Seeking input on shopping cart

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Seeking input on shopping cart

Post by Jay_S » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:10 am

Looking to bring my gaming PC out of the dark ages - moving from core2 to Ivy Bridge. Right now, I am looking at the core components: CPU, MB, RAM. Target principles: high-value / bang-for-buck and durability. Low-power consumption is not a major concern for this system.

This is in my Newegg cart: Total: $369.97 (before $15 mail-in rebate), free shipping.

Any alarming issues w/these items? I want the unlocked CPU partly for overclocking, but also for the Intel 4000 graphics (playing around with the QuickSync encoder). The RAM is well reviewed. The MSI board is the main "unknown".

For the immediate future, this will be used with the following:
  • Corsair CX400 fan-swapped PSU
  • 8800GT GPU -- please don't comment on how it's a bottleneck. I know it is. Will be replaced as funds permit.
  • OCZ agility 2 SSD
  • in a Antec NSK 3480
Last edited by Jay_S on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

lodestar

Re: Seeking input on shopping cart

Post by lodestar » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:41 am

Although they cost a bit more, you would be better of considering the MSI GD series, such as the GD45 if you intend to overclock. The MSI Z77 GD boards have better quality power supply components, so they are a better bet for overclocking and are more power efficient than many other boards. And OC Genie II is an automatic, convenient way of getting a moderate overclock of around 4.2/4.3Ghz. The only downside potentially is that the BIOS fan controls are fairly basic.
Last edited by lodestar on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Worker control

Post by Worker control » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:51 am

If you'll be running a 64-bit operating system, I'd definitely spring for more RAM. It's so cheap now! And the OS's file cache in RAM is way faster than any disk.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:09 am

NewEgg don't seem to stock the GD45 but they do have the GD55 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813130644. This still seems good value even if it is around $50 more than the G45. On the subject of memory, the low or standard profile units can be a better choice for this board, for example Corsair Vengeance LP http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820233186 as tower coolers typically overhang the memory slots to some extent.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:25 am

The new Samsung DRAM looks nice.

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:06 am

Thanks for all the replies.
lodestar wrote:Although they cost a bit more, you would be better of considering the MSI GD series, such as the GD45 if you intend to overclock. The MSI Z77 GD boards have better quality power supply components, so they are a better bet for overclocking and are more power efficient than many other boards.
Sadly, it looks like those are not available in micro ATX. I forgot to state this requirement, though the NSK3480 implies this. The GD55 board linked in your 2nd post won't fit.
lodestar wrote:And OC Genie II is an automatic, convenient way of getting a moderate overclock of around 4.2/4.3Ghz. The only downside potentially is that the BIOS fan controls are fairly basic.
The MSI Z77MA-G45 has OC Genie II. Bios fan controls are not important to me. I've never been all that impressed by them in previous builds, though I've never used a motherboard with 1st class fan control either. Ignorance is bliss?

Re: memory comments:
Worker control wrote:If you'll be running a 64-bit operating system, I'd definitely spring for more RAM. It's so cheap now! And the OS's file cache in RAM is way faster than any disk.
lodestar wrote:On the subject of memory, the low or standard profile units can be a better choice for this board, for example Corsair Vengeance LP as tower coolers typically overhang the memory slots to some extent.
CA_Steve wrote:The new Samsung DRAM looks nice.
All good suggestions. I grabbed the G.Skill kit in my cart just because it was the first one I saw that was well-reviewed and didn't have fast-n-furious heatsinks. I picked a 4GB kit because this system runs 32-bit Win7. Those Samsung dimms do look nice - thanks for pointing them out.

I have a 1st gen Scythe Ninja. It clears standard height memory modules. I hope to continue using it, copying kater's mounting system:
viewtopic.php?p=545668#p545668

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:38 am

Looks good.

Jay_S
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jay_S » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:21 am

Ok, that Samsung RAM is the stuff. Changed OP to the 2x4GB kit.