Quick question

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mettyx

Quick question

Post by Mettyx » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:01 am

Which CPU cooler would keep temperature under 60C(full load) for i5 3570k overclocked to 4GHz, or not overclocked at all(i5 3570 without the k)

Would Big Shuriken do the job in both cases, if not which one would?
Last edited by Mettyx on Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Re: Quick question

Post by kuzzia » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:05 am

The temperature rise for the i5 2400 is 48 C when the stock fan runs at a noise level at 12 dBA/1m. If your ambient temperature is 20 C, then the temperature is 3 C above your threshold. But the i5 2400 has a TDP pf 95 W, while the 3570k only has a 77 W TDP.

But remember, this is when the CPU is benchmarked. The load will almost never occur even when using CPU-intensive applications.

Mettyx

Post by Mettyx » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:13 pm

you didn't say anything about the cooler, would Big Shuriken be enough, I don't like those other giant CPU coolers...

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:43 pm

Oh, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I was writing about the Shuriken Rev B.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1270-page7.html

Mettyx

Post by Mettyx » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:12 pm

kuzzia wrote:Oh, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I was writing about the Shuriken Rev B.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1270-page7.html
That doesn't tell me how would it cool i5 3570k overclocked to 4GHz, I thought there would be a large pool of people on this forum to know this.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi, I would think the Big Shuriken would cool a 3570k at full load. Whether it could do so very quietly I'm not so sure, probably not with temps under 60°C. However for Ivybridge I would suggest that with synthetic full load, or something like Handbrake, temps under 80°C are acceptable and a lot easier to achieve quietly. My 2600k, which is admittedly a Sandybridge and significantly different to Ivybridge, doesn't throttle till the reported core temps get to around 95°C!

The case, case cooling and ambient temperature will all have large impact on your results, more details will help to give more precise answers but no one can say for sure, you pretty much have to make best guess at what will work and then try it!

I did build a i5 3570k based PC a while back for a friend doing Photoshop work. I can't remember the load temp exactly, but pretty reasonable I think with a Gelid Gran Tranqillo cooling it, and doing so at minimum rpm, ~600rpm. Chosen as was cheapest 120mm fan tower from eTailor at the time. I also tried it overclocked to 4.2GHz and wasn't much hotter, which surprised me as reports of Ivybridge overclocking say heat rapidly becomes a problem... I think if you don't go over stock voltage (much) and then settle for the fastest stable clock speed from that heat isn't so much an issue.

As you're asking about Big Shuriken do you have space / budget constraints or worries about very large heatsinks?
If not the Coolermaster Hyper 212 is very good considering it's very low price. If the stock fan isn't good enough for your taste then it still doesn't break the bank including a better fan.

Unlike the NH-C14 + 2x TY140 PWM fans I've got! Speaking of which the NH-L12 is about as good as it gets in relatively compact top-down heatsinks and the NH-C14 is as good as it gets for top-downs. Remember that even without a top fan you need to allow some room for air to get in to (or out of in my case) the top of the heatsink, although some will go through the sides. Even more so with a top fan, for the NH-C14 with two fans I suggest not less than 140mm case clearance and 115mm with single fan.
The NH-L12 needs 75mm or 110mm clearance, Noctua heatsinks are premium products and priced accordingly. You pays your money and takes your choice.

These have all been reviewed by SPCR along with many others if you want more details.

Hope this helps some, Seb

Mettyx

Post by Mettyx » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:18 pm

I forgot to ask, is overclocking 3570k to 4.0GHz considered to be a mild overclock?

P.S.
Noctua products don't exist in my country.

mkk

Post by mkk » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:29 am

Yes it's a fairly mild overclock but in my mind also a very reasonable level to go for. To reach 4GHz one usually won't need to raise the voltage much, if at all, and the Ivy Bridge CPU's practical temperatures ramp up especially quickly with core voltage. After a bit of testing to find the ideal voltage I was able to run my i5-3570K at 4GHz and keep the core voltage as low as 1.12V, which is considerably lower than had the motherboard been left to automatically decide for itself. Though motherboards may handle that differently of course.

I'd bet that the Big Shuriken would not quite be able to keep the temperature below 60C and remain reasonably quiet with standard clock. Also these low profile coolers are usually only used in cases with confined space, which can complicate the target of quiet cooling further.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:35 am

the i5-3570K build i just did for my brother OC'ed to 4.1 with no issue. it stayed well under 60c with full prime 95 load on all cores. (but that was with a xigamtek tower cooler not a horizontal cooler like big shuriken. also there is some surprise from other 3570k owners about my temps being lower than theirs...it might be possible that intel addressed their tim issue on a new batch of chips..?)

Mettyx

Post by Mettyx » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:42 pm

I decided to go with SCYTHE Mugen3 PCGH Edition, it's not that big and the price difference is small.

Although I'm not clear about one thing, if it has 2 fans it has also 2 connectors but motherboards usually have 1 CPU fan slot for auto-regulation?

mkk

Post by mkk » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:05 pm

Some motherboards can regulate two or more fan connectors, or you could use a Y-connector cable to run both fans on the CPU fan connector. Since they ship that cooler with two 800 RPM fans it will be pretty quiet even if both fans were constantly running at full speed.

Mettyx

Post by Mettyx » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:48 am

I just came across this very disturbing forum post saying that 3570k is the worst of its kind.
so much for overclocking, I knew there was a reason I never overclocked anything.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:00 pm

Mettyx wrote:I just came across this very disturbing forum post saying that 3570k is the worst of its kind.
so much for overclocking, I knew there was a reason I never overclocked anything.
As other people pointed out, with Rev. B Intel seems to have changed something with the TIM used inside the CPU. So, as true as it has been, your link seems obsolete as of today.

Mettyx

Post by Mettyx » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:01 am

Pappnaas wrote:
Mettyx wrote:I just came across this very disturbing forum post saying that 3570k is the worst of its kind.
As other people pointed out, with Rev. B Intel seems to have changed something with the TIM used inside the CPU. So, as true as it has been, your link seems obsolete as of today.
How can you tell if retailers have the latest version, I just checked several stores and they all have the label like this. There is no "rev.B" anywhere!

Always some complications.. :x

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:37 pm

the one i got from newegg ran cooler than everyone expected... the batch number was "3222B285" dunno if that refers to the rev B or not...

Mettyx

Post by Mettyx » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:54 pm

So based on this I can't know if it is the old one or the fixed one.

Maybe Intel recalled them?