Corsair Force GS 240GB: Toggle-mode SandForce SSD

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Corsair Force GS 240GB: Toggle-mode SandForce SSD

Post by Lawrence Lee » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:40 am

Mallee

Re: Corsair Force GS 240GB: Toggle-mode SandForce SSD

Post by Mallee » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:22 pm

And the noise characteristics of the drive are ............ what?

I know that most SSDs are assumed to be silent, but this isn't always the case.

Page 2 of the review leads with the testing procedure which is all about measuring the noise levels of the drive. Yet there is no mention of noise testing within the review, not even a comment to say that it is inaudible (or not).

I would have thought that a review published in SilentPCreview would at least comment on noise levels. But otherwise a great review.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:18 pm

Heh, the copypasted portion does look odd now that you think about it. I guess the closest we get is a fair guess that it's not squealing if there is no mention of that.

nizer

Post by nizer » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:37 am

Mallee wrote:I would have thought that a review published in SilentPCreview would at least comment on noise levels. But otherwise a great review.
Yep, I just want to support this observation - where is SPCR going with all these SSD reviews, bored from measuring noise levels? :)

Best
Casper

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:54 am

nizer wrote:
Mallee wrote:I would have thought that a review published in SilentPCreview would at least comment on noise levels. But otherwise a great review.
Yep, I just want to support this observation - where is SPCR going with all these SSD reviews, bored from measuring noise levels? :)

Best
Casper
SSDs are a pretty big part of a truly silent rig. With a 256 GB one you can do without HDDs, assuming you have a NAS or similar external storage. Then again it might just be for the free samples... :lol:

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:23 am

A while back there was a great deal on Kingston HyperX 3k SSDs so I upgraded from Corsair Force 3 I had before.
Both 120GB Sandforce drives but the Force 3 is the "value" end with the slowest type of flash where the Kingston has top-end Toggle mode flash, like the Force GS reviewed. I thought my PC was plenty fast before but it no boots up noticeably faster than before! So there is a perceivable difference, more-or-less everything else seems the same but very quick before anyway so probably wouldn't notice if it's faster.

Regards, Seb

nizer

Post by nizer » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:58 am

Das_Saunamies wrote:
nizer wrote:

Best
Casper
SSDs are a pretty big part of a truly silent rig. With a 256 GB one you can do without HDDs, assuming you have a NAS or similar external storage. Then again it might just be for the free samples... :lol:
Yes, I agree that SSDs are an important component, and the fact that reviewing them might give a free sample (we all have to live), but as a long term reader (6 years) I would just like to point out, that I come to SPCR to read reviews of vital components or noisy components (cases, coolers, fans, PSU, graphic cards, cpus, hard drives that spin) with a thoroughness with respect to heat/noise no other English site can do. Every site can review a ssd, and large sites like anandtech etc do that very well. But anandtech and others stink at making noise and heat analysis in a systematic and reliable way. And that gift isn't as needed when it comes to reviewing SSDs.

Hope I presented my point in a respectful and constructive manner :)

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:39 am

nizer wrote:Every site can review a ssd, and large sites like anandtech etc do that very well
You only grow with new challenges :wink:

And in my view, only spcr can test from spcr perspective. Maybe just because i like the way the team writes.

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:12 pm

Sorry guys, it's completely silent, like every other SSD we've tested except for the Zalman S Series.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:51 pm

Thanks for the confirmation!

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:27 pm

Lawrence Lee wrote:Sorry guys, it's completely silent, like every other SSD we've tested except for the Zalman S Series.
Funniest comment I read on SPRC in a while. Classic.

Mallee

Post by Mallee » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:33 am

Lawrence Lee wrote:Sorry guys, it's completely silent, like every other SSD we've tested except for the Zalman S Series.
Thanks Lawrence