It is currently Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: What PSU to buy?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:58 am
Posts: 2
I'm building a new system but can't decide on which PSU to get.
I figure I need about 400 Watt (i5 3570 @ 4,2 GHz, 2x4Gb ram, ati 7770, 3HDDs, 1 SSD, DVD, tv-card, 3 casefans).
As I like the system to be reasonable quiet for a modest price I was thinking about:
Nexus Value 430 (50 euro)
Seasonic S12II-Bronze 430W (60 euro)

The nexus is probably the most silent of these two. However, the Nexus is quite an old design and only got 4 SATA connectors. Is the Seasonic loud compared to the Nexus or will it do fine for reasonable silence?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks


Last edited by haaz on Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What PSU to buy?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:49 pm
Posts: 1188
Location: UK
Seasonic have the new G-series PSU although it is only just becoming available. Better than the old S12II no doubt.

_________________
Silverstone SG03B: E8200, Asus P5E-VM HDMI, 2Gb RAM, Leadtek 9600GT+S1 rev. 2, Samsung 500Gb, Seasonic X-400, 2x Akasa 120mm, Scythe Zipang 2 fanless


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What PSU to buy?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:33 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Posts: 11803
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
edh wrote:
Seasonic have the new G-series PSU although it is only just becoming available. Better than the old S12II no doubt.

Yes! I've just had a 360W sample on my test bench for prelim examination: It's extremely quiet, hard to tell when it's on at a meter, the fan seems to run ~700rpm. From very close up, there's the usual mix of a tiny bit of buzzing and fan noise, but in normal use, I'd expect the thing to be silent. That plus 80+ Gold efficiency: This series will be a winner.

_________________
Mike Chin,
Editor/Publisher, SPCR
Support SPCR with your donations!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What PSU to buy?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:51 am 
Offline
Friend of SPCR

Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:41 am
Posts: 708
Location: Denmark
MikeC wrote:
edh wrote:
Seasonic have the new G-series PSU although it is only just becoming available. Better than the old S12II no doubt.

Yes! I've just had a 360W sample on my test bench for prelim examination: It's extremely quiet, hard to tell when it's on at a meter, the fan seems to run ~700rpm. From very close up, there's the usual mix of a tiny bit of buzzing and fan noise, but in normal use, I'd expect the thing to be silent. That plus 80+ Gold efficiency: This series will be a winner.


I'm looking really forward to the review of the G 360W

_________________
Cooler Master Elite 341, Athlon II X3 425, Radeon 5750 (passive, fan zip-tied on), Crucial M4 64 GB.
Cooling: AC Alpine 64 Pro, rear exhaust Scythe Slipstream 800 rpm @ ~5 V


"SSD's: The difference between a casual jogger and a dog chasing a ball"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What PSU to buy?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:58 am
Posts: 2
That sounds nice. But what about the price? I can't afford spending toomuch on a PSU. Hope it is about the same price as the S12II.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available in the netherlands (yet).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What PSU to buy?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:22 am 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:36 am
Posts: 4432
Location: Monterey Bay, CA
haaz wrote:
That sounds nice. But what about the price? I can't afford spending toomuch on a PSU. Hope it is about the same price as the S12II.


MSRP is $60USD. Already on sale for $51. If I were to throw more money at any one part of my system, it'd be the PSU. It's the longest lasting PC component (other than possibly the case).

_________________
1080p Gaming build: i5-4670K, Mugen 4, MSI Z87-G45, MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming, 8GB 1866 RAM, Samsung Evo 250GB, WD Red 2TB, Samsung DVD burner, Fractal Define R4, Antec True Quiet 140 (2 front + rear) case fans, Seasonic X-560. 35-40W idle, 45-55W video streaming, 170-200W WoW, 200-230W Rift, 318W stress test (Prime95 + Furmark)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group