Agreed: There's no question that "serious" gamers willing to spend big bucks on computer hardware represent a very small percentage of total PC buyers & users -- and this case is geared mostly to that market segment. About the only other market segment I can think of for it is a custom high end PC or home/server server for geeks or folks who like nice things, and my bet is that segment is pretty stagnant.
You and I can shake our heads at gaming enthusiasts, but like high end audio, it's there, it just keeps going, and people keep spending the big bucks on it. ($230 will barely buy you one speaker stand in high end audio, btw.)
Remember that PC cases in the retail channels are geared to DIYers. Most people don't build their own PCs. Among those who do, serious gamers number highly. I assure you, there are many more gamers building computers than people who want a quiet, functional computer.
The business model for small, well-designed, subtle, cases that are not for gamers just isn't that strong... otherwise you'd see more of them.
How do you think a mATX version of the FT02 would fare against the TJ08-E? I just bought the TJ08-E but i would definitly be iching to buy a miniversion of the FT02.
How would it work?
1. First you shave of as much space as possible between the bottom fans and the MB.
2. There is som space between the right 180mm and the right chassi wall. If they make the chassi stand modular it would be possible to have the mounting of the 180mm so that you screw on the 180mm from below (but the 180mm fans are of course inside the case).
3. There is no need for the HDD sleds if they just expand the number of 5,25" bays and include 5,25" --> 3,5" adaptorsleds. That way its also a "gift" to people who want to do DYI suspension since its easier to do in a empty 5,25" then a empty 3,5".
4. With mATX mobo the width would be shorter and therefore if they use 2 x 180mm fans in the bottom, the left one would provide a breeze to the HDDs in 5,25" bay and direct cooling to a discrete GPU. The right one would provide direct cooling to CPU.
5. Too increase value Silverstone could also use mesh 5,25" covers as standard. That would increase airflow to HDD. Also it would make DYI slim 120mm fan placement possible somehow if someone wants that.
Maybe im just stating the obvious?