Best out of the box card with lowest idle noise for gaming

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

silenceorgtfo

Best out of the box card with lowest idle noise for gaming

Post by silenceorgtfo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:03 pm

As the title says, it's pretty simple: Whats the best card out there that will not require removing parts and buying 3rd party ones, that will have the best idle levels out there while performing as best as possible in games?

From the research I've done it seem like the 7850 by MSI is the best candidate out there:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/ ... on/27.html

Peformance wise it seems pretty powerful, placing number 13 in the world:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video ... on+HD+7850

The reason I need super quiet idle and I don't care that much about load is because when im on idle it means im surfing the web chilling, so I like to relax and any noise disturbs me. I also work with audio (write electronic music) so I need as much silence as possible because I go surgical on there with sound.

Im also a gamer, so I like to play games at decent frame rates and decent graphical settings, which means im willing to compromise load noise if I get better performance. Also when im playing I usually blast speakers/headphones loud enough that combined with the actual gameplay I don't care about background noise that much.
If im watching an HD movie with Splash EX Pro where it uses GPU for maximun video fidelity and I get annoyed I would try to play around with riva tunner and limit the fan noise + crank louder speakers/cans and deal with it.

There is no price limit.

My MB is a bit old: Gigabyte x38 DQ6. It has PCI Express x16 support.
There shouldn't be any incompatibilities afaik, but I mention it just in case.

PSU is a Enermax Infinity 720W which is pretty solid.

CPU is your regular Q6600

Everything has been and will be running at default speeds so no OC's of any kind.

Im replacing my old 3870x2 which im pretty sure died today. I get 2 red static leds on it and a black screen when I boot. Looks like a dead card to me. Repeated crashes while gaming/video make me think this. I will bring it to a shop for testing but im ready for the bad news. It's time to upgrade anyway. This thing was a monster back in the day (first GPU to hit 1GB) but now it's pretty old and noisy. 7850 should be a mega upgrade and the first upgrade for my dream totally silent-focused rig in the future.

Cheers

AckeDman

Re: Best out of the box card with lowest idle noise for gami

Post by AckeDman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:06 am

silenceorgtfo wrote:As the title says, it's pretty simple: Whats the best card out there that will not require removing parts and buying 3rd party ones, that will have the best idle levels out there while performing as best as possible in games?

From the research I've done it seem like the 7850 by MSI is the best candidate out there:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/ ... on/27.html

Peformance wise it seems pretty powerful, placing number 13 in the world:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video ... on+HD+7850

The reason I need super quiet idle and I don't care that much about load is because when im on idle it means im surfing the web chilling, so I like to relax and any noise disturbs me. I also work with audio (write electronic music) so I need as much silence as possible because I go surgical on there with sound.

Im also a gamer, so I like to play games at decent frame rates and decent graphical settings, which means im willing to compromise load noise if I get better performance. Also when im playing I usually blast speakers/headphones loud enough that combined with the actual gameplay I don't care about background noise that much.
If im watching an HD movie with Splash EX Pro where it uses GPU for maximun video fidelity and I get annoyed I would try to play around with riva tunner and limit the fan noise + crank louder speakers/cans and deal with it.

There is no price limit.

My MB is a bit old: Gigabyte x38 DQ6. It has PCI Express x16 support.
There shouldn't be any incompatibilities afaik, but I mention it just in case.

PSU is a Enermax Infinity 720W which is pretty solid.

CPU is your regular Q6600

Everything has been and will be running at default speeds so no OC's of any kind.

Im replacing my old 3870x2 which im pretty sure died today. I get 2 red static leds on it and a black screen when I boot. Looks like a dead card to me. Repeated crashes while gaming/video make me think this. I will bring it to a shop for testing but im ready for the bad news. It's time to upgrade anyway. This thing was a monster back in the day (first GPU to hit 1GB) but now it's pretty old and noisy. 7850 should be a mega upgrade and the first upgrade for my dream totally silent-focused rig in the future.

Cheers
I bought and installed the Asus GTX 660Ti yesterday and it is inaudible in my system. It is also a equivavalent to a HD7950-7970 in performance but equivavalent to a HD7850-7870 in temps. Also i noticed that the card seem to be able to go down to 10% on the fans, i doubt its accurate thou considering the starting voltage would then have to be incredible. It is without a doubt SPCR level quiet.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:41 am

I like the MSI TwinFrozr IV design. So, the 7850 you linked is a good choice at ~$200. MSI's GTX 660 Ti at ~$300 is also good. I wouldn't bother with anything higher performance than the GTX 660Ti as you'd probably be CPU limited.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:42 am

Read what I wrote here.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=64951

I listed my fans and fan speeds to give you an idea of how quiet the card is at idle, as yet I haven't pushed the card in games for any period of time with the speakers off.

Andy

silenceorgtfo

Post by silenceorgtfo » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:02 am

I finally went for the R7850 PE. I think higher performance than this would be overkill and bootlenecked on my current system, and I don't plan to upgrade the rest of my computer anytime soon so it's pointless. Will report back with noise perception. Probably the only thing I can hear at least in idle will be the rest of the components, like the 5 fans I have, the big asus CPU fan or the PSU fan (is the Enermax Infinity 720W decent with noise levels? i can't find any review on this).

Probably my next update will be a Define R4.

Thanks

Olaf van der Spek

Post by Olaf van der Spek » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:37 am

AckeDman wrote: I bought and installed the Asus GTX 660Ti yesterday and it is inaudible in my system. It is also a equivavalent to a HD7950-7970 in performance
Got a reference?
On average the 7970 should be significantly faster.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:19 am

Olaf van der Spek wrote:Got a reference?
On average the 7970 should be significantly faster.
Here's Techpowerup's summary. The answer varies depending on the screen resolution as well as the amount of bling turned on.

Olaf van der Spek

Post by Olaf van der Spek » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:10 am

Looks like the 7970 is 18% faster at 1200p over the default 660 Ti. The 7870 has better performance/W than 660 Ti though.
Shame TPU doesn't provide a way to present the results 1v1.