??? on CPU & Mobo for a new build.

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Phil H

??? on CPU & Mobo for a new build.

Post by Phil H » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:17 pm

First of all, thanks go to CA_Steve for help in guiding me in the right direction. And even though
I've used computers for over 25 years, this is the first time I've ever tackled anything like this.

My situation is, I do transcribing work. 95% of it is done from an audio file, and 5% of it is done from video. The programs that I use are Audacity and Dragon Naturally Speaking 11.5. The only game I play is spider solitaire. It will run 12 to 15 hours per day six days per week. I have two challenges; the first is the components, the second is the audio.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated. In your recommendations the factors most important to me -listed in order are 1. Reliability, 2. Power consumption, 3. Value. I don't need all the bells and whistles, but I would like to have the features that would benefit my application.

Challenge 1
1. CPU = Intel, because of the TDP. I’ve looked at the 620T, 630T, 640T, 860T.
a. Is there a lack of reliability factor in any of the above chips?
b. Would I be able to notice a difference in performance between 620T at 2.2 and the 860T at 2.6
c. What aftermarket “Silent Fan” would you recommend?

2. MOBO = H77 or ???
a. Graphics card = no
b. Sound card = yes
c. USB 3 = no
d. 8 gigs of ram
e. SATA III = yes
I would like to keep the cost of the CPU and the MOBO at $175 or less. There is room to move upward on that but the key factor would be value.

3. HDD = 2 SSD: Intel 520 Series Cherryville
a. One for the OS and my programs
b. The other one to store my work in
My reason for the SSD’s are power consumption, lack of noise and heat.

4. PSU
a. Would the Pico PSU route be the way to go with my low power consumption?

Challenge 2
1 Soundcard
I'm looking at the “Asus Xonar” most all of my work is not recorded in stereo. So 5 in 1 and 7 in 1 are really a disadvantage to me. What I'm really looking for is to try to get the clearest sound out of my recordings that I can. I plan on running a Scythe "Kama Bay AMP Kro" 2ch Amplifier to my Behringer MS40 40W Digital Studio Monitors.
Thank you for your help.
Phil Holst

JJ

Re: ??? on CPU & Mobo for a new build.

Post by JJ » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:29 pm

Why are 5.1 or 7.1 soundcards a disadvantage? I've been using a 5.1 channel soundcard for stereo for almost a decade with no problems. I also wouldn't discount onboard audio, but another option to consider is a USB audio adapter.

What's the purpose of the little amp if you're feeding powered speakers?

I haven't used many SSD based systems, but is having a two SSD setup in an OS/data configuration an advantage over using just one SSD?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:44 pm

Hi Phil. Welcome to the forum. Here's some feedback:

1.Don't bother with the T parts - it's just marketing. In actual use, T and non-T parts will use about the same power. There's only $25 difference between the G620 and G860. If $25, doesn't bother you, then get the G860 and have some headroom. Either should work for your apps. In general, they are the same chip - certain features and multipliers are enabled as you go up in speed - so they all have the same reliabilty. The fan/CPU cooler is dependant on the case (ie: will it fit?). Got a case?

2. $175 might be limiting in the wrong area..H77 works as you don't need the hardware features of the Z77 and it saves you some $'s. Some choices to be made, though. ATX or a smaller mobo - depends on the case selection.

I wouldn't bother with a sound card. Try the integrated sound and see how well that works. You can always add an Asus Xonar card later. Don't think you need 8GB, but if you do, I like this.

3. I'd go with an SSD for the OS/Apps and a WD Scorpio Blue 500GB for data storage. Intel is nice, as is Crucial M4 or Samsung 830. ~128GB should work.

4. As I mentioned privately, your power consumption will be low ( ~80W) and Pico-PSU seems to be a good fit. I'll leave it to the Pico PSU experts to chime in on details.

The audio thing: Don't get distracted by the 5.1 and 7.1 stuff. All integrated and sound cards can output stereo. As your speakers are powered, you won't need the Scythe amp.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:16 pm

I'd like to add that going usb for a sound card doesn't pay off in quality. Stick to the mentioned Asus Sonar, if onboard won't do. Most USB-Cards aren't worth to be named something with "sound".

All those i know who work with audio files/dictation use headphones and a foot switch, all claiming that using speakers will distract to much.