Motherboard Replacement Question

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

NeilBlanchard

Motherboard Replacement Question

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:26 pm

Hi,

A friend's Core 2 Duo computer that had an Asus motherboard had the PCIe slot fail. So we had to buy what was available; an Intel micro ATX motherboard. He is running WinXP, and the reinstall won't work -- it keeps going back to the beginning of the reinstallation.

So, what would be the best way to get WinXP up and running -- a reformat is not really an option, and we'd like to not have to reinstall all the programs. Should we do a "fresh" installation and risk the dual boot confusion, or can I delete the old Windows folder and still have program installed and running after all is said and done?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Motherboard Replacement Question

Post by xan_user » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:42 pm

ive had some luck doing the "repair" install when dealing with a new mobo swap. ymmv
(ive not followed this exact tutorial before, but it looked good/accurate when i skimmed it)
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operating ... epair1.htm

good luck!

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:20 am

Unfortunately, that is the first thing I tried, and it just restarts the process on the first reboot. :-(

Any other thoughts?

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:56 am

How far down the installation does it go ?

edh

Post by edh » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:20 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Should we do a "fresh" installation and risk the dual boot confusion
You can quite easily get rid of this by editing the hidden 'ntldr' or something file on the root of the installation drive. I'd go this root if you really have to reinstall Windows.

Why does Windows need to be reinstalled as such? Does it no longer start up properly given the huge upheaval of a motherboard swap? Does safe mode work at all? If you can get into safe mode then you could try Drivercleaner to get rid of the leftover drivers from the old motherboard. That might then allow it to boot normally.

You might also want to have a look at some LiveCD's. Some of them offer many more tools than Windows repair to get a system working again.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:58 pm

It seems that the new motherboard could not handle the SATA hard drive on the first reboot. We could not find the "F6 SCSI driver" for this motherboard, and it didn't come with a actual driver disk; just a CD-R that they had pulled together. We got it up and running (sort of) by using an IDE/PATA hard drive, although now it will not do *any* Windows Updates and IE crashes, and after installing Eset Smart Security, the desktop takes *forever* to start working...

This is a refurbished/leftover motherboard, and it shows. There are not very many S775 motherboards left on sale, and so we are struggling to get this machine back on it's feet, as it were.

washu

Post by washu » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:18 pm

If you at some point did a repair install you may have a mixed up service pack and/or IE version. Install the latest SP and then IE from the full installers. Download them on another PC and USB/Network them over.

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:12 am

Be sure that AHCI is disabled. That's what needs the F6 driver. XP support of that feature is spotty at best.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:16 am

Thanks -- we did try the Repair Installation, so I'll try to get WinXP SP3 and IE8 downloaded here at home and burn them on to CD-R's.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:37 am

I downloaded the self-installing WinXP SP3 and IE8 and two other recommended security updates, burned a CD-R and they installed on the rebuilt system without a hitch. :)

Afterward, all the Microsoft Updates installed properly.

The fly in the ointment is that now Eset Smart Security 5 bungs up the Internet. It warns us that the online filter is corrupted and not working, and we then can no longer get online at all. Sigh... Any thoughts on this?

I'm going to clone the IDE drive onto the SATA drive after everything is installed, and then we'll disconnect the IDE drive and save it as a safe bootable drive, for our friend Justin Case.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:54 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:The fly in the ointment is that now Eset Smart Security 5 bungs up the Internet. It warns us that the online filter is corrupted and not working, and we then can no longer get online at all. Sigh... Any thoughts on this?
I love when your protection s/w protects you from connectivity :)

Uninstall it and try Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, low overhead, low hassle.

washu

Post by washu » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:57 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:I'm going to clone the IDE drive onto the SATA drive after everything is installed, and then we'll disconnect the IDE drive and save it as a safe bootable drive, for our friend Justin Case.
Now is a good time to enable AHCI. Enable it in the BIOS then make sure XP sees the controller driver and the empty SATA drive. After you clone it should just work.

I second removing Eset Smart Security 5 and using MSE. You may have to install Eset again before you can uninstall it.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:03 pm

You didn't mention if the new chipset is the same as the old chipset. Such a change would have given you the least amount of grief. But either way it should have let you do an install.

Did you new mobo come with any drivers? They are usually a few related to the chipset somewhere.

My $0.02 FWIW

Aris