CoolerMaster Silent Pro M - 600 or 700w? (noise level)

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Sakura90

CoolerMaster Silent Pro M - 600 or 700w? (noise level)

Post by Sakura90 » Wed May 23, 2012 5:38 pm

Hi!

First post here, although I knew this forum from long ago :p

Anyway, I'm going to get a new [as silent as possible] PSU. As I'm in a 5th world country with everything tightly restricted (think of North Korea or similar :P) I don't have any options, so other PSUs, prices, or recommendations don't go here. I'm very lucky I could find a place still with a few of those CMs in stock, the only silent PSU series ever available here. The price difference isn't too significant.

What I wanted to ask is, I have a pretty low end system running 24/7, an AMD tricore CPU (TDP 95w) and 3, 4 HDDs (these aren't always in use, ofc). It's out of the question that both PSUs are well beyond what's sufficient for me. But would there be any difference on the fan noise? I mean, maybe the 700w version has higher-end components that would run more "relaxed", generating less heat and thus the fan spinning slower. Still, as both are overkill for me I doubt there would a difference at all on the PSU strain.

Price difference is merely ~$100 (to give an idea on the significance of that, 600w is ~$900 and 700w ~$1000). But if on both PSUs the fan would be running at the same speed there's no point on going higher to the 700w.

I looked for reviews but couldn't find a comparison of the two. Thanks in advance :mrgreen:

lodestar

Re: CoolerMaster Silent Pro M - 600 or 700w? (noise level)

Post by lodestar » Thu May 24, 2012 3:51 am

You need the fan profile for each PSU. Cooler Master do publish this information, but you have to download the online manual for each power supply to access it. What the fan profiles show is that the fan on both the 600w and 700w runs at about the same speed when the load is less than 350w. At around 350w the fan on both models starts to speed up, the 600w maxing out at around 1000 rpm and the 700w at around 1150 rpm.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu May 24, 2012 8:16 am

In the context of your system the noise differences would not be audible... this would probably hold true even for much more power hungry systems.

Out of curiosity, what country? There's nothing quite like N Korea, afaik.

ces

Post by ces » Thu May 24, 2012 8:29 am

I once bought a coolermaster PSU with the word silent or quiet in its title.

I will never forgive them. It was the loudest PC component I ever heard.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu May 24, 2012 9:06 am

ces wrote:I once bought a coolermaster PSU with the word silent or quiet in its title.

We've been using the same Coolermaster Silent Pro M700 in case testing for many years. It is extremely quiet, and it has withstood all of the abuses of being swapped out ad nauseum and used hard for all these years. We did review it positively some years ago. We've had a couple other samples of the same family here, and they are similarly quiet.

I'd say your experience is specific to the PSU you purchased.

KadazanPL

Post by KadazanPL » Thu May 31, 2012 12:31 am

MikeC wrote:
ces wrote:I once bought a coolermaster PSU with the word silent or quiet in its title.

We've been using the same Coolermaster Silent Pro M700 in case testing for many years. It is extremely quiet, and it has withstood all of the abuses of being swapped out ad nauseum and used hard for all these years. We did review it positively some years ago. We've had a couple other samples of the same family here, and they are similarly quiet.

I'd say your experience is specific to the PSU you purchased.
Yep, I had to swap the PSU (Corsair HX520) because it was producing a high-pitch tone. Tried 2 Corsairs and a Coolermaster Silent M500. The CM was the only one without this annoying squeal and also slightly quieter fan-wise than the Corsairs. Though not as quiet as a BeQuiet that I used to have.

edh

Post by edh » Thu May 31, 2012 5:55 am

Given the fan profile that has been alluded to and the acceptance that you will be running relatively low power components, the 600W makes more sense as you will never trip it up to the higher speed.

As an alternative (or fallback) to specifically buying the quietest power supply, what options do you have for quiet fans available locally? Is a fan swap a possibility?
MikeC wrote:Out of curiosity, what country? There's nothing quite like N Korea, afaik.
Nothing quite like North Korea definitely but there's quite a few countries where imports and exports are tightly controlled and therefore very few manufacturers are represented by distributors. With my last employer I had to do some work in Eastern Europe and the Middle East sometimes with distributors. Having seen what it's like trying to get equipment into Saudia Arabia (at the time the 5th least democratic country in the world) and Libya (Gaddafi era, 7th least democratic country in the world), there's actually a lot that can go wrong. Typically several weeks to get anything to clear customs and if it's Ramadan, forget about it! I was faced with a possibility of faulty RAM once in Siberia and when discussing the option of ordering in a replacement computer just in case, the distributor told me it would take ~3 weeks by airfreight from Brussels and that's somewhere that isn't even THAT oppressive.

Mr Spocko

Post by Mr Spocko » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:02 pm

I've been using the Silent pro M PSU's for recent builds (last 18 months or so), so far I have no problems to report.
They are quiet..but hey this is fussy land so that alone might not be enough.

The fan is a 135mm one if I am correct, so I would not be sure how viable that is for a fan swap. Maybe a 120mm one will fit I have no idea.

CM seem to have updated the range recently. They are appealing because the price is very reasonable, they are quiet, modular flat cables. Lots of choices out there for buyers, this range is a fairly attractive one overall.