Advice on small factor Office-PC

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

antonbj

Advice on small factor Office-PC

Post by antonbj » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:50 am

Hello. I'm currently putting together a small computer for my mother.

I intend to build in a Antec ISK-110 VESA mounted on back of a monitor.

These are the parts i've decided on so far:

Gigabyte GA-A75N-USB3
AMD A-Series A4-3300
Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 8GB
Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB

What really boggs my mind is deciding on the CPU-Cooler.
I'm not really convinced on AMD's stock-cooler cooling capabilities. I'm looking at the Scythe Kozuti at this moment. But i'm not at all sure it wont extend over my motherboards edge. What do you think?
Should i trust the Stock-cooler or do you have any other recommendations?

Thank you in advance.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Advice on small factor Office-PC

Post by Das_Saunamies » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:21 am

Kozuti is SPCR Recommended and the smallest cooler I can think of, so only choice I can see here. Reference coolers have been nothing but miserable in my experience.

Scythe specs say the Kozuti is 110 x 103 x 40 mm. Assuming it's symmetrical, that is 110 / 2 = 55 mm and 103 / 2 = 51.5 mm from the CPU centre, respectively. The short side faces the RAM slots (i.e. cooler is longer sideways).

Edit1: ignore prior math, wrong figures.

Edit2: redid the math. The mini-ITX board is 170 x 170 mm (not 150 mm), and the picture I have puts this board at 890 px across, so 170 mm / 890 px = 0,1910112359550562 mm/px. I'm not sure about this mounting scheme, but I PRESUME the centre point is centre of the CPU's area in the socket. From this point, there is 54 mm of clearance to the second RAM slot, meaning the Kozuti MIGHT fit, but you can't use the first RAM slot. The bottom edge is not a problem, since there is 70 mm of clearance that way.

It's a tight squeeze overall with a "flat" cooler.

PS. Out of curiosity, I measured the GA-H77N-WIFI using the same method, there the sideways clearance is 59 mm, so the Kozuti should definitely work with just 1 RAM stick.