Shuttle SZ77R5

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

alexander

Shuttle SZ77R5

Post by alexander » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:59 am

I currently have a Lian Li V354B case fitted out with 2 x Noctua fans and a Corsair AX750W PSU. The HD6950 has a Gelid Icy Vision Cooler attached.

All fans are at 5v or less (except the 140mm) and thus the case is pretty much as silent as it can be. It also had purely an SSD and so I didn't need to worry about HDD noise.

I am now downsizing further and want to purchase a Shuttle SZ77R5.

I have read the two reviews there are available and I have heard different things about the noise levels.

Some say it is extremely quiet and others say it is noisy.

I have purchased an Ivy Bridge 3570K that I will not be overclocking due to noise levels. I will probably purchase a 670GTX or a 660Ti (when available) as I believe they are near silent due to being so cool.

Has anyone got a Shuttle Sz77R5 or a SZ68R5 which they can comment on?

Any help would be much appreciated!

mentawl

Re: Shuttle SZ77R5

Post by mentawl » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:40 am

Can't offer any advice on the case, but a word of warning - GTX 670s with the reference nVidia cooler are far from silent. I just bought one myself, and am in the middle of concocting crazy cooling strategies for it to avoid the growling of the stock blower fan. I'd definitely recommend one of the 670s with an after-market heatsink if noise is your primary concern.

alexander

Post by alexander » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:07 am

Thanks for that, was definitely looking at the Asus DirectCU II. I've read that at Idle even with you ear to it you can't hear it and at full load it is as quiet as the stock at idle.

I'm also limited to a double slot card as the shuttle can't take a triple one. Sadly, nowadays most aftermarket coolers are triple slots.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:04 am

http://global.shuttle.com/main/products ... uctId=1581

Judging by pics #3,5 and 6:

- you'll probably toast every gpu with more than 1 6/8-Pin power connector
- smallish psu fan, wonder how loud that will get
- CPU cooler doesn't contribute to airstream through the case
- adding any gpu will put stress on cpu temps
- "breathing holes" on side panel way to restrictive for high power card
- no intakes in drive area, you'll toast your drives too

Be aware, i haven't seen this case, i'm just drawing assumptions from watching the linked pics.