Main computer and gaming rig

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BeerCan

Main computer and gaming rig

Post by BeerCan » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:25 pm

I am setting up a system as my main computer that will also double as my gaming rig. I would like it to be quiet at most times but I would not mind if it ramps up a little when I am gaming. Because of this the Asus boards with fanxpert seem to be a good choice. I also play around with overclocking my cpu and gpu but I am not hardcore. Also sometimes I run a second video card (nvidia) so I can have physx in games I like (that support it). It is a 9800gt single slot but I may be getting a dual slot 450 from a friend.

What I am thinking
MB: Asus p8z77a-v pro or the sabertooth. -- suggestions welcomed
GPU : Saphire 7970
Ram: Samsung LP
HS: Havik, phanteks, Noctua etc.
Drive: 1 ssd,1 HDD and 1 optical
Case: ??? I would like something not to large. I have a p183 in another computer and it is the absolute largest I would like to go. smaller would be better
PSU: Nice 5-600w unit

So I need most of my help picking a suitable case. I would like it to be smaller than the antec 183 and have good thermal and noise characteristics. I have no issues buying replacement fans for a case as needed. Second I would like PSU recommendations. Budget is very flexible, but I don't need/want to spend money unnecessarily. Thanks

CA_Steve

Re: Main computer and gaming rig

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:50 pm

I've never tried running two discrete graphics cards that weren't using the same driver....can you mix/match Nvidia and ATI and have them both work?

That said, instead of bogging the system down with two cards (especially with an old 9800GT that idles at 35W), why not just get the appropriate GTX 6xx card and be done? What's your gaming resolution and games you want to play? If at 1080p, you can just get a GTX 660 (next week, probably $225-250) or GTX 660 TI (~$300).

If you move back to 1 dGPU, then you don't need a high end ATX mobo to support multiple GPUs. If you want FanXpert2, then get the z77-V. If you don't want to turn the fans off, but still be able to set profiles, then get any of the Z77-V LE, LK, etc that have the features you want. Or, look at the mATX versions if you want to aim for a much smaller case.

PSU: Seasonic X-560, Kingwin LZP-550.

BeerCan

Post by BeerCan » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:12 pm

CA_Steve wrote:I've never tried running two discrete graphics cards that weren't using the same driver....can you mix/match Nvidia and ATI and have them both work?

That said, instead of bogging the system down with two cards (especially with an old 9800GT that idles at 35W), why not just get the appropriate GTX 6xx card and be done? What's your gaming resolution and games you want to play? If at 1080p, you can just get a GTX 660 (next week, probably $225-250) or GTX 660 TI (~$300).

If you move back to 1 dGPU, then you don't need a high end ATX mobo to support multiple GPUs. If you want FanXpert2, then get the z77-V. If you don't want to turn the fans off, but still be able to set profiles, then get any of the Z77-V LE, LK, etc that have the features you want. Or, look at the mATX versions if you want to aim for a much smaller case.

PSU: Seasonic X-560, Kingwin LZP-550.
Thanks Steve. I already have the GPU (and the ssd's) they are coming from the system being replaced. You can use the AMD and Nvidia card together. It is a bit of a hack but it works fine for me. It is not absolutely necessary, but I like the little extras it gives me in some games. FYI http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/2213 ... olved.html If I can't use the nividia card for whatever reason I would not lose any sleep over it. Thanks for the PSU suggestions. Any feeling on a case? I have plenty of room to fit a case, it just seems that because I don't have many add-in's all the space seems wasted. My p183 has/had 1 hdd and 1 optical drive it it and lots of spare room. Thanks.

washu

Post by washu » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:33 pm

CA_Steve wrote:I've never tried running two discrete graphics cards that weren't using the same driver....can you mix/match Nvidia and ATI and have them both work?
This works fine if the following conditions are met:

- Running Windows 7
- All video cards have WDDM version 1.1 drivers. For anything relatively recent this is a non issue.

If the cards only have WDDM 1.0 drivers (ie, Vista drivers) or Vista is the OS it won't work.

I've setup all combinations of graphics cards and they have all worked fine. ATI/Intel, Nvidia/Intel, ATI/Nvidia and even ATI/Intel/Nvidia in triple head. All work fine if the drivers are up to date.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:10 pm

Thanks - I learned something new today :D

Cases - you see wasted space, I see unobstructed airflow :) In the mid tower range: Fractal Define R4, Corsair 550D, Solo II are the first three that come to mind. There's also the P280. All have been reviewed here (the R3 version of the Fractal). Pick one that has the features/looks you like the best. I think any of them can be tuned for quiet performance.

BeerCan

Post by BeerCan » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:58 am

I want to order the case from amazon so the solo II and the 550D would be available. I have had good luck with antec in the past but the solo seemed to get a lukewarm reception. Nice to see the good review here. I hope the power button issue is truly fixed.

If I did go with the solo what fans would you recommend for the front of it? I ordered the power supply yesterday and I appreciate the advice

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:04 am

BeerCan wrote: If I did go with the solo what fans would you recommend for the front of it? I ordered the power supply yesterday and I appreciate the advice
I would advice you to buy Scythe Slipstream 120 mm (500 or 800 rpm, depending on how tolerable you are to noise). They can run at very low speeds (500 rpm is dead silent), they are quiet cheap and they push a good amount of air.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:13 am

Or, go for the PWM version.

BeerCan

Post by BeerCan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:44 am

Well on a whim and in a moment of weakness I purchased the Silverstone Fortress FT02 for my case. Probably bigger and definitely more expensive than I needed, but I succumbed to its sexiness.

fyleow

Post by fyleow » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:33 pm

BeerCan wrote:Well on a whim and in a moment of weakness I purchased the Silverstone Fortress FT02 for my case. Probably bigger and definitely more expensive than I needed, but I succumbed to its sexiness.
The FT02 is definitely bigger than the P183 :)

I don't blame you, if the FT02 wasn't over $200 I'd get one too.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:01 pm

It's a nice sturdy case - I've considered it for a build as well.