Best noise:CFM fans for radiators

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

monkey_mo

Best noise:CFM fans for radiators

Post by monkey_mo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:12 am

Okay so ive been researching like a mad man over the last 2 weeks on which fans i should I use for my rebuild. Anyway ive seen so much info over the web that i really cant make out what to get now. At the moment i have 3 NF-P12's on my PA 120.3 rad and they are nice but if i can find something that is (yes) a little more quieter with the same or better cfm output then im jumping on those. Pretty much everyone raves about the Gentle Typhoons (1450/1850rpm versions) but im currious to what you guys have to think about, as I hope everyone here on SPCR is obssesed with low accoustical sounds coming from their computer. Ive also looked into these other fans:

Areocool Shark 140mm
Phantek PH-F140TS
Noctua 140mm flx
couger 120mm fans (read that having them horizontally placed, screws them up making them sound much louder, so this will be in issue for me, well on my pa 120.2 rad)

I know i listed 140mm fans above and the reason i have done this is because my Pa 120.3 is the original 25mm spaced version (thanks MM for that) so i can actually install 2 140mm fans, one at each end and the middle rad spot would be for a 120mm fan.

To be honest price isnt a huge concern im just looking for fans that would be equal or better in cooling a radiator BUT HAS TO BE QUIETER than my NF-P12's. IDEALLY, the fans that are to be choosen should be under ~19cfm. There were some other silent fans i looked into (BeQuiet, I believe) but their lack of avalibility in Canada made them irrelevant to my build, because i cant simply get them here, so please, only suggest fans that are avalible in canada as well.

OT, but does any know of a trick that can make my D5 pump more quieter without having to set it under speed lvl 3? I was wondering if one of those bitspower dress up kits or something along those lines could actually be benificial to the sound output of the D5 as my basic assumption was that more material surrounding the pump would cause it to effectively dampen its noise output.

thx for the suggestions and advice

tanassi

Re: Best noise:CFM fans for radiators

Post by tanassi » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:50 am

The BeQuiets are crazy good and silent. If cash is no issue -> import them.

ces

Post by ces » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:29 am

I think you owe it to yourself to test the Gentle Typhoons.

It is impossible to get good comparable static pressure performance date on fans.

But the Gentle Typhoons are so obviously designed to sustain static pressure, with minimal degradation of CFM, you really should try them.

By the way, all things equal, smaller fans will handle high static pressure better than larger fans.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:11 pm

Gentle typhoons have been one of favorite of OCers, as ces said, they have good static preasure, and they are not that noisy. The ones that sold out fast were the ap15, but since you are looking for more quiet fan, maybe the spcr reviewed ap14 or drop down to the ap13.