Case does matter (GD05 to P183)

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Matt3o

Case does matter (GD05 to P183)

Post by Matt3o » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:03 am

You'll read that changing case does little to make your PC quieter. You have to start from quiet components... but if you already have quiet components, the case does matter. At least in my experience.

I'm not a silent PC guru, but thanks to this site and forum I carefully cherry picked my cpu cooler, fans, HD, GPU, etc. I wanted a small case so I got a Silverstone GD05, coming from a standard noisy PC I was quite satisfied by the very low noise of my new rig but after a while I started to notice it.

I read that the case doesn't impact that much on the overall noise but I ordered an Antec P183 anyway (I had a P180 once and it was great). Well, of course they are 2 completely different cases, but noise is definitely reduced by a good amount. The PC went from being silent to being (almost) mute.

The GD05 was vibrating too much I think, if I put a hand on the top of the case I could feel it vibrating, while the P183 is steady like a rock. In a couple of weeks I'm sure I'll start noticing the noise of this new setup as well... you can always make it more silent :)

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Case does matter (GD05 to P183)

Post by Das_Saunamies » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:42 am

The case is the finishing touch that brings it all together. I second your observation in general (not having owned a Silverstone case), and have personally sworn not to buy or recommend a leaky, flimsy or non-insulated case ever again. 8)

Cod

Post by Cod » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:53 pm

Great post! I have the GD05 and haven't noticed much vibration at all. I had some vibration problems with the ODD inside the case, but nothing outside. Bottom line, like you stated, the components make up 97% of the silent puzzle.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:51 am

Matt3o wrote:You'll read that changing case does little to make your PC quieter. You have to start from quiet components...
the only reason you read 'changing the case doesnt really matter', is because so many people come here and want to silence a 6,000 rpm tornado cooler and eight 1,500 rpm system fans by cramming it all in some magical silent case. as the saying goes, you shouldn't put the cart in front of the horse.

you did it right by choosing all quiet parts, and finished it off by putting it in a good, sturdy, roomy case.