Best video on youtube

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mettyx

Best video on youtube

Post by Mettyx » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:09 am

It 's about how reality works and how do we know it works that way and what are the implications, by a physicist Sean Carrol:

From particles to people.

I would appreciate it if moderator would embed this video.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Re: Best video on youtube

Post by andyb » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:14 pm

Thanks for the link. I wish this video had existed when I was at school, its not just amusing, but very easy to understand, concise and above all accurate and true.

Andy

Mettyx

Post by Mettyx » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:17 am

Yes, if people in the entire world would watch it and understand how reality can't work any other way it would be a completely different, better place.

Instead...Jesus, Muhammad and other primitive tribal garbage memes dominate as cognitive landscape.

Reachable
Friend of SPCR

Post by Reachable » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:34 pm

I've noticed that whenever a scientist is given any sort of significant pulpit from which to preach, when he criticizes conventional religion he will do so only at the level that conventional religion commonly gives its message from, and that makes the scientist's message no more insightful or unconventional than that of the religious.

There's a lot in 20th century physics that refutes materialism such as what this fellow is preaching as surely as it does conventional religious doctrine. The speaker is just acting as a cheerleader of rebellion, and he's not putting forth anything as far as basic notions that an intelligent teenager might not think of.

That kind of materialism, if it became universal, might bring a bit more peace to the world (as opposed to perpetually warring religions), but it ultimately lacks responsibility and truthful observation almost as much as a belief in the imminent Rapture.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:49 pm

The vast majority of what he said was telling people that physics at a certain level was really not that difficult to grasp, and explained in very simplistic terms how and why the level of physics that he was describing is just about all anyone needs to know on the average day.

Yes he did go a bit to far about the religious aspect having noting at all to do with physics at the level he was describing, but I assume that he was playing the field (e.g. he was in America, and most of the people who will wtch that video were also Americans).

Can we please keep this thread on the topic of physics and not religion, there is another thread devoted to that.

The best selection of short video's explaining individual physics questions (e.g. hollow earth) is on YouTube and is made under the name "MinutePhysics", there are many of them, they are very short and very easy to follow for almost anyone... enjoy :D

http://www.youtube.com/user/minutephysics

Andy

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:32 am

Gee, when I saw that headline, I thought it would be the Gangnam video...