New Scythe "Glide Stream" fan series

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

andyb
Patron of SPCR

New Scythe "Glide Stream" fan series

Post by andyb » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:34 pm

There are 9 models in total, 7 of them are fixed speed fans, and the other 2 are PWM fans.

They all include a new blade design and vibration dampening rubber corners on both sides.

More info in the link below - thanks go to Techpowerup.

http://www.techpowerup.com/172038/Scyth ... eries.html

Andy
Last edited by andyb on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

CA_Steve

Re: New Scythe "Glide Steam" fan series

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:19 pm

nice.

mkk

Post by mkk » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:21 pm

At first I was irked that I was getting some fan for a new build and wouldn't have time to wait. But then I saw that these were all 120mm's and that it wouldn't matter anyway since I was going for all 140's.
(Edit: Oh, there's supposedly a 140mm version using the Slip Stream 140's frame design, meaning non standard shape and 120mm mounting holes. Not bad but I think I prefer straight 140's, and cases can work best with such.)

Anyway, I doubt they can be noticeably better than the existing Slip Stream line. That rubber for instance, would be unnecessary on Slip Stream 120's since they simply don't vibrate. At the very least not the speed models "we" go for. There's a risk that this oddly named (oh wait, it's Glide Stream, that's almost normal heh) series will cost more primarily for their looks, but we'll see some day. ;)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:34 am

Well, perhaps there's a couple in this new series that can directly replace the (apparently) discontinued, and certainly not available anywhere in the US 500 & 800 rpm Gentle Typhoons.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Re: New Scythe "Glide Stream" fan series

Post by andyb » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:33 am

There's a risk that this oddly named (oh wait, it's Glide Stream, that's almost normal heh) series will cost more primarily for their looks, but we'll see some day. ;)
Typo fixed.

The expected cost in the article I linked to seem to be "reasonable" for such quiet fans, my hope is that the "Slip Stream" fans will drop in price and will continue to be manufactured, this would help everyone who wants so silence computers as this will automatically generate a price war which is always beneficial for "us" the consumers.
That rubber for instance, would be unnecessary on Slip Stream 120's since they simply don't vibrate. At the very least not the speed models "we" go for.
I have no problem with Scythe adding these rubber pads, not least because it wont hurt to add them (especially on heatsinks, which are far more prone to have 50-60 very thin aluminium fins vibrate) as well as those models that are higher rpm or are PWM fans that can spin up to higher levels where vibration is more likely and reducing it is a good thing. Adding to this, some newer Antec fans (as well as others) now have rubber dampening on them, again this is something that is very good for the consumer as this is likely to catch on with other manufacturers, which is a big boon all round.

Andy

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:14 am

Presentation Video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 535RlCDK6o

It includes the specs for every model, including the 140mm versions.

Andy

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:00 am

They look good -- I like the blade geometry. They are swept forward, but the "trailing" part of the blade in in the middle -- the hub end of the blades "leads" the middle by a bit. That means that the air flow will only "slip back" as far as the rear-most portion of the blade, and since that is in the middle (rather than at the hub) these fans should push a bit more air at a given RPM.