Silent Antec CHEAPly

Show off your quiet rig.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:44 am

is it just me, or is anyone else not able to understand what he's saying?

Noto

Post by Noto » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:05 pm

Fayd wrote:is it just me, or is anyone else not able to understand what he's saying?
colm wrote:It's in plain English, maybe you can learn it some time.
Obviously I've taken the liberty to correct it into proper English. Perhaps some people should go back and read my previous post several times until it sinks in that Colm is a Grade A Computer Idiot who shouldn't be allowed to open up a PC.

colm

update: trolls suck

Post by colm » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:59 pm

Noto wrote:
Fayd wrote:is it just me, or is anyone else not able to understand what he's saying?
colm wrote:It's in plain English, maybe you can learn it some time.
Obviously I've taken the liberty to correct it into proper English. Perhaps some people should go back and read my previous post several times until it sinks in that Colm is a Grade A Computer Idiot who shouldn't be allowed to open up a PC.
maybe we can fight to death ? someday?

Is thier a way to stop attacking adults here?
I still wait for the message that saved some innocent builders life....

I have already taken complaints to the u.s gov't, (that was back when some of you were born, or not even thought of)
That too, is also in my english. Quite understood by everybody but trolls.

I came to update the thread...

high temps
172 cpu ! (fake. Reverse cool offsets with big aluminum sink)
123 system
113 lo system (very unusual for me)
still 3 fans, power is the most precise run of any I have had yet. I am very glad to have taken my time with it for the extra chores.

this is the four phase difference, my old board was 3..(underpowered),and the error correction in the memory is indeed active. I found that changing settings actually happens with this setup,That would be a GREAT necessity for power and cooling would it not? :roll:

So, as it reads higher than I have ever seen, it is actually the smartest...unlike a forum troll, it actuallyseems to be working precisely.

the hdd is now at 24650 hours, for only a couple hundred hours on this setup if that.
I have changed my mind about the wimpy sata upgrade. (I said wimpy, like a forum troll)

my pata goes 55mb/s for, well, 24650 hours so far...
I decided to grab at a ram deal for 4gb ECC registered to get back to my rather lengthy program I wrote with tcl and C, and make it as precise as integrity will allow. It is in final writings, I may offer it to the web after ECC compile by workstation....that belongs in another forum to talk about, most likely...
I have read up on the lack of vista seeing the whole 4gb, and it is yet another whining hoax by a ninny in IT, like a forum troll, it broadcast all over the web and hurt the truth. The fact is, no machine sees all of its ram, it is reserved by bios for addresses of pci etc, agp aperture (color map)..the more ram you get, especially in vid cards..the less the system sees to use, and may report it all anyway, as a liar, like a troll of useless information.
so it is indeed gaining more ram, regardless of what a lack of knowledge may have rumored all over the world, like a forum troll would.

Next post, If it does not catch on fire (j/k) I wil post of the speed difference in 4g ECC ram versus the non-ECC running now, etc etc.

And I did find an ignore option here, I am going to use it...

Noto

Re: update: trolls suck. That'll be $10 please

Post by Noto » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:06 am

colm wrote: maybe we can fight to death ? someday?
I'm sorry but I'm not one for fighting the mentally challenged, it's just not cool. I can give you a sticker and a lollypop for being a good boy thought if you just stop this bollocks you're telling people.
colm wrote:Is thier a way to stop attacking adults here?
I still wait for the message that saved some innocent builders life....
Well first off you could read this, then read it again to make sure you've understood it all, then get someone to test you on what you've read. Then you could perhaps move up to this and do the same as with the previous book.

colm wrote:I have already taken complaints to the u.s gov't, (that was back when some of you were born, or not even thought of)
I imagine people mocked me when I said you were going to replace God almighty himself but look, see the wonder that is Colm who can predict the future! I imagine that phonecall must have been interesting.

"Hello, Mr President? In the year of two thousand and nine I will be typing a load of crap which doesn't really make sence to anyone other than myself and some people will call me out on it but I'm not going to listen Mr President, no siree! Think I might go shoot something now yeehaw!"
colm wrote:That too, is also in my english. Quite understood by everybody but trolls.
Now there's your problem! Your English is very bad English, I recommend learning the Queen's English (or at the very least the defiled version you Yanks use).
colm wrote:I came to update the thread...

high temps
172 cpu ! (fake. Reverse cool offsets with big aluminum sink)
123 system
113 lo system (very unusual for me)
still 3 fans, power is the most precise run of any I have had yet. I am very glad to have taken my time with it for the extra chores.
How can a temp of 77C (Sorry, I don't work in F, it's pretty old school) be fake? It's perfectly possible for a P4 to reach 77C, doesn't mean it's a good idea but it's certainly possible. Also, may I ask what a reverse cool is and why is it offset with a kitchen sink?
colm wrote: this is the four phase difference, my old board was 3..(underpowered),and the error correction in the memory is indeed active. I found that changing settings actually happens with this setup,That would be a GREAT necessity for power and cooling would it not? :roll:
Perhaps checking to make sure you were hitting Save & Continue would be a great necessity for power and cooling.
colm wrote:So, as it reads higher than I have ever seen, it is actually the smartest...unlike a forum troll, it actuallyseems to be working precisely.
This computer of yours appears to have surpassed you, have you ever considered submitting yourself to the take Turing test?
colm wrote:the hdd is now at 24650 hours, for only a couple hundred hours on this setup if that.
I have changed my mind about the wimpy sata upgrade. (I said wimpy, like a forum troll)

my pata goes 55mb/s for, well, 24650 hours so far...
Not bad, you've obviously got a fairly decent hard drive there but it never hurts to upgrade to newer, better technology.
colm wrote:I decided to grab at a ram deal for 4gb ECC registered to get back to my rather lengthy program I wrote with tcl and C, and make it as precise as integrity will allow. It is in final writings, I may offer it to the web after ECC compile by workstation....that belongs in another forum to talk about, most likely...
Oh dear god no, for the sake of all that is holy (My Lord!) please never ever release that program because no one will ever be able to understand the documentation because of your English (your English being A Bad Thingâ„¢ remember).
colm wrote:I have read up on the lack of vista seeing the whole 4gb, and it is yet another whining hoax by a ninny in IT, like a forum troll, it broadcast all over the web and hurt the truth. The fact is, no machine sees all of its ram, it is reserved by bios for addresses of pci etc, agp aperture (color map)..the more ram you get, especially in vid cards..the less the system sees to use, and may report it all anyway, as a liar, like a troll of useless information.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, this is more of this information you seem to have gathered that is just simply wrong, seriously you should ask about these things before making assumptions. There really is no harm in asking questions on things we don't know about, it's how we learn as Humans but reading something and taking it as 100% The Truth® can be A Bad Thing™. It's more of a case that your system can see all of the memory in there, it just can't use it all.
colm wrote:so it is indeed gaining more ram, regardless of what a lack of knowledge may have rumored all over the world, like a forum troll would.
But then Vista 32bit can only address 4GB of RAM, anymore than that and it's programming cannot make use of the extra RAM, it just won't.
colm wrote:Next post, If it does not catch on fire (j/k) I wil post of the speed difference in 4g ECC ram versus the non-ECC running now, etc etc.
It might catch fire if you keep ignoring those "fake" temps. I recommend selling your computer and resorting to the TV from now on.
colm wrote:And I did find an ignore option here, I am going to use it...
Impressive considering there doesn't actually appear to be one here.

swivelguy2

Post by swivelguy2 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:59 am

So the guy's a little silly, and doesn't write quite perfectly. Big deal. What compelled you to join the forums just to beat on the guy?

How about trying to make a contribution of your own to the discussion of quiet computing, rather than merely spewing destructive criticism?

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:23 am

Hey Noto,
Is Colm hurting/harming anyone ? No. I like reading his experiments and ideas, even if sometimes it does sound a bit silly. But does it matter ? No.

Like swivelguy2 says :
How about trying to make a contribution of your own to the discussion of quiet computing, rather than merely spewing destructive criticism?
To Colm : where did you get those weird looking zip ties ? the ones with the wholes in them ? Are they easier to reuse compared to the other kind ?

colm

update: ECC ram

Post by colm » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:25 am

I did get the ECC ram, installed by itself as a pair. (click thumbnail)
copper heatsinks, a must do in my own advice, or any heat spreader.
4gb is no probs in vista premium, PAE enabled took a day for some odd reason. It is a fresh board, and expect strangeness like this at some settings. At 3gb, I felt the system was an abyss that could do anyhting I threw at it..4gb has several more advantages, only the system uses.
memtest86+ is 41 minutes for this machine, standard test.
The ECC is faster than the regular... :roll:

The case was urethaned only a month ago, all is well, the calmest machine to date...and the biggest. I will be doing the chore with future cases.

a gain of dynamic paging mode, performance acceleration technology, and hyper threaded at timings of 3-3-3-8, still on 3 fans.

And I may be bringing this thread to a close on updates, I have a private log I keep anyway, and leave it at the ms-6728 for most of it.

It seems what I have done and learned this past four years, seems to have assured my doubts out loud. I hope it helps new builders sometime.

I still post on SPCR, I just will not be posting here.

The case is maximized. I did recently get a rotary tool to really make some custom workings, but decided I like all the secc this case is made of to stay that way.

and one last photo:

a pc can survive. Silence is only most of it.
Last edited by colm on Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PartEleven
Friend of SPCR

Post by PartEleven » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:56 am

frenchie wrote:Hey Noto,
Is Colm hurting/harming anyone ? No. I like reading his experiments and ideas, even if sometimes it does sound a bit silly. But does it matter ? No.
He may not have worded it as nicely as he could have, but I can see where Noto is coming from. Every one of colm's posts are complete nonsense. I can't even make out wtf he is saying without rereading each post multiple times. And I would guess that's also why this thread doesn't have many replies from other users. Nobody can understand what colm is saying. I believe it would be helpful for colm if we let him know we just don't understand what he is trying to communicate so if he cares enough he could try to fix that.

Also, I'm going to go ahead and assume that colm isn't a trained electrician. Do we really want him poking around inside power supplies? You can really hurt yourself if you short the wrong thing inside a PSU.

mark314
Friend of SPCR

Post by mark314 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:56 am

Noto,

We appreciate your points that you've made about colm being a bit strange. Welcome to the real world, where not everyone is an identical, normal speaking, prim and proper Englishman like yourself.
Well first off you could read this, then read it again to make sure you've understood it all, then get someone to test you on what you've read. Then you could perhaps move up to this and do the same as with the previous book.
Your grammar and spelling is terrific. We bow to your superior grammar. On the Internet.

Too bad you screwed it up here:
I can give you a sticker and a lollypop for being a good boy thought if you just stop this bollocks you're telling people.
and here,
which doesn't really make sence to anyone
and here.
have you ever considered submitting yourself to the take Turing test?
Also, you might want to realize that when colm mentions a
big aluminum sink
he's referring to a heatsink, not a kitchen sink.

Don't be a dick and correct spelling. Don't be insulting. Did it ever occur to you that English might not be his first language? Jeez.

colm

Re: Silent Antec CHEAPly

Post by colm » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:22 pm

been awhile since I posted for the non "engrish" crowd "tortowing" this "thwed".

this same machine is still running, still xp 90 cooling, home made duct.. the same everything. I did upgrade to ecc ram for the videos a few years ago.

3400mhz

this photo overlapped with a post from 2009 because it has the same name.. this post is the accurate one.

40000 hours = 4.56 years runtime.

I still want pins on my cpu..but am looking to evolve. (the same case)
as for now, the 875pbz and my own history of 12 years in modern computing to derive an opinion..it is the first I would call a classic that does not need to be thrown away.

this sits dormant some nights to gain the updates from windows, else, I am at it all day. I have sat in front of this machine at least 4 and a quarter of the four and a half years.

amazing to me. I am glad I learned something here.

oh, and still on 3 fans. I made my own ball bearing version out of several for the main case fan (reverse duct) some time ago..not a single weird noise from cold to warm, many many hours.

from first post until now.. the 2.8e went to my brothers computer (I built him one) just recently he told me it is errored because his friend did something to it. It made me mad.. because I gave him some excellent stuff.

the 40k hour on hdd is the original from the 2006 build, 5 years and about 9 months ago. The cpu is of course that old too. Both cd/rw roms have come and gone..and needing yet another one. That is still a disappintment today...the roms don't last in anything I have built.

I still have an ati card..3650, the monster accelero cooler (spotted here in a review..excellent stuff)

what else...well. I have gained some gray hairs going for 39 next month, and I forget what I built at times. This same case has been in use since 2004. all mods going for silence. This place works for advice. I first appeared here in 2001 with an athlon, was a screaming devil. My nick and all sources of origin erased. It is to say I have been here quite some time.. this is my best five years of computing ever.

colm

Post by colm » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:14 pm

been awhile.
still doing good. Alot of think ..I forgot how much time it took to build my own with all the hours that have passed.

This one does not even like to get dirty. Runs for days.

Antec_Rep

Post by Antec_Rep » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:35 am

Very nice custom job on one of our older cases, glad to see people repurposing Antec's cases! :D

colm

Post by colm » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:44 pm

Antec_Rep wrote:Very nice custom job on one of our older cases, glad to see people repurposing Antec's cases! :D
woops. have not been here since june.

once verfying a genuine .8mm.... yes. I did keep it for quite some time, and future too as it is going.

I have not had to do anything since the work in previous posts here. The only one problem was hdd area needed some rivets (before anything had time to sag) ..and a really big pile of automotive 2 part urethane. But as for the heart of the metal..excellent. Still on 3 fans and a 3400mhz. I also preserved psu with urethane on pc board, my locale is sloppier than seattle (not being offensive). That may be the true savior.

Not sure what is next, it will be this box.

this hdd timer here is not total hours on box. I must be over 50k hours now in all.

edit: wow. closer to 100k. It seems 90k hours is pretty accurate.

I hope to see real steel in the future too. no windows and fancy lights and fans all over.

colm

cooling duct update

Post by colm » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:57 am

as colder months move in, I think of some extras for the pc..being indoors closed in.

took the prototype duct that went many hours..made of cardboard, clear tape, and made one out of a stainless steel tractor trailer moon mirror (thanks dad), with about a million miles on it in the wind. Really. true story. ..
and some SECC from a hewlitt packard computer of old. perfect half round duct.

as temps are a hoax to read after 46833 hours to prove it, I only noticed a "direct write" update, all else is the same except very rapid cooldown. my own reads 185F at maximum, of course a hoax.. it seems to be off by +40F since the day I went reverse duct, more than 60,000 hours ago.

still the same 3 fans..the one I made for the cpu sucking out the back of case is the most hours I have ever got on 1 fan, and still more to go. I actually made the front one too. I wanted a 1500rpm with digging blades. gets dirty often, right where I want the crud of reality to stay...the front fan.

keep on trucking.
:wink:

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:28 pm

Shiny !! :)

Are you not afraid of shorting something out with the stainless steel ?

colm

Post by colm » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:48 pm

no fear of shorts..heatsinks are actually sharper.
the edges are folded by hand for the duct.

the decibals due to the shape is cool too.
I was careful to leave the dome of round steel as well as utilize the exact half round with a premanufactured edge. I only squared up at heatsink with some bends. being stronger metal, no games with drooping over time etc.
the last trick was rivets act as a snap on to fan on back of case, while front of duct is bent to be slightly spring loaded with the SECC.
paper tape is for sealing and silence.

the 3400mhz is large on an intel ECC 72 bit board..I never have replicated a slot 1 p2 350..but it is close. Very peculiar large working sound...at a nice micron size.

it is getting to be an old giant I presume. Stainless is nice there...

tim851

Post by tim851 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:10 am

This thread would have made Franz Kafka proud.

colm

Post by colm » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:51 pm

tim851 wrote:This thread would have made Franz Kafka proud.
as if I give a shit.

Monkeh16

Post by Monkeh16 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:20 am

Careful, he might use his magic heatshrink to make your fans spin faster.

edh

Post by edh » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:25 am

colm wrote:as if I give a shit.
Well obviously you do because you chose to post such a response. Very ironic!

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:01 pm

That gives the word "bug" a completly different meaning :lol:

colm

Post by colm » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:14 pm

hello all,
been awhile since october.
this should be my last year for this mobo, I may be leaving intel for asus..but still intel...and keeping this box.

I am beyond enjoying workstation/server with ecc ram, glad to find the p8b to continue that trend. The ecc is miraculous here, very bad environment. My most successful ever...alot of dollars lost over the years, this has been a sweet setup.

50000 hours is due in february at the current rate of my runtime.

I just gave it the last upgrade, now with three sticks of ecc kingston, ddr 400.
cost? 17 bucks from a network that ran 875pbz.

Quite a workhorse.

an interesting thing about dual channel. This one with ecc enabled is fatser with 3 sticks, and tha machine cooled down. A bit different I guess. I still have copper coolers on all the memory.

the ati 3650 to this day is still utilizing avivo to squash big videos with hardware encoding. My only reason for upgrading was thwarted to that function.

till next time..I'll log in at 50k hours if all goes well.

I won't be narrating my next board for the momma boys, but this place has some strong memories to keep. It is not like it used to be.

I still don't run on fairy tales...may this place stay the same without the dweeb.

I also turned 40. Was not expected to make it this far. Miracles do happen.

edh

Post by edh » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:04 am

colm wrote:this should be my last year for this mobo, I may be leaving intel for asus..but still intel...and keeping this box.
Great to see this still going but why would you want to reuse the case again? There are some much better cases now for silence.
colm wrote:The ecc is miraculous here, very bad environment.
What problems have you had with memory that have required you to move to ECC? It may be used for servers but is overkill for home systems. Do you suffer from major electircal or magnetic interference?
colm wrote:an interesting thing about dual channel. This one with ecc enabled is fatser with 3 sticks
Interesting find. How did you test the RAM to find this? Memtesk86+ can give you useful bandwidth numbers for comparisons. Normally it works the other way round with adding in a 3rd stick breaking dual channel.
colm wrote:and tha machine cooled down
You added memory and the machine got cooler?

colm

Post by colm » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:03 pm

well I made it.
2083 days running = 5.7 years = 50000 hours
this seems a youthful wager made years ago, and it took several tries. I shamefully do not have my original ID for silent pc review..but it is a humbling tale.
This thread is 7 years old..but there is 5 years prior to this. This place helped, seriously so. Especially with power supplies. I ended up making my own fans. (I am the guy that got attacked by his power supply)

have fun.
I have never met anyone associated with silent pc..
I think "mike" was someone I talked to here via the forum. Thanks for the help. it is very easy today..but I won't ever forget.
for some odd reason, I remember coming here when I was twenty something.

I turned 40 in january. :lol:

there is something precise with math..if you let it happen.

7 days ahead of 7 years..call it a riddle.

Moogles

Post by Moogles » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:57 am

Happy birthday Colm!

Your dedication to this thread is admirable. I've been reading your updates for years. :-)

colm

Post by colm » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:56 pm

Moogles wrote:Happy birthday Colm!

Your dedication to this thread is admirable. I've been reading your updates for years. :-)

thanks, if you are still here.. I see the post was in March.
I am now closer to 41 than 40.
:lol:

I bought a multi threaded modem by zoom, the pc is untouched. I did move lan card down one spot.. I want a big board, giving up some speed. Old schoolers knows what I am saying.

54510 hours = 6.21 years running.

I also worked over into a flat panel lcd for the first time ever. Inherited it, did not really seek one.
Given the physics silent pc talks of.. I am not sure why I waited so long. As it turns out, my weird error in life has a problem with CRT, I noticed it after it was gone.

To good health.

I am closer to 41 than 40. I guess I explain myself.

colm

Post by colm » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:48 pm

two updates.
I made my own case fan a long time ago, started rumbling a few days ago..
bearings and pieces from 13 years in a bin, I grabbed two thin profile ball bearings. Can't remember where I got them. Never used. Sitting in high temp valvoline grease (for my Subaru) for a couple of years.

Now even more my own, by machining the front and back of fan case to take real ball bearings. So now I have a fan that was a sleeve bearing (still is) encapsulated in two ball bearings, front and rear. Triple bearings. :)

Big fan. A typical burn in, calmed right down. The rumbling range is now simply a power sound. This season is going to be unusual in weather... the pc fan says it all.
I regret no photos. Silly of me. Some finessing with dremel bits, and an actual drill bit got it done. My own clip to hold fan rod in is made of a stainless steel washer, compliments the bearing.

The LCD monitor lasted all of a couple of months, that is headed for scrap. Back to a CRT and liking it.

colm

Post by colm » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:53 am

made it to 60000.
I have deciphered high 90s percent uptime.
this survived a grotesque build by msi with the 865pe chip. Hyperthreaded etc.
that is all documented here..this thread is 8 years old now.

that was its first 20000+/- hours...seems a long time ago.

The second build is the 875pbz. This one is at 40000 hours. That was.. can't remember.. 2008 or 9 perhaps.

original everything. Use it everyday. Memory is a full house, the rare expensive ECC ram enabled, hyperhreaded, dual channel. Just filled that last channel in from a stick that came from united kingdom. Old ddr400 ECC unbuffered.

yes I have "pae enabled" for the 4gb limit. I know that is a hoax, but anyway..

some fun math..
if this 7200 rpm hdd was on earth as a wheel, it would have travelled 7 million miles.

to this day, I download files every day to make a video that lasts a year.. weather project.
zero errors.
this setup has had win2k, xp, vista and windows 7 pro.

average runtime is 27 hours...total runtime is high 90s percent, never shut it off for long. Mostly reboots trigger the counter for offs and ons. in fact, from the date of manufacture on the drive to today, shows just 3 months of 8 years being shut off.

Congrats on the 12 years for SPCR. I have been here all along. I knew to dig in way back when... none of us originals have stopped to forget.

I stopped in with a athlon 900mhz, and pentium 2 350... a very long time ago.

it is to a point now where computers can be kept running after the pentium four of the 3400 mhz kind. I think of this as the first of the real classics.

..funny enough, to this day.. I make my own fan.

nextt update:

june/july 2015

colm

Post by colm » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:43 pm

I guess I am right on schedule. The previous post claims I would be here in june or july 2015.
That was 14 months ago.

70000 hours running.
That equates to 2916 days, or 7.99 years.

Tough old custom pc. I am still using it for everything, even important tasks.
I upgragded a camera to 720p, journalising my projects is a hobby for 15 years now. I feel a need to upgrade ..

All is the same but the fan. I hacked the hole and slammed a 140mm in.

Silently. :)

I guess I'll check in again, september 2016..
Cannot promise the next 10000 hours with some changes of life coming.

my locale this year broke a cold record of 34F average to june 30, from january 1. That has no doubt helped this big old pentium 4 with the 1mb L2 cache.

I have since moved from the city, also a year ago. Computer is running in a rural locale now.

looking back at the first post..
the heatsink, the hard drive, some cables, power supply..
almost ten years old, non stop running, every day.
The cpu is a p4 with a 2003 date. That is 12 years old, purchased used.. running in this setup since 2007.

My first post was living in a rented place by an elderly couple who owned it. They have both since passed on. One was 93 in 2010, the other passed on in april of this year at 90. I drove with the husband, his last day of legally driving in 2006. He spoke of the first cars, and that he did drive them.
That was one long running married couple. An inspiration.

Real evolution.. it does not forget the past.

colm

Post by colm » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:55 am

small update

opted to clean heatsink, an autumn chore. Living rural, a window open..computer heaven.
A pleasure this year. this pc has been at 3 different addresses, including across the street from a meth house, next to a garge, railroad tracks and septic problems.
Found the arctic silver was dried up and a lot of it gone.

made my own compound, as I have made everything related to cooling anyway.
ingredients:
dielectric grease from a hot rod spark plug wire set
soft aluminum from a 1987 cellphone
graphite from a home depot pencil
diamond jewelers bit for the fine grind.

mixed it up, put it back together. Refreshed nice.

73000 hours is not far off.
will update at 75k with photos.

I also made use of aluminum foil tape, like for ducts, on my reverse cooling made from a folgers jug. Works great.

I found an interesting comd line to find original install for this operating system

2/24/2011 windows 7.
4 years 11 months 22 days
>98% uptime.

Not sure what the world record is for windows, and modern useful, actually getting used many hours a day... this one must be close.
I had xp and vista installed before this... the history of it should be in this thread, looking back at the years.