power supply test at anandtech.com

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Post Reply
Listener
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:26 pm

power supply test at anandtech.com

Post by Listener » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:06 pm

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6013/3504 ... cheap-psus

The Corsiar and FSP units look interesting. It is good that the power supplies were tested at 5% and 10% load levels.

Bill

Pappnaas
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Germany

Re: power supply test at anandtech.com

Post by Pappnaas » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:17 pm

I think this test is totally worthless.

As i pointed out before to anandtech author, he deliberatly omitted the physical measurements of the tested psus. What is a test worth, when the author refuses to do his homework?

What use does such a test have, when i have to look up by myself if this psu would fit in a sugo or any other mini-itx case?

Listener
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:26 pm

Re: power supply test at anandtech.com

Post by Listener » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:53 pm

Pappnaas wrote:I think this test is totally worthless.

As i pointed out before to anandtech author, he deliberatly omitted the physical measurements of the tested psus. What is a test worth, when the author refuses to do his homework?

What use does such a test have, when i have to look up by myself if this psu would fit in a sugo or any other mini-itx case?
Are you familiar with the word tantrum?

Re: power supply test at anandtech.com

Post by Pappnaas » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:23 am

Listener wrote:
Pappnaas wrote:I think this test is totally worthless.

As i pointed out before to anandtech author, he deliberatly omitted the physical measurements of the tested psus. What is a test worth, when the author refuses to do his homework?

What use does such a test have, when i have to look up by myself if this psu would fit in a sugo or any other mini-itx case?
Are you familiar with the word tantrum?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tantrum

A tantrum (or temper tantrum or tirade or hissy fit) is an emotional outburst, usually associated with children or those in emotional distress, that is typically characterized by stubbornness, crying, screaming, yelling, shrieking, defiance, angry ranting, a resistance to attempts at pacification and, in some cases, violence. Physical control may be lost, the person may be unable to remain still, and even if the "goal" of the person is met he or she may not be calmed.[1][2][3][4][5] A tantrum may be expressed in a tirade: a protracted, angry, or violent speech.[1][2]

I don't know, if you meant something like that.

You're trying to make fun of me? Or just a casual insult?

Listener
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:26 pm

Re: power supply test at anandtech.com

Post by Listener » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:04 am

Pappnaas wrote:
Listener wrote:
Are you familiar with the word tantrum?
You're trying to make fun of me? Or just a casual insult?
The article didn't contain one specification that mattered to you so you pronounced the entire article to be totally worthless. It certainly sounded like a tantrum to me.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 6:53 am
Location: Sweden

Re: power supply test at anandtech.com

Thanks for bringing this test to my attention. I'm in the process of building a system for my sister and decided to get a cheaper PSU (the FSP model that did very well) instead of the Corsair I first had my eyes on.

Re: power supply test at anandtech.com

Post by Pappnaas » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:00 pm

Listener wrote:
Pappnaas wrote:
Listener wrote:
Are you familiar with the word tantrum?
You're trying to make fun of me? Or just a casual insult?
The article didn't contain one specification that mattered to you so you pronounced the entire article to be totally worthless. It certainly sounded like a tantrum to me.
I'm no native speaker, your pun backfired and i find it offending.

Back to topic:

Would you accept any car comparison that doesn't contain the length and other physical measures? Or wouldn't you start to wonder, what else is missing to? Can a website, that wants to be accepted as decent source of knowledge, afford to omit important data?

In my world, doing a serious review starts with the description of the reviewed parts. And if the scientific base rules are disregarded, how trustworthy is the rest of the stuff?

In my view anandtech cannot keep up with the quality standards they impose on themselves.

Cod
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:51 am
Location: USA

Re: power supply test at anandtech.com

Post by Cod » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:14 am

I gotta agree with Pappnaas regarding this test. I was recently in the market for a smaller PSU for my dad's computer and the case imposed PSU size limitations. The testing was fine and a nice read, but after reading them, I'd be forced to go to each manufacturer's website to figure out which PSU I can actually use. There is the potential for me to get my hopes up and have them crushed when a good reviewed PSU won't fit.

Overall, the review was very good from a numbers standpoint. I really liked seeing the noise at each load level.

Listener
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:26 pm

Re: power supply test at anandtech.com

Post by Listener » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:19 am

Pappnaas wrote: I'm no native speaker, your pun backfired and i find it offending.
It wasn't a pun. I found your wild overstatement offensive and I let you know.

The anandtech reviewer provided useful information. You have provided nothing useful.

> Would you accept any car comparison that doesn't contain the length and other physical measures?

Of course I would. I can think of several sources that don't provide such specs.

You might prefer to see such specs in every product review. To claim that a review that didn't include them is totally worthless is not reasonable.

> In my world, doing a serious review starts with the description of the reviewed parts.
> And if the scientific base rules are disregarded, how trustworthy is the rest of the stuff?

I'm a scientist by training. I know the difference between a scientific paper and a product review.

Bill

m0002a
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:12 am
Location: USA

Re: power supply test at anandtech.com

Post by m0002a » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:07 pm

Without speaking to the "quality" of the descriptions or tests referenced on the link above, it is obvious that it is not geared to quiet computing, so this entire thread should be moved to the Off Topic section. No one ever claimed that quiet computing is cheap.

Listener
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:26 pm

Re: power supply test at anandtech.com

Post by Listener » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:36 pm

m0002a wrote:Without speaking to the "quality" of the descriptions or tests referenced on the link above, it is obvious that it is not geared to quiet computing, so this entire thread should be moved to the Off Topic section. No one ever claimed that quiet computing is cheap.
I started this thread with a link to a power supply test. One person responded that the power supplies were of interest to him. They are of interest to me. I believe that the thread is in the right place.

These power supplies might be quite appropriate if you were assembling a low power system that would idle at 30 watts or less and consume little more power in normal use. I might still choose to use a more expensive power supply such as the Seasonic 560 watt supply in my personal PC. However, I'd appreciate knowing what's available at lower prices.

Perhaps you could present your criteria for power supplies to be included in this forum. Price level? Noise level at low power? Noise level at rated power? power rating?

Bill

m0002a
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:12 am
Location: USA

Re: power supply test at anandtech.com

Post by m0002a » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:23 pm

Listener wrote:Perhaps you could present your criteria for power supplies to be included in this forum.
When a fist-fight breaks out, then the thread belongs in the off-topic section.

Listener
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:26 pm

Re: power supply test at anandtech.com

Post by Listener » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:48 pm

m0002a wrote:
Listener wrote:Perhaps you could present your criteria for power supplies to be included in this forum.
When a fist-fight breaks out, then the thread belongs in the off-topic section.
Are you the moderator or do you just play one?

Re: power supply test at anandtech.com

Post by Pappnaas » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:09 am

Bill,

you deliberatly chose to fire first and argue second. Being a scientist by training hasn't gotten through to your manners.

Not useful in here.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2002 6:33 am
Location: Sunny SoCal

Re: power supply test at anandtech.com

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:21 am

Listener wrote:
Are you the moderator or do you just play one?

Bill
No, he's not, but I AM.

And I'd suggest that if this thread doesn't get/stay on topic very soon it will be locked or deleted.

Listener
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:26 pm

Re: power supply test at anandtech.com

Post by Listener » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:56 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
Listener wrote:
Are you the moderator or do you just play one?

Bill
No, he's not, but I AM.

And I'd suggest that if this thread doesn't get/stay on topic very soon it will be locked or deleted.
I posted a link to information I considered good. Talk to Pappnaas who thread crapped.

Bill

b_rubenstein
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:03 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: power supply test at anandtech.com

Post by b_rubenstein » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:24 pm

Pappnaas wrote:I think this test is totally worthless.

As i pointed out before to anandtech author, he deliberatly omitted the physical measurements of the tested psus. What is a test worth, when the author refuses to do his homework?

What use does such a test have, when i have to look up by myself if this psu would fit in a sugo or any other mini-itx case?
Without question, you should demand a refund!

Olaf van der Spek
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:10 am

Re: power supply test at anandtech.com

Post by Olaf van der Spek » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:59 am

Pappnaas wrote:Would you accept any car comparison that doesn't contain the length and other physical measures?
Yes, I would. Such specs can easily be found at other sources and copying them into the review doesn't increase the value of the review to me, while it decreases the value / length ratio of the review.

ces
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:06 pm
Location: US

Re: power supply test at anandtech.com

Post by ces » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:01 pm

see new thread - forking the subject matter
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=64714

larrymoencurly
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:29 pm

Re: power supply test at anandtech.com

Post by larrymoencurly » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:18 pm

So this time wy didn't Anandtech mention how fast those PSUs were or how they "interfered" with memory contents, as was done in their 2003 review? :mrgreen:

"2003 Power Supply Roundup Part II: Better Faster Cheaper" http://www.anandtech.com/show/1124

loimlo
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 3:58 am
Location: Formosa

Re: power supply test at anandtech.com

Post by loimlo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:23 am

At least, it's a review aimed at budget, low-wattage PSUs ..... I'm grateful for this idea.
FSP managed to surprise me given its low pricing, acceptable performance.

Olaf van der Spek
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:10 am

Re: power supply test at anandtech.com

Post by Olaf van der Spek » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:36 am

larrymoencurly wrote:So this time wy didn't Anandtech mention how fast those PSUs were or how they "interfered" with memory contents, as was done in their 2003 review? :mrgreen:

"2003 Power Supply Roundup Part II: Better Faster Cheaper" http://www.anandtech.com/show/1124
Holy shit, that's A LOT of errors. Might tell more about memory quality than PSU quality though.

ces
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:06 pm
Location: US

Re: power supply test at anandtech.com

Post by ces » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:37 pm

loimlo wrote:FSP managed to surprise me given its low pricing, acceptable performance.
I bought an FSP UPS just for its fit in a Lian Li Q-07 case. While I certainly don't operate it with much load, I find the fan very very quiet at the loads I run it at. You can feel the fan working, so it is turning, but slow enough that I can't hear it.

Post Reply