Advice on new build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thmcmahon

Advice on new build

Post by thmcmahon » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:30 pm

Hi guys

Here's a new mini-itx gaming build that I'm putting together. I'm pretty happy with the parts I've selected. I've only bought the case/psu/motherboard though, so happy to consider other options.

I'm looking for advice on what fan / cooling selections I should make for the case/cpu/graphics card to minimise noise. I'm a total noob at minimising PC case noise - so apologies for any ignorance.

Cheers.

Tom

PSU - Corsair AX650
Case - Bitfenix Prodigy
Mobo - ASUS P8Z77-I
HDD - Samsung 830 Series 256g
RAM - Kingston HyperX 8G Kit
GPU - 3G Gigabyte OC 7970
CPU - i5-3570K

lapon

Re: Advice on new build

Post by lapon » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:23 pm

That is a cute little case. Probably not bad for keeping quiet and cool. I have no idea where that GPU will go, that case looks pretty full, though if the hard drive slot comes out it might be OK. I would get a fan for the front to blow air over the GPU, something in the 800RPM range should move enough air and be quiet. Both fan slots can handle 140mm fans, I would probably invest in two, one for the front and one for the back. A fan controller program, if the mobo supports that would probably be great once you get the system up to keep the case fans spun down until you need it. That vented side cover will let a lot of sound out, so I would cover it up to keep the noise low. The forums have lots of suggestions for what kinds of material to use for that.

thmcmahon

Post by thmcmahon » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:56 pm

lapon wrote:That is a cute little case. Probably not bad for keeping quiet and cool. I have no idea where that GPU will go, that case looks pretty full, though if the hard drive slot comes out it might be OK. I would get a fan for the front to blow air over the GPU, something in the 800RPM range should move enough air and be quiet. Both fan slots can handle 140mm fans, I would probably invest in two, one for the front and one for the back. A fan controller program, if the mobo supports that would probably be great once you get the system up to keep the case fans spun down until you need it. That vented side cover will let a lot of sound out, so I would cover it up to keep the noise low. The forums have lots of suggestions for what kinds of material to use for that.
Cheers for the advice - I'll look into the fan controller situation. There only seems to be one chassis fan on my motherboard, so not sure how that will go.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:39 pm

thmcmahon wrote: PSU - Corsair AX650
Case - Bitfenix Prodigy
Mobo - ASUS P8Z77-I
HDD - Samsung 830 Series 256g
RAM - Kingston HyperX 8G Kit
GPU - 3G Gigabyte OC 7970
CPU - i5-3570K
Nice build! Especially like the no HDDs approach, first step on the road to true silence, if you ask me. :wink:

Immediate observations:

- Am I right in assuming that mobo is the Deluxe? I can't find the "bog-standard" P8Z77-I on Asus' site.

- Biggest noise source three-fan GPU cooler. Gigabyte WindForce has a good rep, but three fans + powerful GPU is not ideal.
... How about a cooler GPU, like a 7850? Plays modern games, some 80-90 W less power consumption on average under load.
... Cooler card also means cooler workspace!

- PSU wattage over the top. That rig should peak at 300 W draw or thereabouts.
... Less wattage might even mean compact dimensions. Shop around!
... If you change case, you could go with a passive PSU for true silence.

+ CPU cooler: Cooler Master EVO 212 or Noctua NH-U12P or Thermalright HR-02 Macho. All SPCR approved.
... EVO cheap, questionable fan. Your basic good cooler.
... NH-U12P solid all-rounder, expensive, comes with 2 excellent fans.
... Macho is super for low-airflow cooling, i.e. less RPM, less noise! Can even try semipassive cooling if you have the control.
... Bitfenix promises a whopping 175 mm of clearance so most 120 mm tower coolers should fit.

+ 1 case fan, exhaust. No HDDs to cool, so GPU cooler just needs an intake, not necessarily a fan.
... Scythe Slipstream might be nice. Check SPCR reviews to pick your poison.

- Case is leaky. Looks nice, but too many holes and no padding.
... No padding common issue with ITX cases.
... Quiet components still need a good case to become silent.

Ren0ir

Post by Ren0ir » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:19 pm

Das_Saunamies wrote: - Case is leaky. Looks nice, but too many holes and no padding.
... No padding common issue with ITX cases.
... Quiet components still need a good case to become silent.
I wouldn't be too worried about noise leaking out. SPCR achieved pretty good results with an Antec 900: http://www.silentpcreview.com/Silent_Mi ... stallation. Different thermal output I realize, but still.

As Das_Saunamies pointed out, the major problem will be the GPU. Either consider some aggressive fan control, forcing you to accept higher temperatures, or you could look at aftermarket coolers like the Accelero Xtreme. Also depends on your average ambient noise levels and your noise tolerance. Buy the card that delivers the performance you want and see whether its cooler bugs you, when the system is up and running.

I've been thinking about getting a mini-ITX build much like the one you have proposed here, so I'll be looking forward to seeing what kind of results you end up with.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:06 am

At the Scythe Mugen 3 to the list of CPU coolers as well. The fan is great (can be run at 300 rpm) and the Mugen 2 could compete with much pricier coolers according to SPCR.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:02 am

No Ac Accelero i'm afraid, because there's only room for a two-slot cooler. Specially the Windforce coolers have been praised for their quiteness compared to stock AMD, but not from spcr-like pages, so i assume the worst for now.

I agree that you should aim for a less power hungry GPU. Given 1080p, what games do you play needing that much horsepower?