P8Z77-I Deluxe + NH-L12

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

faugusztin

P8Z77-I Deluxe + NH-L12

Post by faugusztin » Thu May 17, 2012 10:04 pm

Just a few images for those interested in this combination :

As you can see, everything fits just fine, except few small issues :
1) the 9.2cm fan had to be pushed back to heatpipes as much as possible, because otherwise it would block the first RAM slot.
2) the 9.2cm fan holder on the VRM module side had to put there before the fan was pushed in, and then i had to put the bottom part through fan holes with the fan and cooler already mounted, which was "fun".

The only problem i found later was that while installing the board in PC-Q08, the heatpipe closest to the VRM module was hitting the mounting bracket of hard drive holders inside the case, but it was possible to mount the board, it was just a little bit harder to do.

The cooler doesn't block anything, it is well clear of PCI-E socket, i was even able to use the top white SATA3 connector without a issue.

Initial testing shows ~30C idle and ~55C load temperatures at stock clocks (1.6 idle - 3.6GHz OCCT).

Slaskvlask

Re: P8Z77-I Deluxe + NH-L12

Post by Slaskvlask » Fri May 18, 2012 12:27 am

It won't be in my "must buy" list. :-\

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by victorhortalives » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:17 am

faugusztin wrote:Just a few images for those interested in this combination :

As you can see, everything fits just fine, except few small issues :
1) the 9.2cm fan had to be pushed back to heatpipes as much as possible, because otherwise it would block the first RAM slot.
2) the 9.2cm fan holder on the VRM module side had to put there before the fan was pushed in, and then i had to put the bottom part through fan holes with the fan and cooler already mounted, which was "fun".

The only problem i found later was that while installing the board in PC-Q08, the heatpipe closest to the VRM module was hitting the mounting bracket of hard drive holders inside the case, but it was possible to mount the board, it was just a little bit harder to do.

The cooler doesn't block anything, it is well clear of PCI-E socket, i was even able to use the top white SATA3 connector without a issue.

Initial testing shows ~30C idle and ~55C load temperatures at stock clocks (1.6 idle - 3.6GHz OCCT).
I have same board with the bigger Noctua unit - the NH C14. I only have the one top fan working as the space is too tight. I also had to remove the back case fan as the spacing was too tight !
Question for you : Can the Asus mobo control the fans on your Noctua ? I can't on mine. The fan rpm is about right but no ability to change rpm.

faugusztin

Post by faugusztin » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:53 am

Yes it can control the fans, but keep in mind that the fans that come with NH-L12 are PWM fans. Your NH-C14 come with non-PWM NF-P14 fans.

victorhortalives
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by victorhortalives » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:06 am

Yes, I realised that after doing some more investigating and contacting Noctua. I added the lowest speed add-in resistor and now I have both fans running at 750rpm which is acceptable (the other one is acting as an exhaust fan). I might buy two converters that allow PWM control of 3 pin fans (or I might not ).

If I did this again then I would get the same Noctua that you have !