It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]
Author Message
 Post subject: power supply test at anandtech.com
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:06 pm
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:26 pm
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6013/350450w-roundup-11-cheap-psus

The Corsiar and FSP units look interesting. It is good that the power supplies were tested at 5% and 10% load levels.

Bill

Top
 Profile

 Post subject: Re: power supply test at anandtech.com
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:17 pm
Offline

Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Germany
I think this test is totally worthless.

As i pointed out before to anandtech author, he deliberatly omitted the physical measurements of the tested psus. What is a test worth, when the author refuses to do his homework?

What use does such a test have, when i have to look up by myself if this psu would fit in a sugo or any other mini-itx case?

Top
 Profile

 Post subject: Re: power supply test at anandtech.com
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:53 pm
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:26 pm
Pappnaas wrote:
I think this test is totally worthless.

As i pointed out before to anandtech author, he deliberatly omitted the physical measurements of the tested psus. What is a test worth, when the author refuses to do his homework?

What use does such a test have, when i have to look up by myself if this psu would fit in a sugo or any other mini-itx case?

Are you familiar with the word tantrum?

Top
 Profile

 Post subject: Re: power supply test at anandtech.com
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:23 am

Listener wrote:
Pappnaas wrote:
I think this test is totally worthless.

As i pointed out before to anandtech author, he deliberatly omitted the physical measurements of the tested psus. What is a test worth, when the author refuses to do his homework?

What use does such a test have, when i have to look up by myself if this psu would fit in a sugo or any other mini-itx case?

Are you familiar with the word tantrum?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tantrum

A tantrum (or temper tantrum or tirade or hissy fit) is an emotional outburst, usually associated with children or those in emotional distress, that is typically characterized by stubbornness, crying, screaming, yelling, shrieking, defiance, angry ranting, a resistance to attempts at pacification and, in some cases, violence. Physical control may be lost, the person may be unable to remain still, and even if the "goal" of the person is met he or she may not be calmed.[1][2][3][4][5] A tantrum may be expressed in a tirade: a protracted, angry, or violent speech.[1][2]

I don't know, if you meant something like that.

You're trying to make fun of me? Or just a casual insult?

Top
 Profile

 Post subject: Re: power supply test at anandtech.com
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:04 am
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:26 pm
Pappnaas wrote:
Listener wrote:

Are you familiar with the word tantrum?

You're trying to make fun of me? Or just a casual insult?

The article didn't contain one specification that mattered to you so you pronounced the entire article to be totally worthless. It certainly sounded like a tantrum to me.

Top
 Profile

 Post subject: Re: power supply test at anandtech.com
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:07 am
Offline
*Lifetime Patron*

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:53 am
Location: Sweden
Thanks for bringing this test to my attention. I'm in the process of building a system for my sister and decided to get a cheaper PSU (the FSP model that did very well) instead of the Corsair I first had my eyes on.

_________________
Main: ASRock B85M-ITX | i3-4330 | 16GB DDR3 | Intel 730 240GB | HDPLEX H1-S | picoPSU | No moving parts | Idle 13.9W
HTPC: ASRock H81M-ITX | Pentium G3420 | 4GB DDR3 | Intel 520 120GB | HDPLEX H1-S | picoPSU | No moving parts | Idle 11.2W
Gaming: Intel DH77EB | i5-3570K | GTX 750 Ti | 16GB DDR3 | Intel 520 120GB | TJ08-E | G-360 360W
Server: Intel DH77DF | i3-2100T | 4TB+3x3TB | picoPSU | Idle 24W AC

Top
 Profile

 Post subject: Re: power supply test at anandtech.com
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:00 pm

Listener wrote:
Pappnaas wrote:
Listener wrote:

Are you familiar with the word tantrum?

You're trying to make fun of me? Or just a casual insult?

The article didn't contain one specification that mattered to you so you pronounced the entire article to be totally worthless. It certainly sounded like a tantrum to me.

I'm no native speaker, your pun backfired and i find it offending.

Back to topic:

Would you accept any car comparison that doesn't contain the length and other physical measures? Or wouldn't you start to wonder, what else is missing to? Can a website, that wants to be accepted as decent source of knowledge, afford to omit important data?

In my world, doing a serious review starts with the description of the reviewed parts. And if the scientific base rules are disregarded, how trustworthy is the rest of the stuff?

In my view anandtech cannot keep up with the quality standards they impose on themselves.

Top
 Profile

 Post subject: Re: power supply test at anandtech.com
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:14 am
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:51 am
Location: USA
I gotta agree with Pappnaas regarding this test. I was recently in the market for a smaller PSU for my dad's computer and the case imposed PSU size limitations. The testing was fine and a nice read, but after reading them, I'd be forced to go to each manufacturer's website to figure out which PSU I can actually use. There is the potential for me to get my hopes up and have them crushed when a good reviewed PSU won't fit.

Overall, the review was very good from a numbers standpoint. I really liked seeing the noise at each load level.

Top
 Profile

 Post subject: Re: power supply test at anandtech.com
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:19 am
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:26 pm
Pappnaas wrote:
I'm no native speaker, your pun backfired and i find it offending.

It wasn't a pun. I found your wild overstatement offensive and I let you know.

The anandtech reviewer provided useful information. You have provided nothing useful.

> Would you accept any car comparison that doesn't contain the length and other physical measures?

Of course I would. I can think of several sources that don't provide such specs.

You might prefer to see such specs in every product review. To claim that a review that didn't include them is totally worthless is not reasonable.

> In my world, doing a serious review starts with the description of the reviewed parts.
> And if the scientific base rules are disregarded, how trustworthy is the rest of the stuff?

I'm a scientist by training. I know the difference between a scientific paper and a product review.

Bill

Top
 Profile

 Post subject: Re: power supply test at anandtech.com
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:07 pm
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:12 am
Location: USA
Without speaking to the "quality" of the descriptions or tests referenced on the link above, it is obvious that it is not geared to quiet computing, so this entire thread should be moved to the Off Topic section. No one ever claimed that quiet computing is cheap.

Top
 Profile

 Post subject: Re: power supply test at anandtech.com
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:36 pm
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:26 pm
m0002a wrote:
Without speaking to the "quality" of the descriptions or tests referenced on the link above, it is obvious that it is not geared to quiet computing, so this entire thread should be moved to the Off Topic section. No one ever claimed that quiet computing is cheap.

I started this thread with a link to a power supply test. One person responded that the power supplies were of interest to him. They are of interest to me. I believe that the thread is in the right place.

These power supplies might be quite appropriate if you were assembling a low power system that would idle at 30 watts or less and consume little more power in normal use. I might still choose to use a more expensive power supply such as the Seasonic 560 watt supply in my personal PC. However, I'd appreciate knowing what's available at lower prices.

Perhaps you could present your criteria for power supplies to be included in this forum. Price level? Noise level at low power? Noise level at rated power? power rating?

Bill

Top
 Profile

 Post subject: Re: power supply test at anandtech.com
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:23 pm
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:12 am
Location: USA
Listener wrote:
Perhaps you could present your criteria for power supplies to be included in this forum.

When a fist-fight breaks out, then the thread belongs in the off-topic section.

Top
 Profile

 Post subject: Re: power supply test at anandtech.com
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:48 pm
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:26 pm
m0002a wrote:
Listener wrote:
Perhaps you could present your criteria for power supplies to be included in this forum.

When a fist-fight breaks out, then the thread belongs in the off-topic section.

Are you the moderator or do you just play one?

Bill

Top
 Profile

 Post subject: Re: power supply test at anandtech.com
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:09 am
Offline

Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Germany
Bill,

you deliberatly chose to fire first and argue second. Being a scientist by training hasn't gotten through to your manners.

Not useful in here.

Top
 Profile

 Post subject: Re: power supply test at anandtech.com
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:21 am
Offline
SPCR Reviewer

Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2002 6:33 am
Location: Sunny SoCal
Listener wrote:

Are you the moderator or do you just play one?

Bill

No, he's not, but I AM.

And I'd suggest that if this thread doesn't get/stay on topic very soon it will be locked or deleted.

_________________
Main Box: Intel i3-3225, Intel DH77EB, 16GB Corsair RAM, 256GB Samsung 830, SS360GP PSU, CM PS07 case.
Music Server: Intel DH77EB + i3-3220, 2xSamsung 2TB F4, Pico PSU, Fractal Define Mini, 2xScythe Fans @250 rpm.

Top
 Profile

 Post subject: Re: power supply test at anandtech.com
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:56 am
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:26 pm
Ralf Hutter wrote:
Listener wrote:

Are you the moderator or do you just play one?

Bill

No, he's not, but I AM.

And I'd suggest that if this thread doesn't get/stay on topic very soon it will be locked or deleted.

I posted a link to information I considered good. Talk to Pappnaas who thread crapped.

Bill

Top
 Profile

 Post subject: Re: power supply test at anandtech.com
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:24 pm
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:03 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Pappnaas wrote:
I think this test is totally worthless.

As i pointed out before to anandtech author, he deliberatly omitted the physical measurements of the tested psus. What is a test worth, when the author refuses to do his homework?

What use does such a test have, when i have to look up by myself if this psu would fit in a sugo or any other mini-itx case?

Without question, you should demand a refund!

Top
 Profile

 Post subject: Re: power supply test at anandtech.com
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:59 am
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:10 am
Pappnaas wrote:
Would you accept any car comparison that doesn't contain the length and other physical measures?

Yes, I would. Such specs can easily be found at other sources and copying them into the review doesn't increase the value of the review to me, while it decreases the value / length ratio of the review.

Top
 Profile

 Post subject: Re: power supply test at anandtech.com
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:01 pm
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:06 pm
Location: US
see new thread - forking the subject matter
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=64714

_________________
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
"Aristotle calls man the rational animal. All my life I have been seeking evidence to confirm this" Bertrand Russell
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

Top
 Profile

 Post subject: Re: power supply test at anandtech.com
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:18 pm
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:29 pm
So this time wy didn't Anandtech mention how fast those PSUs were or how they "interfered" with memory contents, as was done in their 2003 review? :mrgreen:

"2003 Power Supply Roundup Part II: Better Faster Cheaper" http://www.anandtech.com/show/1124

Top
 Profile

 Post subject: Re: power supply test at anandtech.com
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:23 am
Offline

Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 3:58 am
Location: Formosa
At least, it's a review aimed at budget, low-wattage PSUs ..... I'm grateful for this idea.
FSP managed to surprise me given its low pricing, acceptable performance.

Top
 Profile

 Post subject: Re: power supply test at anandtech.com
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:36 am
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:10 am
larrymoencurly wrote:
So this time wy didn't Anandtech mention how fast those PSUs were or how they "interfered" with memory contents, as was done in their 2003 review? :mrgreen:

"2003 Power Supply Roundup Part II: Better Faster Cheaper" http://www.anandtech.com/show/1124

Holy shit, that's A LOT of errors. Might tell more about memory quality than PSU quality though.

Top
 Profile

 Post subject: Re: power supply test at anandtech.com
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:37 pm
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:06 pm
Location: US
loimlo wrote:
FSP managed to surprise me given its low pricing, acceptable performance.
I bought an FSP UPS just for its fit in a Lian Li Q-07 case. While I certainly don't operate it with much load, I find the fan very very quiet at the loads I run it at. You can feel the fan working, so it is turning, but slow enough that I can't hear it.

"Aristotle calls man the rational animal. All my life I have been seeking evidence to confirm this" Bertrand Russell
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

Top
 Profile

Display posts from previous:  Sort by
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]