Prolimatech Genesis or Thermalright Archon SB-E

Post by lb_felipe » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:43 am

Which is more efficient under 600 RPM?

1-) Prolimatech Genesis with two Scythe Slip Stream 120 PWM;
2-) Thermalright Archon SB-E (stock).

ces

Re: Prolimatech Genesis or Thermalright Archon SB-E

Post by ces » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:02 am

These are both good heatsinks. Both Thermalright and Prolimatech make good heat sinks. Prolimatech is actually the spin off of a rogue team of heat sink engineers from Thermalright.

I don't know that the answer to your questions is available. If I had to hazard a guess, I would suspect that the Thermalright is more efficient at idle and the Prolimatech is capable of more efficiency when handling handling greater quantities of heat.

May I ask what the system is you are considering for their use... and what you use of the system is expected to be? I think we can help you better if you throw out a problem as opposed to a question.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:12 pm

Hi, looking at the two in SPCR's reviews it looks like the Genesis with two fans (not included) will out perform the Archon with it's single stock fan. With a second fan added to the Archon who knows, but whether you can find another TY-150 (or TY-170 or whatever it is) is another matter, not that the fans have to match of course.
You might also look at the Thermalright Silver Arrow and Noctua NH-D14 as being in the same class.

I would suggest that in practice both will perform similarly well, it's more a case of aesthetics, cost and availability. Your case will take the 170mm tall Archon?
Both should be well able to cool very hot and/or very over-clocked CPUs quietly, what application do you have in mind?

The real key will be in the fan speed control/tuning you can do and if you want the included Thermalright fan or to choose your own for the Prolimatech.

Regards, Seb

lb_felipe

Post by lb_felipe » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:16 am

ces and SebRad, thank you for the answers.

I intend a system like this:

i7-3770K, P8Z77-V DELUXE, four (16GB in total) Samsung 4GB 1.35V Low Profile, GIGABYTE GTX 680 "Windforce" (due to its power sockets) with Accelero Xtreme III, SB X-Fi Titanium HD, Samsung SSD 830 256GB, two (in RAID 1) WD Caviar Green 3TB, Pioneer BDR-207DBK, Antec P280 (top fan hole to be covered) with two NB M12-S1 (one for rear exhaust and one for front intake for video card) and Seasonic X-1050.

TR says Archon SB-E with TY-150 is 175 mm height. Antec says P280 has 170 mm of clearance for CPU Cooler.

I guess Genesis with two TY-150s is the winner but I don't know if the speed of these fans can be dropped to 600 RPM or less using PWM (TR says minimum is 900 RPM) and if they together fit in P280. On the other hand, stock Archon SB-E may suffer from all the problems mentioned. Therefore I think the best solution for ultra low noise is Genesis plus two 120~140 mm fan. So I think about Slip Stream 120 PWM.

P.S.:
Prolimatech is actually the spin off of a rogue team of heat sink engineers from Thermalright.
ces, just out of curiosity, do you think buying Prolimatech unethical?

ces

Post by ces » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:01 am

lb_felipe wrote:ces, just out of curiosity, do you think buying Prolimatech unethical?
That happened a few years ago. And I am unaware that it was anything but friendly. For use consumers it has been good. I sincerely believe the competition between them has spurred on innovation at the high end of the market.

ces

Post by ces » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:19 am

lb_felipe wrote:TR says Archon SB-E with TY-150 is 175 mm height. Antec says P280 has 170 mm of clearance for CPU Cooler. I guess Genesis with two TY-150s is the winner but I don't know if the speed of these fans can be dropped to 600 RPM or less using PWM (TR says minimum is 900 RPM) and if they together fit in P280. On the other hand, stock Archon SB-E may suffer from all the problems mentioned. Therefore I think the best solution for ultra low noise is Genesis plus two 120~140 mm fan. So I think about Slip Stream 120 PWM.
Both coolers coolers permit you to select your own fans. So I would.

The Genesis is so big, I would start off with just a single Nexus 120 running at a low speed. Forget about the pwm.

Scythe slipstream has some very nice 500rpm fans that you can just plug in at a full 12 volts. Two of those, with this heatsink should handle as much heat as your are liekly to run into.

Actually, you should probably consider saving yourself a few bucks at get the Prolimatech Megahalen. It is much less awkward than the Genesis, takes up much less room and is a top line performer. It performs exceptionally well with low rpm fans.

ces

Post by ces » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:39 am

One more thought.

The i7-3770K doesn't generate a lot of heat... but the gating factor in managing its temperature is heat transfer from the chip to the chip's metal housing. Once the heat is wicked away from the mount, most topline heat sinks should handle the quantity of heat just fine.

That makes me think that you should consider the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme. It has a special mounting bracket that allows you adjust the mounting pressure from 40~70lbs. If you crank it up to 70lbs, that might give it an advantage over other coolers with respect to the i7-3770K heat management Achilles heal.

See:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_Heatsinks
http://www.silentpcreview.com/freezer-x ... 120e-revc/

lb_felipe

Post by lb_felipe » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:27 pm

Thank you again.

You should note that is the Thermalright Ultra120 eXtreme Rev.C which has the better mounting bracket and it is NOT compatible with LGA 1155.

The price for me who lives in Brazil is always so much, therefore the difference of price among these high-end coolers is minimal. This makes me quest for the best.

I heard Ivy Bridge's heat issue. I'll want to put 3770K in highest overclock without spoiling the noise characteristics.

My bad. Where I said TY-150 is specified to work between 900 to 1300 RPM, I meant TY-140. Genesis with TY-140 or TY-141 should fit in P280. The problem is a minimum of 900 RPM. TY-150 is 500 to 1100 RPM.

ces

Post by ces » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:02 pm

lb_felipe wrote:You should note that is the Thermalright Ultra120 eXtreme Rev.C which has the better mounting bracket and it is NOT compatible with LGA 1155..
All the True Spirits mount on 1155, so are you saying that they no longer sell True Spirits with that special mounting system? I thought it had been universally acclaimed... if it was that good it would seem strange for them to abandon it.

This Socket 1156 Bolt-Thru-Kit Rev.B, (that works on both 1156 and 1155) certainly looks like my recollection of that mounting kit?
http://www.thermalright.com/products/in ... =20#id=122

lb_felipe

Post by lb_felipe » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:49 pm

According to this, It is not compatible with 1155/1156 sockets.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=26116

To do compatible, you need this one which you mentioned:

Thermalright Socket 1156 Bolt-Thru-Kit Rev.B

However, I don't find it for sale.

Given that Venomous X already comes with pressure mounting system and, according to SPCR, it's almost the same good as Ultra120 eXtreme Rev.C, without saying that it has more widely spaced fins, I do not see the benefits from the TRUE Rev.C.

If I had an Ultra120 eXtreme Rev.C, I'd buy the Thermalright Venomous BTK although its price is absurd in the PPCs: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=31250

Thank you and feel free to comment anymore.

ces

Post by ces » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:31 pm

I sort of consider the venomous X and the True Spirit to sort of basically be the same heatsink.

In any event, the Venemous X Silent edition here, does 1056/1055 and comes with the 40~70 lbs. pressure mounting system.
http://www.thermalright.com/products/in ... =35&id=177

Thermalright Venomous X here costs $64.99 at Performance PCs (listed in their 1155/1156 section)
"The Thermalright Venomous-X is finally ready after 18 months in development and compatible with sockets 775, 1156, and 1366. The Venomous X was designed with the future in mind and future compatibility with the Core i9 processors have already been accounted for. This is possible due to the installation hardware which allows adjustment of pressure via the "Pressure Vault Bracket." Adjustments can be made from 40-80 lbs of pressure to fit any CPU IHS for the best possible CPU contact."
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=26988
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=26988
""

The Archon costs $79.99
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=29739

The Prolimatech Genesis costs $74.95 at both newegg and performance-pcs
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=32133
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835242007

So the Venomous X is - at least in the US - slightly less expensive than the two heat sinks you were originally considering. I think even if the Venemous X was the same price, it probably meets your needs better than the other two you are currently considering.

But that's just me. Any one of these three are superior and have more that adequate cooling capacity for your needs.

JJ

Post by JJ » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:46 am

With the Prolimatech Megahalems, would it be quieter with two fans at very low RPM, or just one fan at a higher RPM? Actually, this question applies to most tower coolers that can use two fans in a push-pull configuration.

ces

Post by ces » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:50 am

JJ wrote:With the Prolimatech Megahalems, would it be quieter with two fans at very low RPM, or just one fan at a higher RPM? Actually, this question applies to most tower coolers that can use two fans in a push-pull configuration.
Without a doubt, two fans at very lower RPM

lb_felipe

Post by lb_felipe » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:22 pm

Which is better for the Venomous-X, Noctua NF-F12 PWM or Scythe Slip Stream 120 PWM (SY1225SL12LM-P)?

ces

Post by ces » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:36 am

lb_felipe wrote:Which is better for the Venomous-X, Noctua NF-F12 PWM or Scythe Slip Stream 120 PWM (SY1225SL12LM-P)?
You are going to have to experiment.

It is highly likely that the Scythe Slip Stream will be quieter.

The Noctua NF-F12 PWM mostly will cool better, and do so at a lower rpm, in a heat sink situation. It also has a much longer mean time between failure than the Slipstream.

I about a year, Noctua is coming out with an adaptive sound management version of the NF-F12 PWM and that may change things.

If you have to choose between the two right now, I would recommend:
1. For vertical placement the Scythe
2. For horizontal placement, on a CPU heat sink, especially one with narrow find spacing, the Noctua NF-F12. Or in a cooling situation where you are concerned that maybe the heatsink might get overloaded... maybe again I would go with the NF-F12.

But the best option is to test both of them.

gregoire.favre

Post by gregoire.favre » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:52 am

I don't find the RAM clearance of the Venemous X Silent edition (I have 40mm ram, four of them) anyone know it ?

It's one of the only cooler I might found in my country :-)