Replacement Fan For MSI E350IS-E45

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jamesm113

Replacement Fan For MSI E350IS-E45

Post by jamesm113 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:11 pm

Looking for a replacement fan for my MSI mini ITX AMD hudson board.

The stock fan a Power Logic PLA04010S12M-1. 40mmx10mm and rated for .08A @ 12V, but I can't find reliable CFM or dB ratings.

Any recommendations for the replacement fan? Using an Antec ISK300-65 with the stock Antec 3 speed fan set on low. It's next on my replacement list, but the 40mm is noiser.

Thanks!

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Re: Replacement Fan For MSI E350IS-E45

Post by andyb » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:12 am

Looking for a replacement fan for my MSI mini ITX AMD hudson board
To be honest, you might not even need one, it just depends on the case that you have.

I built 4 ITX PC's using Asrock E350M1 motherboards in Antec ISK300-150 cases, I added the extra 80mm case fan and removed the CPU fans.

The next bit required a huge amount of amazing thinking and genius craftsmanship :mrgreen: I cut out pieces of the motherboard boxes to fit inside the case with a bend in the cardboard so that the cardboard touched the top of the CPU heatsink - this directed the airflow of the 2 80mm fans across the CPU heatsink - perfectly cool, much quieter and far less prone to failure as with this setup the system would still stay cool if one of the fans failed.

So, back to you, you simply might not need the fan, just a bit of ducting to a case fan will do as they are so low powered the smallest amount of airflow will do perfectly well.

FYI: links below to compare motherboards, the design, layout and heatsink size are very similar.

http://uk.msi.com/product/mb/E350IS-E45.html

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=E350M1

Andy

jamesm113

Post by jamesm113 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:21 am

andyb wrote:
Looking for a replacement fan for my MSI mini ITX AMD hudson board
To be honest, you might not even need one, it just depends on the case that you have.

I built 4 ITX PC's using Asrock E350M1 motherboards in Antec ISK300-150 cases, I added the extra 80mm case fan and removed the CPU fans.

The next bit required a huge amount of amazing thinking and genius craftsmanship :mrgreen: I cut out pieces of the motherboard boxes to fit inside the case with a bend in the cardboard so that the cardboard touched the top of the CPU heatsink - this directed the airflow of the 2 80mm fans across the CPU heatsink - perfectly cool, much quieter and far less prone to failure as with this setup the system would still stay cool if one of the fans failed.

So, back to you, you simply might not need the fan, just a bit of ducting to a case fan will do as they are so low powered the smallest amount of airflow will do perfectly well.

FYI: links below to compare motherboards, the design, layout and heatsink size are very similar.

http://uk.msi.com/product/mb/E350IS-E45.html

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=E350M1

Andy
Good idea, I'll have to monitor temps and do a before and after comparison.

Which 80mm fans do you have in there? I'd like to attach one to the CPU fan connector on the mainboard so it can ramp up the fan speed if necessary, but the Antec fan lacks the 3 pin connector.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:01 am

I had the Antec fan to the left side (looking at it from the outside), and added an Arctic Cooling F8 (not to be confused with the F8 TC, or the F8 Pro), the Antec fan was set to low, and I honestly cant remember how I had the F8 wired up - I would have attached it to one of the motherboard headers, whichever one allowed it to run the slowest (if you don't have a fan attached to the CPU header you often have to disable the warning in the BIOS).

You can see from the 4 images that I have attached how it works, and the box I used was from a Corsair CX430W PSU (the old box, shiny side on the fan side to reduce dust buildup) - its not corrugated cardboard so it bends without "snapping", but is thick enough to stay there - that and its wedged so even if its shaken (I did because it has an SSD) the cardboard wont move.

Andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:09 am

4th picture, from the top - you can see where I have wedged the cardboard - I had to cut out small pieces so that it didn't interfere with the power cable from the power brick.

What impact this would have on HDD temps I don't know for sure. The ones in the pictures all had 16GB Kingston SSD's that are always cold. The other one that I built had a 500GB 5400 rpm HDD and was built as a media-centre PC, I dont remember how hot the drive got, just that it didn't get close to being a concern.

They are all over 12-months old, and they are all working perfectly. The 3 that were built for the same company are all positioned as a mini-tower, so I had to make sure that the duct did not cover the vents.

Andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.