Dual Core Ivy Bridge

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ces

Dual Core Ivy Bridge

Post by ces » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:20 pm

Does any know when or if a dual core desktop ivy bridge cpu is on they way in? Or are they just going to skip that for this generation?

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Dual Core Ivy Bridge

Post by nutball » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:10 am

ces

Post by ces » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:39 pm

Thanks, but those are laptop CPUs as opposed to desktop cpus.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:59 am

ces wrote:
Thanks, but those are laptop CPUs as opposed to desktop cpus.
Yes but there's discussion about the non-mobile parts too, including a distillation of this forums knowledge on their rumoured arrival time (tl;dr version - no-one really knows for sure, beyond "later this year").

ces

Post by ces » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:51 pm

You know what I would like to see. Just a dual core K version of Ivy Bridge, fabricated with real solder, sold just for the purpose of overclocking

Mr Spocko

Post by Mr Spocko » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:12 am

ces wrote:You know what I would like to see. Just a dual core K version of Ivy Bridge, fabricated with real solder, sold just for the purpose of overclocking

Keep dreaming!
You are right of course it would be a popular chip, but Intel are very unlikely to do such a move. They are boxing buyers in at the low end (regarding overclocking) and only letting you have fun if you spend more on the processors. It's a move which I think reduces the appeal of the i3 range. Even with a bit of a boost with IB it's not likely to bring very much over the current models.

Intel never really were a big player in the bang per buck overclockers market, in 2012 the same situation.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:02 am

The Ivy Bridge i3s are due to be supplemented by two Ivy Bridge G series Pentium CPUs. These are G2120 a 3.1Ghz 55w TDP unit and the G2100T a 2.6Ghz 35w TDP processor. Both of these are budget CPUs by any description. But at the same time they will provide at least some of the IB power boost and the whole range of Ivy Bridge motherboards will be open to them.

Mr Spocko

Post by Mr Spocko » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:48 pm

Well the Pentium models are def budget ones and BTW quite good actually for what they cost and nice cool processors tiny heatsinks as they put out so little heat. Obviously not for OC types who won't be able to do anything with them, same for i3 not an OC choice.

IMO the £30-£70 ish range is budget..£80-£120 ish is more mid range and above that for enthusiast level CPU's
I expect a moderate uplift with IB, but also the cost will probably go up thus balance things out

i3 series could be more IMO than just good Intel architecture on dual core processors, they could as above reach out a bit with a model that is overclock friendly.