Anyone willing to post screenshots of FanXpert +?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Anyone willing to post screenshots of FanXpert +?

Post by kuzzia » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:09 pm

I know how the user interface of FanXpert looks like. I also know how the user interface of FanXpert 2 looks like (via YouTube). But I can't find any screenshots of FanXpert+ anywhere. So if someone has FanXpert+ would you be able to post some screenshots of FanXpert+ ?

Thanks in advance.

Cod

Re: Anyone willing to post screenshots of FanXpert +?

Post by Cod » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:03 pm

Here's a few: http://rog.asus.com/78012012/overclocki ... fan-xpert/

I also use Fan Xpert+ as part of Asus AISuite II with the P8Z77-M Pro motherboard. I'll get some screen shots next time I boot her up.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:30 am

Thank you very much for that. I look forward to it .

Cod

Post by Cod » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:21 pm

As promised, some screen shots can be seen on my Photobucket page (link directly to album): http://s1092.photobucket.com/albums/i40 ... /Computer/

The screens are somewhat large, so if you need me to send them to you directly, I can. Hope these work for you. And if you have any questions, feel free to ask as I've been trying to learn everything about AISuite II.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:44 pm

Thank you very much for those photos.

I have the following question:

Is the lowest speed for chassis fans 60% or does that only apply to your particular fan?

Cod

Post by Cod » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:33 pm

kuzzia wrote:Thank you very much for those photos.

I have the following question:

Is the lowest speed for chassis fans 60% or does that only apply to your particular fan?
From what I can tell, it has to do with the motherboard and Fan Xpert+. I've seen fan speeds around 30% w/ Fan Xpert 2, but it isn't official supported by the motherboard I'm using (ASUS P8Z77-M Pro). Also, I've seen Silverstone GD05 reviews that mention the case fans at sub 50% speeds.

I may give Fan Xpert 2 a shot and see what changes I can make.

EDIT: Check out this post from sssttt viewtopic.php?f=13&t=64339&p=559368#p559368 He mentions the lower limit of 60%.

Cod

Post by Cod » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:34 am

I just spoke with ASUS and found out Fan Xpert+ has limited control over fans using 3-pin connectors. It was meant only for 4-pin PWM connectors. The newest version of Fan Xpert, Fan Xpert II, supports 3-pin and 4-pin PWM connectors. I'd give the newest version a shot if you plan on using AI Suite.

Madmanden

Post by Madmanden » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:30 am

Can you use FanXpert 2 on, say, a P8Z77-M? What I mean is, is it just a question of the right software or are you stuck with FanXpert+ on that mb?

mkk

Post by mkk » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:29 am

Fan Xpert 2 needs the board to have a more expensive fan controller for each header, so it's only for the pricier models. Fan headers that are dumb +12V connectors cannot be controlled by anything as they don't even have voltage regulation.

Edit: I would have loved to have had Fan Xpert 2 on my new build, but just couldn't find an ASUS Z77 motherboard interesting enough that wasn't also too expensive, so I ended up with an MSI Z77A-G45 and happy with that in spite of the fairly usual limited fan control. At least two of the four headers can also control 3-pin fans.
Last edited by mkk on Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Madmanden

Post by Madmanden » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:32 am

mkk wrote:Fan Xpert 2 needs the board to have a more expensive fan controller for each header, so it's only for the pricier models. Fan headers that are dumb +12V connectors cannot be controlled by anything as they don't even have voltage regulation.
Thanks! :-)

Cod

Post by Cod » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:10 am

Madmanden wrote:Can you use FanXpert 2 on, say, a P8Z77-M? What I mean is, is it just a question of the right software or are you stuck with FanXpert+ on that mb?
I tried Fan Xpert 2 on the P8Z77-M Pro for a few days, but reverted back to Fan Xpert+ because I didn't like the results. My case fans use 3-pin connectors, so when I replace them with new PWM fans, I'll give Xpert 2 another go.

JJ

Post by JJ » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:33 pm

Cod wrote:
Madmanden wrote:Can you use FanXpert 2 on, say, a P8Z77-M? What I mean is, is it just a question of the right software or are you stuck with FanXpert+ on that mb?
I tried Fan Xpert 2 on the P8Z77-M Pro for a few days, but reverted back to Fan Xpert+ because I didn't like the results. My case fans use 3-pin connectors, so when I replace them with new PWM fans, I'll give Xpert 2 another go.
What were the results that you didn't like?

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information about Fan Xpert+ and Fan Xpert 2. Do you mean to say that Fan Xpert+ cannot do voltage control of 3-pin fans?

Cod

Post by Cod » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:56 pm

JJ wrote:
Cod wrote:
What were the results that you didn't like?

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information about Fan Xpert+ and Fan Xpert 2. Do you mean to say that Fan Xpert+ cannot do voltage control of 3-pin fans?
Fan Xpert 2 was giving me crazy test results. All three case fans were showing vastly different numbers at high percentages. For example, one fan was showing 1158 RPM at 90% and another was showing 878 RPM. Also, the three standard Asus fan settings in Xpert 2 were not my cup of tea. All the fans were the same make / model.

I recently installed three Scythe PWM fans and gave Xpert 2 another try and was very impressed. My story may just be an anomaly, but I wasn't happy with Xpert 2 when using 3-pin connectors. I'm very happy and impressed with it now that I have PWM fans.