ITX HTPC/Gaming build

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

eqc.liu

ITX HTPC/Gaming build

Post by eqc.liu » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:21 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and I need some advice on what components to use for my planned upcoming build.

Due to mobility reasons, I will be downsizing from my current full powered micro-ATX gaming rig to something a lot smaller. I am no longer in need of such a powerful computer, and I want to build an HTCP/light gaming computer. The computer should be powerful enough to do all HTPC work, regular workstation tasks, and some light gaming. I will be using an external TV tuner and possibly a DAC for my sound system.

Currently after doing some research, I think the best route is to build a system off the AMD Trinity platform; I'm currently looking at the A10 5700k with a TDP of 65 watt. The integrated HD 7660 should be sufficient in playing basic games such as Team Fortress 2. My first question is: does the AMD A10 chip support QHD resolution (2560x1440)? I'm looking into using one of those Korean QHD monitors as a monitor/PC combination.

As for the case, I'm thinking of going with the Antec ISK 100. Do you guys think that the onboard 80 watt PSU will be powerful enough, or should I buy a 150 watt pico-PSU? Also, do you know if there are any aftermarket CPU heatsinks that can fit under the case's 100mm side fan?

Any help would be appreciated, and any suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks again

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: ITX HTPC/Gaming build

Post by MikeC » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:58 am

eqc.liu wrote:I'm currently looking at the A10 5700k with a TDP of 65 watt. The integrated HD 7660 should be sufficient in playing basic games such as Team Fortress 2. My first question is: does the AMD A10 chip support QHD resolution (2560x1440)? I'm looking into using one of those Korean QHD monitors as a monitor/PC combination.

As for the case, I'm thinking of going with the Antec ISK 100. Do you guys think that the onboard 80 watt PSU will be powerful enough, or should I buy a 150 watt pico-PSU? Also, do you know if there are any aftermarket CPU heatsinks that can fit under the case's 100mm side fan?
I recall seeing a 2560x1600 max res spec for the 7660.

iirc, the internal DC/DC board in the ISK100 is strictly limited to 80W... which ought to be enough if you go with no more than 2 SSD/HDDs and RAM sticks. Assuming the 65W TDP is accurate and can be reached in gameplay, you'll have maybe 5W headroom at max CPU/GPU load. afaik, the TDP of the a10-5700 has not been confirmed by any 3rd party sources yet, but in recent years, AMD has been under- rather than over-estimating its processor TDP, so try it, but if you get unexplained crashes, the power supply is probably the first suspect.

As the the HS, you're limited to 40mm height. The new Scythe Bing Shuriken 2 should just (barely) fit -- but you should consider what we did with a stock low profile Intel HS in our ISK100 review. http://www.silentpcreview.com/antec-isk100

eqc.liu

Post by eqc.liu » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Hi MikeC, thank you for your insightful response. I certainly hope that the 7660 can drive QHD resolution, that would allow my build to be a lot smaller than one where I use a dedicated video card.

I have read the SPCR review on the Antec ISK 100. I believe you are referring to when you guys ran the intel processor heatsink with the fan removed. I may do the same, except with the Scythe heatsink.

Finally, does anyone know of any upcoming ITX FM2 motherboards? I have looked around and it seems like none are available yet.

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:13 pm

the only one that's already available is an asrock one, unfortunately it's on ebay with an inflated price and only hdmi and vga outs, which only support 1920x1200 and 1920x1600 max res respectively. you will need to wait for one that has dual-dvi or displayport in order to make use of 2560x1440/1600, the good news is that all the boards i've seen that have dvi are of the dual-dvi variety.

hopefully more itx boards and the 65w a10/8s will become more widely available soon.

eqc.liu

Post by eqc.liu » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:22 pm

Sounds good. I'll keep my eye out for other FM2 ITX boards. Thanks for the help guys.

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:21 pm

There's one from MSI but, as with the Asrock board, only HDMI and VGA.

anddan

Post by anddan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:30 pm

I have the exact same need of system, and plan to do that build too, except im thinking of switching the Antec ISK for the Morex t3500. They also come in a 150w version, but im not sure if thats a good idea when it comes to external power :?

Would be nice if you could update the thread with result of the build, since 80w seems like a close call 8)