Zalman
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 26

ces

The Top CPU Heat Sink Brands

Post by ces » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:35 pm

What do you think are the Top CPU Heat Sink Brands and models.... and why? You get two votes.

ces

Re: The Top CPU Heat Sink Brands

Post by ces » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:41 pm

Promlimatech just makes good solid heat sinks. One disappointment is that while they maintain compatibility charts... they are not as complete and thorough as those of Noctua and Thermalright.
Noctua makes good product as well. I like them because of their policy of providing free mounting kits to their existing customers as new chips are released. They also, in my opinion, have the best, most Thorough compatibility charts.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:27 pm

I'm very happy with the Prolimatech Megahalems. Very close to the original Scythe Ninja in performance, and with a better mounting system.

Scythe, on the other hand, hasn't IMHO made a really good heat sink since the original Ninja (SCNJ-1000).

JJ

Post by JJ » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:02 pm

"Top" in what way? Silent computing, overclocking, popularity?

the best for overclocking won't necessarily be best for quiet computing. There are similarities - large heatsinks and large diameter fans in both cases - but the fans supplied and turbulence from the design itself can make some of the good overclockers very noisy. The most popular brands will vary quite a bit from country to country.

ces

Post by ces » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:41 pm

JJ wrote:"Top" in what way? Silent computing, overclocking, popularity?.
Any way you want.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:58 am

There are no top brands, just good or bad products.

The manufacturers have to prove everytime that their product is worth buying, with every product. Some people may be buying stuff because it comes from a certain brand, not because it's the best product available. That's probably why those marketing guys are kept employed :)

So no vote from me today.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:49 am

Haven't been disappointed by a Noctua product or service yet nor know anyone who has. Scythe has made very nice special-purpose and good value models and their fans have been top notch.

Zalman outright fizzled. Thermalright only seem to do big ones, albeit often very efficient; fans vary. Prolimatech is in the same boat as Thermalright, plus I have very limited data on their fans. Cooler Master is a good budget choice but so far that's been it, and the fans haven't been the best.

A subjective poll every now and then is fun.