Super Flower Golden Green 350W PSU

Want to talk about one of the articles in SPCR? Here's the forum for you.
bastiaan

Re: Super Flower Golden Green 350W PSU

Post by bastiaan » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:37 pm

Any chance of you guys sticking a temperature sensor on top of a capacitor and seeing how it does in various situations? :mrgreen:

multiplexer

Post by multiplexer » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:47 pm

@MikeC: Well, as I said I have a bit of a (high-temp) skewed view on this because as somebody who actually does some power supply design (not actual ATX PSUs, very different stuff, mostly dc/dc converters) I like to design for end of life scenarios, where stuff is covered in dust. So that naturally leads to slightly higher estimates. Also, my own computers are all either completely fanless (for dust and noise reasons) or otherwise hot boxes with little ventilation, so whatever measurements I actually do are probably higher than what you will find in well-ventilated cases. Third, obviously not all computers are stationed in moderate climates. They should still work to spec at the higher end of their rated ambient temperature (which is usually 40 or 45 degrees).

Either way, even with slighly high assumptions/conjectures on the internal temperature, my point still stands on the capacitor lifetime issue, which really was all I wanted to say. The rest should only be taken as illustration.

bastiaan

Post by bastiaan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:11 pm

multiplexer wrote:Either way, even with slighly high assumptions/conjectures on the internal temperature, my point still stands on the capacitor lifetime issue, which really was all I wanted to say.
It certainly does provide one with a solid argument to buy the Seasonic G360 over this Super Flower (or similar designs from Be Quiet), all other considerations taken as equal.