Any recommendations for a 80mm x 15mm PSU fan?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ruu

Any recommendations for a 80mm x 15mm PSU fan?

Post by Ruu » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:15 am

I just ordered a Silverstone ST45SF-G for an ITX build that I am working on, and all anecdotal evidence suggests that the bitty little fan in this PSU is noisy and irritating. I'm thinking about swapping out the fan, but of course 80x15mm fans are rare, and reliable+quiet ones might as well not exist!

So far, I've only seen mention of a SilenX fan and a Sanyo Denki fan that even try to be quiet at this small size. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Also, I am worried about providing sufficient cooling to the PSU if I do a fan swap. I'm not 100% committed to swapping the fan at this point, just trying to get some input/ideas. :wink:

edh

Re: Any recommendations for a 80mm x 15mm PSU fan?

Post by edh » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:59 am

How is the PSU going to fit your case? If there is space by the PSU fan intake you could fit an 80x25mm fan on the outside instead. This would give you better airflow/noise.

Ruu

Post by Ruu » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:23 am

edh wrote:How is the PSU going to fit your case? If there is space by the PSU fan intake you could fit an 80x25mm fan on the outside instead.
The case I'm using is a BitFenix Prodigy. The mounting area for the PSU is separated from the main chamber by a small metal "cage" and there really isn't very much wriggle room, hence why I decided to go with an ITX PSU instead of trying to cram a standard ATX PSU in there.

Here is the manufacturer's page for the BitFenix case; you can see some of the interior shots.

edh

Post by edh » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:06 am

Looking at the PSU mounting in the BitFenix I would still side with an ATX PSU. The extra space around an SFF PSU won't be any real use in this case other than tidying spare power cables. I would think that a G-360 would be ideal given it's short length, allowing 20mm at the front for power cables to be tidied in and giving you a much quieter 120mm fan.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:28 am

Looking at the PSU mounting in the BitFenix I would still side with an ATX PSU. The extra space around an SFF PSU won't be any real use in this case other than tidying spare power cables. I would think that a G-360 would be ideal given it's short length, allowing 20mm at the front for power cables to be tidied in and giving you a much quieter 120mm fan.
+1

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Seasonic_G360

Not sure where you are, but it is available in the UK soon, and at a reasonable price all things considered.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/360w-sea ... et-fan-psu

Andy