It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Motherboard Replacement Question
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:26 pm 

Hi,

A friend's Core 2 Duo computer that had an Asus motherboard had the PCIe slot fail. So we had to buy what was available; an Intel micro ATX motherboard. He is running WinXP, and the reinstall won't work -- it keeps going back to the beginning of the reinstallation.

So, what would be the best way to get WinXP up and running -- a reformat is not really an option, and we'd like to not have to reinstall all the programs. Should we do a "fresh" installation and risk the dual boot confusion, or can I delete the old Windows folder and still have program installed and running after all is said and done?

Post subject: Re: Motherboard Replacement Question
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:42 pm 
*Lifetime Patron*

ive had some luck doing the "repair" install when dealing with a new mobo swap. ymmv
(ive not followed this exact tutorial before, but it looked good/accurate when i skimmed it)
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operating ... epair1.htm

good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:20 am 

Unfortunately, that is the first thing I tried, and it just restarts the process on the first reboot. :-(

Any other thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:56 am 
Friend of SPCR

How far down the installation does it go ?

Main/gamming : Antec Solo|X-650|Asus P5Q-E|Intel Q9550@3.4GHz|HR-01 Plus 120mm Nexus @6V|Corsair 2x2Go XMS2 DHX cas 4 @4-4-4-12|Exhaust Nexus 120mm @9V|Intel X25M G2 160Gb|Samsung 1TB in SQD|2xGigabyte GTS450 OC (@900/1900/3800)|GPU fan 120mm Nexus @6V
HTPC/folder/Storage : Silverstone|E5300 with Samurai-Z|2Go RAM|GTX460@800|2x1To WD EARS|Intel X25M G2 80Go

Fold with SPCR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:20 am 

NeilBlanchard wrote:
Should we do a "fresh" installation and risk the dual boot confusion

You can quite easily get rid of this by editing the hidden 'ntldr' or something file on the root of the installation drive. I'd go this root if you really have to reinstall Windows.

Why does Windows need to be reinstalled as such? Does it no longer start up properly given the huge upheaval of a motherboard swap? Does safe mode work at all? If you can get into safe mode then you could try Drivercleaner to get rid of the leftover drivers from the old motherboard. That might then allow it to boot normally.

You might also want to have a look at some LiveCD's. Some of them offer many more tools than Windows repair to get a system working again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:58 pm 

It seems that the new motherboard could not handle the SATA hard drive on the first reboot. We could not find the "F6 SCSI driver" for this motherboard, and it didn't come with a actual driver disk; just a CD-R that they had pulled together. We got it up and running (sort of) by using an IDE/PATA hard drive, although now it will not do *any* Windows Updates and IE crashes, and after installing Eset Smart Security, the desktop takes *forever* to start working...

This is a refurbished/leftover motherboard, and it shows. There are not very many S775 motherboards left on sale, and so we are struggling to get this machine back on it's feet, as it were.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:18 pm 

If you at some point did a repair install you may have a mixed up service pack and/or IE version. Install the latest SP and then IE from the full installers. Download them on another PC and USB/Network them over.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:12 am 

Be sure that AHCI is disabled. That's what needs the F6 driver. XP support of that feature is spotty at best.

i7 2600K CPU@4.4 GHz, Asrock Z68, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 CL9, Intel 335 240GB SSD + Samsung HD502HI 500GB, Internal i7 graphics, Antec P180 case, Seasonic X-400 fanless PS, Megahalems CPU HS, Nexus 3-pin & AC PWM fans ~ 600 RPM, AcoustiPack foam, homemade ducts.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:16 am 

Thanks -- we did try the Repair Installation, so I'll try to get WinXP SP3 and IE8 downloaded here at home and burn them on to CD-R's.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:37 am 

I downloaded the self-installing WinXP SP3 and IE8 and two other recommended security updates, burned a CD-R and they installed on the rebuilt system without a hitch. :)

Afterward, all the Microsoft Updates installed properly.

The fly in the ointment is that now Eset Smart Security 5 bungs up the Internet. It warns us that the online filter is corrupted and not working, and we then can no longer get online at all. Sigh... Any thoughts on this?

I'm going to clone the IDE drive onto the SATA drive after everything is installed, and then we'll disconnect the IDE drive and save it as a safe bootable drive, for our friend Justin Case.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:54 am 

NeilBlanchard wrote:
The fly in the ointment is that now Eset Smart Security 5 bungs up the Internet. It warns us that the online filter is corrupted and not working, and we then can no longer get online at all. Sigh... Any thoughts on this?

I love when your protection s/w protects you from connectivity :)

Uninstall it and try Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, low overhead, low hassle.

1080p Gaming build: i5-4670K, Mugen 4, MSI Z87-G45, MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming, 8GB 1866 RAM, Samsung Evo 250GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, WD Red 2TB, Samsung DVD burner, Fractal Define R4, Antec True Quiet 140 (2 front + rear) case fans, Seasonic X-560. 35-40W idle, 45-55W video streaming, 170-200W WoW, 200-230W Rift, 318W stress test (Prime95 + Furmark)

Support SPCR through these links: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:57 am 

NeilBlanchard wrote:
I'm going to clone the IDE drive onto the SATA drive after everything is installed, and then we'll disconnect the IDE drive and save it as a safe bootable drive, for our friend Justin Case.

Now is a good time to enable AHCI. Enable it in the BIOS then make sure XP sees the controller driver and the empty SATA drive. After you clone it should just work.

I second removing Eset Smart Security 5 and using MSE. You may have to install Eset again before you can uninstall it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:03 pm 
*Lifetime Patron*

You didn't mention if the new chipset is the same as the old chipset. Such a change would have given you the least amount of grief. But either way it should have let you do an install.

Did you new mobo come with any drivers? They are usually a few related to the chipset somewhere.

My $0.02 FWIW

Aris