Thermalright Archon SB-E 15cm Fan CPU Cooler

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Thermalright Archon SB-E 15cm Fan CPU Cooler

Post by Lawrence Lee » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:25 pm

Enzo_FX

Re: Thermalright Archon SB-E 15cm Fan CPU Cooler

Post by Enzo_FX » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:13 am

Nice to see something targeted at lower airflow. I still use my HR-01 Plus because of its wide spacing.

lb_felipe

Post by lb_felipe » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:48 am

Great review as usual.

I have a question: Does its height exceed the clearance limit of Antec SOLO II?

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:22 am

From Solo II Review page 4
CPU heatsink up to 17.4 cm tall
So according to SPCRs measurements it fits and you have a whole 2mm spare!

Regards, Seb

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:44 am

I think that as with the Prolimatech Armageddon, it will be a tight fit in a lot of cases, but in most of the cases with foam or acoustic lining on the side panel, a bit of that stuff can be removed where the heatsink sits to make a bit more room. If you don't mind living a bit dangerously, the tip of the heatpipes caps touching or even pressing a bit against the side cover should not be detrimental -- the extra pressure and heat conduction might even help w/cooling.

LBXAC20

Post by LBXAC20 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:50 am

If you look at the bottom of page2 http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1271-page2.html at the heatsink imprint pattern,
it looks like the base is convex to a siginificant degree.

I had the same problem with my Thermalright True Spirit 140 and had absolutely disastrous temperatures before lapping,
so it looks like its a common problem befalling their heatsinks lately.

Its still a great sink but if you get one I would say you should probably check for flatness...

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:49 am

LBXAC20 wrote:If you look at the bottom of page2 http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1271-page2.html at the heatsink imprint pattern, it looks like the base is convex to a siginificant degree.
If you're referring to the pic of the CPU with TIM on it, that's not necessarily after the Archon was mounted on it; it could have been taken before the TIM was cleaned off after the last HD tested.

If the TIM imprint pattern was indeed that of the Archon, our results suggest that it did not hurt the performance in the least.

Thermalright intends its bases to be slightly convex, to match the slightly concave shape of most heatspreaders on CPUs, both Intel and AMD. I've checked about 10 CPU samples, and all but one of them have a very slightly depressed center, which can be seen by holding a good metal straight edge across the top of the CPU and holding it to a light (or window) -- the gap is easily visible.

LBXAC20

Post by LBXAC20 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:36 pm

MikeC wrote:
LBXAC20 wrote:If you look at the bottom of page2 http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1271-page2.html at the heatsink imprint pattern, it looks like the base is convex to a siginificant degree.
If you're referring to the pic of the CPU with TIM on it, that's not necessarily after the Archon was mounted on it; it could have been taken before the TIM was cleaned off after the last HD tested.

If the TIM imprint pattern was indeed that of the Archon, our results suggest that it did not hurt the performance in the least.

Thermalright intends its bases to be slightly convex, to match the slightly concave shape of most heatspreaders on CPUs, both Intel and AMD. I've checked about 10 CPU samples, and all but one of them have a very slightly depressed center, which can be seen by holding a good metal straight edge across the top of the CPU and holding it to a light (or window) -- the gap is easily visible.
Yes thats right a slight convex warp would be ideal in most cases, however, it seems that sometimes TR heatsinks bow out too much. I can only speak for myself and x-bitlabs also seemed to have issue with this. My situation was so bad that about 60% of the heatspreader was entirely left without TIM, and temperatures were worse than the stock intel heatsink, after a quick lapping though, everything behaved as it should. Naturally I'm not saying the Archon definitely has this problem its just something that bothered me when I saw the pic of the imprint posted in the article.

Another theory of mine, which might be completely unscientific and wholly incorrect, but one I observed in how my system behaved was that when you've got a convex heatsink mount pushing away the TIM, it might not initially manifest itself in higher temps, but rather after a few hours of use, when TIM will migrate outwards as a result of the pressure. This could explain why temperatures might initially look good but later on start to worsen.

LBXAC20

Post by LBXAC20 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:36 pm

lb_felipe wrote:Great review as usual.

I have a question: Does its height exceed the clearance limit of Antec SOLO II?
I've got a True Spirit 140 (which is the same height as the Archon original) in a SOLO II and I use the TY-141 fan which already sticks out above the heatpipes, at least the way I mounted the fan.
The sidepanel clears it fine and doesnt hit the top of the fan.

So if the Archon SB-E is only 2mm taller than that you will definitely be able to fit the SB-E in the Solo 2, because you can push down the fan or mount it with tie downs etc if you need to.
That said, if for some reason you run into problems just swap the TY-150 out with a TY-141, that should give you around 5mm extra clearance. (the ty-141 is already a beast of a fan and is very similar to the ty-150, only a bit smaller).

Also there is another user that reported the Archon and TY-150 combo does fit in the SOLO II viewtopic.php?p=555380#p555380

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:15 pm

Another theory of mine, which might be completely unscientific and wholly incorrect, but one I observed in how my system behaved was that when you've got a convex heatsink mount pushing away the TIM, it might not initially manifest itself in higher temps, but rather after a few hours of use, when TIM will migrate outwards as a result of the pressure. This could explain why temperatures might initially look good but later on start to worsen.
That is most likely a misconception. The laws a physics simply answer your issue. If TIM "migrates" outwards that is because of the laws of physics, a few hours later the same laws of physics still apply, so your question has nothing at all to do with the laws of physics. Unless you come up with some "evidence" to the contrary you, and your post(s) will be ignored by the majority. NOTE: TIM "is supposed to be squashed out" that's its whole damned point".

Andy

PS: I hope that you/your posts are not ignored.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:40 pm

TIM is supposed to form a super thin layer, just enough to fill any voids in the interface between HS and CPU. Most also harden at least somewhat over repeated heat/cool cycles; it doesn't stay in liquid form.

We've reviewed a dozen or more TR heatsinks over the years, and I don't recall ever seeing less than excellent performance from the vast majority of them, nor of their performance changing over any period of time. I'm not positive that TR has employed this convex base design all that time, but certainly for some years.

If you found an improvement with lapping, well that's good, but I wonder what other factors were in play? There are a few, potentially --

-- less than ideal tightening of HS to CPU (for whatever reason)
-- too much/little TIM

Finally, sure, you could have had a sample with too convex a base -- or a CPU with a really flat or even convex heatspreader -- anything is possible.

KadazanPL

Post by KadazanPL » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:13 pm

SebRad wrote:From Solo II Review page 4
CPU heatsink up to 17.4 cm tall
So according to SPCRs measurements it fits and you have a whole 2mm spare!
Do you happen to know whether the first Solo has the same width?

LBXAC20

Post by LBXAC20 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:34 am

andyb wrote:
That is most likely a misconception. The laws a physics simply answer your issue. If TIM "migrates" outwards that is because of the laws of physics, a few hours later the same laws of physics still apply, so your question has nothing at all to do with the laws of physics. Unless you come up with some "evidence" to the contrary you, and your post(s) will be ignored by the majority. NOTE: TIM "is supposed to be squashed out" that's its whole damned point".

Andy

PS: I hope that you/your posts are not ignored.
A misconception or not, I saw this behaviour multiple times when mounting and remounting my heatsink now you can explain it how you want if that theory isn't according to your liking but the fact remains that my temperatures were initially ok and then steadily worsened over a few hours. I don't know where the laws of physics come into the equation all I said was that i think that it gets pushed out over a period of a few hours and not necessarily immediately. Yeah and I understand that TIM is supposed to be squashed out but when theres no TIM on your heatspreader and heatsink right underneath the die and most of the heatsink is also barren of TIM and the TIM is peeling out into the socket ( even though only a little has been used) I think that isnt exactly ideal. To be clear i saw a 15C drop in IBT @ stock 3570k speeds, and more when overclocked. Forget the theory if you want, the fact remains that if you have a sink that is too convex and/or a cpu heatspreader that is also misshapen (in a way that doesn't 'fit' the bow in the heatsink) you will have an unoptimal cooling solution...I thought that much is accepted as general knowledge and that is the real point I'm trying to make.
Last edited by LBXAC20 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

LBXAC20

Post by LBXAC20 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:49 am

MikeC wrote:TIM is supposed to form a super thin layer, just enough to fill any voids in the interface between HS and CPU. Most also harden at least somewhat over repeated heat/cool cycles; it doesn't stay in liquid form.

We've reviewed a dozen or more TR heatsinks over the years, and I don't recall ever seeing less than excellent performance from the vast majority of them, nor of their performance changing over any period of time. I'm not positive that TR has employed this convex base design all that time, but certainly for some years.

If you found an improvement with lapping, well that's good, but I wonder what other factors were in play? There are a few, potentially --

-- less than ideal tightening of HS to CPU (for whatever reason)
-- too much/little TIM

Finally, sure, you could have had a sample with too convex a base -- or a CPU with a really flat or even convex heatspreader -- anything is possible.
I experimented with TIM and I experimented with different pressures and mounting directions, nothing made a real difference until I lapped it.
Yes I have considered that the CPU heatspreader might be at the root of the problem but that doesn't really change anything as far as the solution is concerned,
as I don't think the store would let me return my CPU because of a convex base :D

In all honesty its such a simple fix and I think if you are willing to mount gigantic heatsinks to your motherboard, taking an hour to lap it (very roughly no need to go mirror polish it for 2 days) really is an insignificant investment of time and risk and therefore a nobrainer.

MikeK
Patron of SPCR

Post by MikeK » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:29 am

MikeC wrote:If you don't mind living a bit dangerously, the tip of the heatpipes caps touching or even pressing a bit against the side cover should not be detrimental -- the extra pressure and heat conduction might even help w/cooling.
Plus it would be more secure when moving the case :)

LBXAC20

Post by LBXAC20 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:36 am

MikeK wrote:
MikeC wrote:If you don't mind living a bit dangerously, the tip of the heatpipes caps touching or even pressing a bit against the side cover should not be detrimental -- the extra pressure and heat conduction might even help w/cooling.
Plus it would be more secure when moving the case :)
The stock fan sticks out way above the heatsink so if anything you'll be hitting the fan not the heatpipes. It might not be as ideal because it could dislodge the fanclips if you're unlucky

llee8820

Post by llee8820 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:08 pm

I just wanted to post this because I'm just amazed at seeing another Lawrence Lee. It's rare enough to meet another person named Lawrence, but seeing it with my last name too?!!!

Sorry for the wasted space.....good article btw :D

proci

Post by proci » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:50 am

Previous Thermalright heatsinks have had multiple socket support, but this is the first time using a single backplate for both Intel and AMD mounts.

Actually, the first iteration of IFX14 (with the bundled IFX10 backplate cooler) had a single backplate for both vendors. Afterwards came the amd/intel only variants.

The TY150 seems like a very promising fan (found information that the OEM is Sanyo Denky), but the clearance is an issue: I would swap my two TY140 on my IFX14 for them, but I'm not sure, if the fan could fit in my CM Cosmos RC1000, which is one quite bit tower... The same applies for the heatsink.

The fact that it performs good with a 140+mm fan is not a surprise, I had the same experience with my IFX14. A pair of TY140 defeated a pair of SFlex 1900 by a good margin (yeah, they are loud att full speed, but I use them mostly at 5V // 660-700rpm).

The base looks actually quite decent to me. It is not perfect, but hey, remember the time when some vendors sold prelapped TRUEs, because the inital base was so badly made? :twisted:

vlee

Post by vlee » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:57 am

Will this heatsink and fan combo fit inside a Silverstone FT02 case? (my google-fu was unable to confirm)

Also, I can only find the dual-fan Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E variant online. Hopefully that performs at least as well as the reviewed unit and can fit in a Silverstone FT02 case.

PowerHungry

Post by PowerHungry » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:13 am

I was surprised to find the Archon SB-E for sale on Amazon. I didn't know they offered Thermalright products!

lb_felipe

Post by lb_felipe » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:08 pm

vlee wrote:Will this heatsink and fan combo fit inside a Silverstone FT02 case? (my google-fu was unable to confirm)

Also, I can only find the dual-fan Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E variant online. Hopefully that performs at least as well as the reviewed unit and can fit in a Silverstone FT02 case.
Still, our main caution is about size. At 172 mm, it's one of the tallest heatsinks on the market, too tall for even for fairly big ATX cases. By our measurements, its height exceeds the clearance limit of popular noise-conscious cases like the Corsair Obsidian 550D, Fractal Define Mini, SilverStone Temjin TJ08-E, and Cooler Master Silencio 450/550.
SilverStone states that it doesn't fit:
Limitation of CPU cooler: 165mm
However I surprised the fact that the FT02 doesn't appear to be incompatible in the review, although it has not been cited as compatible.