Seagate ST3000DSM001 very noisy in Synology NAS

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Giffeldk

Seagate ST3000DSM001 very noisy in Synology NAS

Post by Giffeldk » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:23 am

Hi,

I recently bought a Synology DS412+ NAS with 4x3 TB Seagate ST3000DSM001 drives, but i find the drives very noisy/vibrating making the whole DS412+ very noisy.

Is there anything i can do about it?

I am considering bying the Western Digital 3TB WD30EURS AV-GP drive instead. Has anyone tried this drive in a NAS?

Thanks in advance :D

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Seagate ST3000DSM001 very noisy in Synology NAS

Post by xan_user » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:09 am

WELCOME TO SPCR!!

since a nas is designed to be put away from the user's ear (like in another room), manufactures dont really care about resonance/noise.
it would probably be impossible to decouple the drive from the nas body since it supports hot swap, and the guide rails directly contact the drive's body - transferring the rotational vibration directly to the chasis and amplifying it like a acoustic guitar body.

i would probably look for a nas that can accommodate drive suspension/decoupling, or move the nas out of earshot. sometimes putting the nas on some foam/gel/neoprene can minimize noise somewhat, by decoupling the whole nas from resonating the shelf or desk its on...but it wont truly silence it.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Seagate ST3000DSM001 very noisy in Synology NAS

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:06 pm

I'll second the "removal" idea. In case you can't insulate something (probably very difficult in the confines of a premade NAS), isolate it! I moved my noisy Buffalo NAS first into the wardrobe, then to the entrance hall. The fan sounds and HDD buzz, all gone.

Pinning the unit down with something heavy to increase mass and rigidity might help with drive vibrations, same as decoupling with suitable material, but silence essentially starts with quiet components. I haven't tried the AV drives, but regular greens (all EARS) have been pleasant.