Inexpensive (silent) replacement for a 400W EErPro: hint?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

batou

Inexpensive (silent) replacement for a 400W EErPro: hint?

Post by batou » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:08 am

Hi,

today, without asking me for permission, my EES400AWT died on me.
It was housed in a HTPC (z68, i5-2500k, 8 gigs, green hd, no vga).

That unit suited me well because of
1. being appreciabily quiet
2. being rel. inexpensive
3. being compact. 14cm max depth is a necessity,
because of the aerocool m40 cabinet.
4. eight-pin connector for the mobo (i can't remember the right name)

I searched a bit around and in this forum, that's what I understood so far:

- as usual, we europeans have much fewer options than others ;)
- it won't do any bad *if i can* save a few bucks more (italian here, you know the story)

new Enermax-es:
- the EESxAWT is not manifactured anymore.
- a replacement could be the triathlor line (385/450 models), but if i get it correctly, that it's not that silent when under heavy load compared to other similarly priced units ( from a comparison review with a bequiet e9 and others, i cannot find the link anymore, will add it as soon i find it again...)
- enermax units are quite pricey for this range.

Be-quiets, german brands and other more-than-12cm fans:
- unfortunately bequiet L9s won't likely fit. 14 cm depth max.
Be quiet is new to me (as the other germany-based brand that gets distributed here in italy, LC-power) so you might be able to suggest some quiet compact model maybe?
Same for Rasturbo, I don't know them or their reliability.

Seasonic:
- good old S12II could fit the bill, but I'd need at least the 430W model because of the eight-pin connector. could be found in italy but not easily (=> higher prices)

XFX ProSeries 450W (P1-450S-X2B9):
this is intriguing. priced reasonabily, afaik it's built by Seasonic.
The problem is: I don't know how it actually fares against branded Seasonics, especially in the noise department.
Protection grill looks suspiciously "squared", it seems that it's possible to push the cables against the internal fan (??).

The usual presence: Corsair CX430 v2 builder series.
Reasonabily priced, it seems that it's quiet but not as much as the old cx400 was. I have a tight budget but I can be very picky.

To sum up:
* being in italy (less options), max depth at 14cm and the presence of the 8-pin connector are the main non-noise restrictions
* noise from the ErPro was ok-ish to my ears
* would like to spend something around 50-60 euros (feel free to think "dollars")

what do you suggest?

thanks a lot in advance!

CA_Steve

Re: Inexpensive (silent) replacement for a 400W EErPro: hint

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:49 am

Perhaps the Seasonic G-360.

batou

Post by batou » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:13 pm

thanks for the suggestion; what made me exclude the g360 from the first round is the noise behaviour around 200 watts, 19dBa, and how gets "loud" just above that. It gets beaten hands down practically by every other unit in the table including the nexus value 430 (not available anymore, here).

I think that my system - as it is - without a vga installed - should peak a bit above 200 watts, but some hi-def, 10bit coded media can be pretty heavy, resource - wise.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:06 am

How do you figure the system will peak at 200+W? My estimation would be about half that, maybe a little more.

batou

Post by batou » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:20 am

I'm no expert, so I've just put some data into the enermax psu calculator, trying with both (video) "basic card" to emulate the on-die gpu (and with a top of the line vcard just for the fun of it, i don't plan to add it)

i forgot to mention that I have a whopping 5 80mm fans (including the cpu fan) and a 140mm fan (all low revved for maximum silence; that case is quite bad in airflow, achieving reliable temps was a real pain!!), and something like 4-6 usb devices.

first estimation (basic vcard) was around 235W (the second was roughly 200 watts more, but that's not relevant here)

I left all the other parameters in the psu calulator at their default/reccomended values, like "90% load" (not 100%) etc.

edh

Post by edh » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:42 am

Just because a PSU calculator gives that amount of power doesn't mean your system will use anything like it, even when maxed out. You can forget about the 'capacitor aging' factor, it's a myth used to sell bigger PSUs to 12 year olds.

Other than the 95W TDP rating of the CPU, you really don't have much in your system to use power. 10W for the hard disk lets say, 5W for the RAM, 15W for the motherboard, 10W for 6 fans (six? in an HTPC?), 200W is totally untrealistic. My system is supposed to be ~250W according to the PSU calculators but has never broken 150W in real life.

The CPU itself won't use 95W anyway, it'll use less than that, even when maxed out. Otherwise the i5-2550K wouldn't also fit into a 95W TDP.

Perhaps 120W max. The G-360 will be a good fit.

Garak

Post by Garak » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:54 am

I always thought that the Outervision calculator recommended the size of unit that you should buy, rather than give an estimation of the power the system will actually use.

PCCentre.pl measured the fan speed of the XFX ProSeries 450W Core Edition (V1) getting no higher than 600RPM.
http://pccentre.pl/article/show/xfx-pro-450w/id=17678

I think the Triathlor review you were thinking of is this:
http://tech-review.de/include.php?path= ... ntid=15490
Page 7 for noise comparison.

I think I have found the Nexus Value 430 available in Italy here:
http://www.trovaprezzi.it/prezzi_case-a ... nexus.aspx