find a way to order the vibration killer from Belgium. (One 4 slots and one 1 slot)
Last time I checked, the only way to register was to be in Slovakia. (http://www.tichepc.sk/Registracia)
No answer so far.

Has anybody ordered this product recently ?

GABO

Post by GABO » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:00 am

Hi hurricane: we send a mail to you but no answer arrived till today - i think we resend after a week email again but no answer. Normall 1 slot killers is on stock - but 2/3 slot are not and this products will be EOL and changed for another type :). Please send other contact to you we can send do Belgium (normally we send to all EU countries).